Talk

Advanced search

to ask what you would do if your 4 year old

(17 Posts)
threeorangesocksmorganisagirl Thu 27-Sep-12 22:40:39

was some how able to leave school and walk home on their own, and yes cross roads.
just saw a story on the news of a little lad doing this.
I can imagine I would want heads on a plate.....
aibu
(disclaimer my ds is a man now)

quoteunquote Thu 27-Sep-12 22:51:18

it's happened from our local school,more than once, horrible.

larks35 Thu 27-Sep-12 22:58:24

very scary, particularly as my ds(3 now but will be at school next year) would come home to a locked house sad, that's if the scatterbrain he is managed to find home!

Ullena Thu 27-Sep-12 23:03:31

blush I did this as a child! I decided that I didn't want to stay for the afterschool's club and told the TA I was going home...she must have thought I had permission as she let me leave.

I recall my mother's face when she opened the front door. It went from shock to angry rather rapidly...

YellowDinosaur Thu 27-Sep-12 23:52:18

I did this too. When I was 4/5. Walked down a hill, asked a lady to help me cross a main road and pitched up as my Mum was having lunch! Not sure the school even realised I wasn't there until my Mum brought me back either!

Strawhatpirate Fri 28-Sep-12 00:00:27

My nephew developed a weird obsession with trying to do this last year! He was four as well weirdly enough. He would calmly try to explain to us that he was a big boy and it was fine. The whole thing lasted about 3 months and then he just kind of forgot about it and moved on. Luckily he never launched a solo going home expedition.

Pandemoniaa Fri 28-Sep-12 00:08:10

Well I'd start by speaking to the school. Not BBC South East who are unlikely to be able to put appropriate measures in place to try and avoid this happening again.

Startailoforangeandgold Fri 28-Sep-12 00:12:30

If it had been DD1 I'd have been annoyed, but not 100% surprised.

I chose her nursery partly as the one that looked hardest to escape from. (pre Ofsted improving rules). Sometimes she just feels she's had enough of other people and wanders off in a dream. She's just the same at 14 as she was at 4.
However, she sussed roads were bad news at 2.5.

Had DD2 turned up on my doorstep I would have been incandescent with rage.

Firstly DD2 likes people, something horrible must have happened to get her to leave and secondly she was totally clueless about roads.

We live 3 miles away so they had the sense never to try. A pair of Y2-Y3 siblings did and school improved the fence.

McHappyPants2012 Fri 28-Sep-12 00:16:31

i would be impressed if DS escaped, his school is so secure it almost impossible.

imperialstateknickers Fri 28-Sep-12 00:21:12

One of the best things about the primary we chose was that it was so far into the country that any escapers would show up like a sore thumb. In fact they loved it so much they never even tried. However the ADHD about three years below my youngest did make a break a couple of times. Always found and repatriated before any harm done.

TheMightyLois Fri 28-Sep-12 00:21:30

If this ever happened heads would fucking roll

SummerRain Fri 28-Sep-12 00:22:05

At our school it would be very easy for a child to leave the school grounds as it's not secured and there's minimal supervision when they're in the yard.

It's never happened though.

They'd be straight out on a main road if it did (although in my children's case at least if they survived the road they'd be at our house... we're literally bang across the road from the school) but none of them even contemplate it. Even when their balls go over the wall they know not to get them themselves (I used to walk past at lunchtime on the way back from playschool and would have a gang of kids shouting 'Summer, will you get our balls for us?' as they knew not to come out the unlocked gate or over the 3 foot wall)

Ambi Fri 28-Sep-12 00:23:15

DD is fairly sensible and we live opposite the school so apart from the road which can be fairly busy, I wouldn't be too upset that she walked 50yds on her own. Our school won't release reception children without parents/guardians to collect though.

CouthyMowWearingOrange Fri 28-Sep-12 00:58:32

Scares the hell out of me for DS3 when he starts. At 20mo he is already an accomplished escapologist. I have, as yet, been unable to find ANYTHING that can hold him back when he is determined.

He was able to climb out of his cot at 11mo. The playpen too now. He can climb over both regular stairgates and taller dog gates. He can escape from pram straps. He escaped his Bumbo (with tray) at just 4mo. Highchair straps cannot hold him in. He shrugs off reigns like they are butter.

And today, had I not been IN the garden with him (albeit with my back turned to padlock the back gate), he would have been over the top of the 4ft fence separating my garden from my neighbours. hmm

If he wants to escape from school, I can see him managing it. I live nearly a 3 mile walk or a bus journey from the school.

I am already having nightmares.

My older 3 DC's, it just wouldn't have occurred to them. It will to DS3...

Leena49 Fri 28-Sep-12 01:12:58

A girl in reception did it a few years ago. She had got left outside after PE! They have now improved their fences, gates and procedures.

SkippyYourFriendEverTrue Fri 28-Sep-12 01:33:10

Poor lad.

It's not his fault he's called Khyron.

CaliforniaLeaving Fri 28-Sep-12 01:40:55

I did it, I decided I didn't like reception class (after being there all of 10 minutes) and went home. I knew the way, Mum saw me as soon as I got to the house and marched me right back. Luckily she hadn't gone out. The teacher locked the classroom door and I spent the day with my head in my hands crying.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now