Talk

Advanced search

Re Unnecessary Rudeness

(15 Posts)
QueenSconetta Fri 28-Sep-12 07:22:48

On the train this morning and the ticket inspector came asking to check tickets. He was well mannered and polite.

One person in particular just held their ticket up at the side of them, and didn't take their eyes of their phone. They made no attempt to make eye contact or say thank you etc. They behaved as if it was beneath them to acknowledge the ticket inspector.

AIBU to think this unnecessarily rude and that someone going about their job in a polite manner deserves at least a basic level of respect and not to be treated like they don't exist? Or am I just grumpy as I have Man Flu (even though I am a woman)

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 28-Sep-12 07:30:47

YANBU but, once you get sensitised to this kind of boorish or arrogant behaviour - especially mobile phone related for some reason - you start to see it everywhere. Very depressing

Ecgwynn Fri 28-Sep-12 07:49:32

In the same vein, people who order coffees/buy stuff in shops while on the phone. Get some manners!
YANBU

GoldShip Fri 28-Sep-12 07:53:10

YANBU

but it's probably a case of habit now. Making the trip day in day out

QueenSconetta Fri 28-Sep-12 08:00:21

But I have been commuting on the same route for over 10 years and I don't do it.

I loathe this. My dad answered his phone while being served in a Jewellers this week and I was very embarrassed. I work in retail and for many of us its the thing we like least about dealing with customers. I did tell him how rude it was but he doesn't see the problem. In every other way he's a lovely, polite man but he drives me nuts with his bloody mobile. He even answers it at the dinner table!

YouOldSlag Fri 28-Sep-12 08:07:57

If I'm being served at a till or cafe, I don't answer if it rings. Even an emergency can wait 60 seconds. YANBU.

I always ask myself, would I like my Dad to be treated like that?

QueenSconetta Fri 28-Sep-12 08:38:24

I don't actually have a problem with people using the phone while being served, as long as they stop to be polite e.g. 'hold on (move phone away from mouth), please may I have a cappucino' and a smile and a thank you.

Doodlekitty Fri 28-Sep-12 08:41:32

Oh god, the phone thing while being served drives me mad.

I work in a call centre and have had people tell me to hold on while they finish a conversation

WaitingForMe Fri 28-Sep-12 08:45:08

It never bothered me when I was on the receiving end in retail so I've never considered it rude.

Particularly on trains when I'm working on my laptop I'll put my ticket next to me rather than disturb my train of thought by getting interrupted. I'll smile at the person if I'm on the phone but I won't end the call to pay for a newspaper or whatever.

Wandawingsthe2nd Fri 28-Sep-12 08:45:24

Is this after you have rung them Doodle? If that's the case then you can wait!

Wandawingsthe2nd Fri 28-Sep-12 08:46:15

Ah, just realised your first paragraph. Probably once they've rung you. Very rude.

YouOldSlag Fri 28-Sep-12 11:58:02

Queen- yes as long as they are pleasantly acknowledged and not blanked like a servant I think that's OK.

WorraLiberty Fri 28-Sep-12 12:02:34

YABVVU

What if the passenger was logged in to MN and taking part in an enthralling thread about P&C spaces?!? shock

I'm sure you wouldn't expect them to acknowledge anyone as they're gripped with a thrilling topic like that?

I mean what if they looked up at the inspector, smiled and then MN deleted the thread before they had a chance to read the last message?? shock

<< Shudders >>

QueenSconetta Fri 28-Sep-12 12:09:50

Lol Worra.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now