Talk

Advanced search

to expect my delivery to be bought up two flights of stairs

(130 Posts)
amz1 Thu 27-Sep-12 15:41:14

I have twins and I am unable to bring my shopping and my babies up the stairs hence the reason for online shopping!!

The delivery driver, told me he was only going to bring up half my shopping because there wasn?t a lift available in the block of flats where I live and he doesn?t have to bring it up, apparently he told me this last time. I then asked where he was going to put it and he said he was leaving it on the first floor, to which I said every other driver from (supermarkets) have all bought my shopping up with no complaints.

I said I was going to call the customer help line because this was unacceptable, and asked him where he was going to leave the shopping to which he replied I?ll leave it in the van. When I spoke to customer service they put me on hold and rang the store. In that time he bought up the rest of my shopping. Not sure what promoted him to do so.

The man from customer service came back on the phone; he had spoken to the store and said in the terms and conditions, ?Blah blah blah' And said it was up to me to discuss future delivery options. I was crying down the phone as I was so upset at such a confrontation so early on in the morning whilst both my babies were crying and my husband was not at home. Not once did the customer service rep show any empathy towards me.

Looked on the company website and I cant find anything about using a lift.

Arggggghhhhhhhh - over it

GoldShip Thu 27-Sep-12 15:43:35

YABU. I think.

And it has nothing to do with you having twins. confused

BunnyLebowski Thu 27-Sep-12 15:45:35

You cried??

YABU. You could have left the babies safely and brought it up yourself without getting your kni kers in such a twist about it.

usualsuspect3 Thu 27-Sep-12 15:47:58

Oh blimey,I think you went a bit OTT there.

GoldShip Thu 27-Sep-12 15:48:00

"I was crying down the phone as I was so upset at such a confrontation so early on in the morning whilst both my babies were crying and my husband was not at home"

I think you need to woman up. If you're going to get through life

Sirzy Thu 27-Sep-12 15:48:23

i thought it was standard practice that they delivered to the 'main entrance' of the building and then beyond that it was at the discretion of the driver?

marcopront Thu 27-Sep-12 15:49:05

The term and conditions normally state that they will deliver to the first entrance to your building, so if you are in a flat they deliver to the lobby.

oldraver Thu 27-Sep-12 15:49:13

Have you actually tried to bring the shopping up ? Yes you may have to take the twins up then got nad fetch your shopping but you are not unable to.

Sirzy Thu 27-Sep-12 15:49:16

And why not wait until your husband is home in future to do shopping/schedule shopping deliveries then one of you can bring it up while the other watches the babies?

usualsuspect3 Thu 27-Sep-12 15:49:31

It would have been nice for him to bring it up, But I would have just fetched it up myself with a bit of huffing and tutting grin

GhoulWithADragonTattoo Thu 27-Sep-12 15:49:39

YANBU - I would say the company should bring the shopping to your front door as they would if you lived in a house. I would call around a few companies and see which do this and give your custom to them.

Do you have a playpen? I found it so helpful to have somewhere to put the babies when you need to sort stuff like this out.

GoldShip Thu 27-Sep-12 15:50:20

I'm far from being a feminist but good god if someone needs to have their husband home just so they can bring their shopping up then they need to stop acting all weak hmm

UnChartered Thu 27-Sep-12 15:51:00

why did you order from them again if this is what he told you last time?

just use the ones that will bring it to your door

Sirzy Thu 27-Sep-12 15:52:38

Goldship I agree with you but it seems to be an issue for the OP so for her that seems a possible option. better than getting angry with someone who has a long list of other people who want their delivery in their allocated time slot and therefore doesn't have time to traipse up and down stairs for her!

Smeghead Thu 27-Sep-12 15:52:49

I think that if you put in the delivery information that you are 2 floors up and need it to be brought up to your door and they accept the order then they should do it as it will be on the delivery note.

Personally I dont think you are being U. what if you were disabled with a broken lift? What would you be expected to do then?

GoldShip Thu 27-Sep-12 15:54:43

sirzy good point.

This got my back up from the beginning with the woeeeee is meeee i have twins and my husband is away... Get a grip confused

WorraLiberty Thu 27-Sep-12 15:58:28

It's down to the driver's discretion as a rule.

I don't see why you couldn't have popped the babies in their cot/strapped them into their pram while you fetched the shopping?

What if the driver was claustrophobic like my DH is? You'd never get him in a lift in a million years.

PuppyMonkey Thu 27-Sep-12 15:58:41

Isn't it Tesco that say they'll bring it right to your door - YOUR CUPBOARD DOOR?

YANBU

rattling Thu 27-Sep-12 16:01:11

This was exactly me about 3 years ago. Second floor flat, six month old twins, really struggling generally with the relentlessness of everything, so annoying man depositing shopping a floor below was very upsetting.

He woke one of them ringing the bell, so to stop crying one waking sleeping one I started dragging shopping up the stairs with a screaming baby under one arm. At that point driver started helping me grin.

I've never had a single issue with them refusing to bring shopping up since (though now I tend to go down and carry half of it), but the complaint department just pointed me to T&C which I never could find.

So I for one sympathise. And can remember understand the crying.

Convert Thu 27-Sep-12 16:02:32

I think the driver should have carried the shopping up for you. I live in an awkward place and I find the best way to get around it is go down to the main entrance holding both babies, batt your eyelashes a bit and smile lots and say would you mind just bringing it up here for me in a helpless way as you wander off up the stairs. I had my shopping delivered every week and got around it this way grin
When they dump the first lot say 'oh, thank you so much, it's such a nightmare living up here!'
I think if you're really nice they will be more inclined to help than if you get huffy.

EmmelineGoulden Thu 27-Sep-12 16:04:11

YANBU to be upset. I had twins and there are plenty of times in the first year when a confrontation like that would have had me in tears. Because it really does seem impossible to do somethings when it's just you, two babies and total sleep deprivation. It's a brutal time. But in reality it is not impossible and you will cope. And having half your shopping left on the landing is not the end of the world.

The supermarket is NBU to have conditions about how far they'll carry things. But they need to make it crystal clear before you checkout what they are. Not hide them in a bunch of small print in amoung a bunch of jargon about cookies and privacy issues. In your situation the delivery is pretty much the whole point of the service, so look around for somewhere that will be more accommodating. Good luck. Hope you're feeling a bit better.

GoldShip Thu 27-Sep-12 16:04:37

I don't think they should. If they did it for everyone they'd very quickly end up with bad backs. And if they fell, what would happen then? Time off work and they'd probably get reprimanded for doing it in the first place.

MrsToddsShortcut Thu 27-Sep-12 16:06:12

Amz1,

I sympathise and I think you are getting a bit of a hard time tbh! I live on the first floor of flats with no lift and I have never had a problem with deliveries.
Admittedly I've never checked the terms and conditions, but it wouldn't have occurred to me to be honest.

I also don't think you should have to leave your twins alone to go downstairs and collect your shopping. I know some people do leave their kids/babies alone for very short periods for reasons like this, but it would make me feel uncomfortable and I wouldn't be happy at having to do it.

Also, why shouldn't the OP get upset? You never know what triggers off a bad day for some people and she may have been tired, stressed and the delivery man refusing to bring her shopping may have been the last straw.

But, I second checking the T&C, and choosing a store that doesn't have restrictions. i would also mention in the additional information box that you live on the 2nd floor with no lift access. That way, they have plenty of time to contact you if there are going to be problems.

YANBU imvho!

mrsminerva Thu 27-Sep-12 16:07:54

Anyone who doesn't have twins will probably not understand the OP. Hang on in there amz1 it will get better. YANBU but you may need to see your doctor re post natal depression. Are the twins sleeping? Are you feeling overwhelmed and unable to cope? It can be tough.

tanteclaire Thu 27-Sep-12 16:08:21

YANBU totally - what useless company is this? Perhaps you just got a jobsworth driver. I've used ocado for years and they always used to carry it to my lower ground kitchen quite happily.
What's the point of online shopping if you have to pick it up at the door and do several trips upstairs?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now