Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to be fed up with the plague of door to door sales representatives?

(37 Posts)
Ullena Thu 27-Sep-12 15:55:25

Grr...another one. That is a total of nine, in less than 24 hours. I work from home, so they are disturbing me and also waking the puppies from their naptime angry

Would I BU to put up a sign on our front gate, asking them not to call to our house as no one is available to deal with them at the moment?

What I really want to do is to answer the door without washing my hands, the next time that one of them calls whilst I am preparing the dogs's dinner. (We feed raw. It gets messy.) I could then stand there, blood stained apron, gore up to the elbows, and say: "Yes? Can I help you?"

I bet Hullygully doesn't have this to contend with! envygrin

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 27-Sep-12 15:58:33

The only ones I get are the young offenders selling dusters. We are drowning in dusters. Think they drop them off round here by the coach-load. hmm

MumsGoToReykjavik Thu 27-Sep-12 15:58:55

Get yourself a sign/window sticker. I got one from the local sticker.

MumsGoToReykjavik Thu 27-Sep-12 15:59:15

Haha, sorry, I mean I got one from the local council.

Ullena Thu 27-Sep-12 16:10:17

It was the chap from one of the larger power companies that got to me. He was looking to talk to DH about our switching to them. DH was out at the time. I tried explaining that I was able to choose not to switch as we are equal here but sales chap was havin none of it! He will be back to discuss it with DH, apparently hmm

Thanks, I will look into getting a sticker and a bucket of water to ward them off!

Sallyingforth Thu 27-Sep-12 17:12:01

No problem here. I work from home. There is a sign on the door that says "Callers by appointment only".
If the door bell goes, I look up from my desk to the screen that shows the front door camera. If it's not a delivery or a friend/relative that I recognise I just ignore.

Latara Thu 27-Sep-12 17:17:19

I don't have a gate or front garden; so callers walk straight to my front door. There's no spyhole in the door so i look out of the lounge window; i have net curtains but to look out properly i have to pull them back.
I don't care if the person sees me or not - after a couple of chuggers / salespeople got quite rude; i just don't open the door if it's someone i don't know.

scentednappyhag Thu 27-Sep-12 17:20:33

Unless I'm expecting someone, I ignore my door buzzer. I'm also notoriously terrible about answering my phone.
Luckily, my friends and relatives find it quite charming in a quirky way rather than ridiculous and offensive grin

YANBU. We have just had someone round selling LoveFilm boxsets.

DP says no. Man says, would your partner like to speak to me about it then?

DP says, shes pregnant, shes not coming to the door (Im really sore today and lying on the sofa)

Man says, sure I will come in then!

shock

DP closed the door in his face. Bloody cheek of it. Grrrr angry

SecretCermonials Thu 27-Sep-12 17:26:41

YADNBU. I had a second call from a company whose "free" service I had declined... They started telling me how they would need my landlords details as i was not co-operating, basically trying to pressure me. I informed them they had the time it took me to return to the door, to vacate my property. They chose to stand there, ranting a bit. I returned with best friends rottie (we are doggie sitting) who is as soft as liquid butter but looks rather menacing... I instructed her to "speak" (best friend has trained her extensively, she could babysit i swear!) this is basically her giving it her best fierce dog vocal, and politely informed them that they should leave. They did. Rather quickly!

Had she not been there id of wet them. Maybe with my wee. Business who operate that way enrage me!

sooperdooper Thu 27-Sep-12 17:33:10

I got one trying to sign me up for a charity the other night, he seemed most shocked when I said I didn't give my bank details out to strangers

HecateHarshPants Thu 27-Sep-12 17:44:16

chain up the gate and put a doorbell on it. Then when the bell goes, look out the window. If it's anyone you want to see, go and open the gate, otherwise, just ignore them.

That's what I used to do.

NoillyPrat Thu 27-Sep-12 17:49:07

I got so fed up with them, I bought a sign saying 'No cold callers' etc but they still knock angry

maymoon Thu 27-Sep-12 17:51:54

The best one I had was a window company, when I stated I didn't want/need new windows thanks very much the guy said how about a conservatory- gave me some sort of sales talk about it, I said sure! come in and take a look to see where I could have said conservatory and which size, blah blah blah.
It didn't take him long to realise he was in a first floor flat!! He swiftly left!

I now live in a house and have sign on door but some people still knock- I ask if the ability to read is in their job description, I find that gets rid quickly

poopnscoop Thu 27-Sep-12 17:52:56

I drilled a spy hole in my door... if it's not a delivery man or someone I recognise, they are ignored.

Ullena Thu 27-Sep-12 20:04:42

I am taking note of these deterrants! grin

scentednappyhag Thu 27-Sep-12 20:08:08

Had she not been there id of wet them. Maybe with my wee.
<snort>

horsebiscuit Thu 27-Sep-12 20:12:17

When the door bell or the landline goes in our house, DD1 always shouts "Mummmeee! It's someone saying give me your money!".
She's invariably right. She's 4. No we don't have any friends
I don't answer either anymore TBH unless I'm walking past the door or the phone anyway.

Smeghead Thu 27-Sep-12 20:15:01

I had "So you dont care about starving children then? Do you only care about yourself?" said very loudly as people were walking by by an Oxfam rep. I said that I did indeed care about starving children but I was more concerned right at that moment that he couldnt read, pointed to the very large sign that said (paraphrasing) "No cold callers, no chuggers, no cunts from NPower" and told him that the local college does basic literacy courses grin

Sallyingforth Thu 27-Sep-12 20:18:09

" no cunts from NPower"
<snigger>

Ullena Thu 27-Sep-12 20:25:41

I had the RSPB ask me whether I realised how much the birds needed donations...

I was rather mean and pointed to the row of cats watching us hungrily from the living room window grin

He was not amused...

CaptainVonTrapp Thu 27-Sep-12 20:34:21

"I don't live here I'm just the nanny/cleaner/cook" - they quickly lose interest.

Smeghead Thu 27-Sep-12 20:43:11

You know what, I might actually put "No cunts from NPower" on there now! It actually says "NO ENERGY COMPANIES - WE ARE NOT INTERESTED IN CHANGING SUPPLIERS", but its always NPower that call!

Ullena Thu 27-Sep-12 20:47:36

My DH is a Star Trek nerd...maybe he could look up a few Klingon phrases or something for me to resort to...or I could pretend to be a burglar: "Sorry mate, can't help you, I'm just here for the valuables!" grin

CaptainVonTrapp Thu 27-Sep-12 20:51:15

I may actually start distributing door signs saying "no cunts from Npower" look for me on ebay!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now