Talk

Advanced search

To consider putting styling products on my 1 year old's hair?

(13 Posts)
PiousPrat Thu 27-Sep-12 16:10:37

DS3 has just turned 1 and has that adorable super fine, blonde hair that a lot of babies do. The sides and back seem to have attended a conference on hairdressing and are playing ball by naturally growing into a decent style. The top is another story though, it is perfectly straight and grows forwards as if I had brushed it that way, but it is now just past his nose and shows no signs of following the party line and behaving. It resists all attempts at a centre parting or staying in place if I sweep it to the side, so is straight in his face, over his eyes. He doesn't seem bothered by it but he obviously has restricted vision because of it and is forever getting food or grass in it hmm

He won't keep anything on his head so hair bands are out, hair grips or slides just, well, slide out after 7 seconds and I don't want to cut it and curse him with a fringe forever, I just want to get past this growing out stage. But, I really don't like the look of gelled, spiked hair n very small children. They just look too... Primped?

WIBU to wax the ends a bit so I have a better chance of it staying in place if I sweep it to the side? I'd leave it be, but for the fact that it does restrict his vision and tbh, it goes fluffy at the front and he looks a bit #whispers# Boris hmm which is worse, styling product on an infant or dooming them to a baby photo album full of buffoon-esque looks?

WorraLiberty Thu 27-Sep-12 16:13:04

Haha my brother had the same problem 45 years ago when he was a baby he'd give anything for a bit of hair now

My mum used to rub baby oil or coconut oil on the ends.

Devora Thu 27-Sep-12 16:15:04

Wouldn't it be less faff to cut it? After all, if his hair grows forward you are going to have this problem for a long time (my hair grows forward, and it has to be very long - shoulder length - before it will lie to the side).

You might have to resign yourself to a fringe or a buzzcut, I think.

RobinSparkles Thu 27-Sep-12 16:15:45

A bit of coconut oil won't do any harm, in fact it's very conditioning! grin

PiousPrat Thu 27-Sep-12 16:23:13

DS1's hair grows forward and he has it that skater style length, once it gets to about lip level the weight of it keeps it swept across so I am hoping the same will be true for DS3 and we just ave to sit it out. DS2 had pure blonde ringlets as a toddler and DS3's hair is already going quite curly at the back so there is no way I am cutting it and missing out on those glorious angelic looking baby photos wink

Buzz cut, no. Just no I'm afraid. ExP took the eldest 2 for haircuts when they were 2&4 and they came back with buzz cuts. They looked like mini thugs and I'm not risking DS3 having the same shaped head so looking the same. It just doesn't work on our face shape.

Coconut oil sounds like a plan though. It won't make the hair clumpy or attract wasps or anything will it? I'm a 'grab hair, fling in ponytail, jobs a good 'un' kinda gal when it comes to my own hair so am clueless about these things. Thank heavens for the wisdom of MN wink

SayersIsBetterThanGreggs Thu 27-Sep-12 16:23:53

Just asking for a mohawk imo ! grin

Lueji Thu 27-Sep-12 16:33:06

www.mamamia.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/MichaelBoltonMullet.jpg

DeathMetalMum Thu 27-Sep-12 16:33:58

We have this problem with dd no bobbles or anything. She had her fringe cut (by me) just before her first birthday. sad

I re-try with clips and bobbles before it needs re-cutting each time to no avail so far.

OrangeandGoldMrsDeVere Thu 27-Sep-12 16:37:22

I use tons of stuff on my DC's hair.
But they have afro hair so its allowed and I wont get hmm looks on MN because of it grin

Do what needs to be done. Its not like you are planning to give him extensions and a fake tan.

tittytittyhanghang Thu 27-Sep-12 16:44:24

Ds2 also has this funny forward growing hair thing going on. I have started pulling it back in a bobble a la [http://playersphotos.net/r-david-beckham-ponytail-hairstyles-photo-148.htm David Beckham]] except we don't bother with the bottom ponytail, just the top bit.

tittytittyhanghang Thu 27-Sep-12 16:45:52

David Beckham

naturalbaby Thu 27-Sep-12 16:50:19

sounds like my ds3's hair - I've been sweeping it across with a big side parting for months so it's well trained now! when it's particularly unruly I wet it, smooth a bit of conditioner through and comb it. I literallly spend all day keeping it tidy - good job I don't use childcare or he'd look a right state by home time.

PiousPrat Thu 27-Sep-12 16:51:14

You say that, MrsDV but he has been looking a bit pale lately...

I did try doing a Beckham style top ponytail, Titty. It slipped out at the back so just flopped about like a really bad pineapple 'do. Which is basically what I do with his hair if we are having a messy dinner that is likely to get spread over his face and hair, pineapple him up then take photos for future embarrassment and eat without the stress.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now