Talk

Advanced search

or rather, AIbeingacheapskate...

(13 Posts)
sweetaddict Thu 27-Sep-12 13:53:57

Just bought crafty present for £1.15 (reduced) in sainsburys for dd school pal party. The pal not a particularly close one and mum not a friend (bit snooty).
Thing is, child came to dd party and brought rather nice pres, now i'm feeling tight."

Coops79 Thu 27-Sep-12 13:56:22

Nope. Not tight. Sensible. Otherwise you get into competitive present giving which is never pretty. If this mum wants to spend a fortune on your child then that's lovely and I'm sure your DD will write a charming thank you note.

WelshMaenad Thu 27-Sep-12 13:56:22

I love crafty presents. I buy stocks of boy and girl gifts in the post Xmas sales to hand out all year. It's just smart shopping. YANBAC.

Alliwantisaroomsomewhere Thu 27-Sep-12 13:56:54

YANBAC

Finbert Thu 27-Sep-12 13:58:32

Sensible so YANBU

TheJiminyConjecture Thu 27-Sep-12 14:03:08

Is the 'full' price what you would spend? If say the full cost was a fiver and you'd usually spend a fiver then that's just sensible shopping! YANBU

*Should add that I'm not great at this, I always end up spending the full amount, as in I'd be spending £5 so will look at stuff that's reduced to £5. No wonder I'm skint hmm

quoteunquote Thu 27-Sep-12 14:14:34

no, why should it matter?

sweetaddict Thu 27-Sep-12 14:19:34

Ah good. It wouldn't matter to me but you never know how others think...specially in this rather well-off town..

FireOverBabylon Thu 27-Sep-12 14:24:01

It was reduced in price, not some cheapskate rubbish from a pound shop )I know it's not all tat, I'm just using it as an example). Also, how do you know that they paid full price for your DD's present?

starfishmummy Thu 27-Sep-12 14:30:12

Buying cheap once backfired on me so i am always wary of doing it (baby gift was too small and the mum said she'd swap it next time she was in the shop).
But dh's rich aunt once gave Ds a birthday present that I think she had bought off the 10p table at a local book fair (I'd bumped into her there).

quoteunquote Thu 27-Sep-12 14:44:30

Last year in the bargain bin of the my local builder merchants, i spotted wind up LED head torches, 50p each, bought the lot, all the children I know got one as a birthday present, they all loved them, who cares if I got them at a bargain price normally £9.99, it's still the same item.

catgirl1976 Thu 27-Sep-12 14:49:00

Will the child like it

That's all that matters - not the cost

YANBC

BonaDea Thu 27-Sep-12 15:05:30

YANBU in the circs.

But I have to say my best friend got me a teapot and cups for my wedding present and although it was lovely it came with the price tag still on. It had been in the sale, and the whole present cost £20. Given we'd fed / watered her and her DP on the day, bought her outfit including shoes and accessories (she was a bridesmaid) and given her a generous thank you gift, I have to say I was really rather pissed off (and hurt). She is getting married next year and I don't think I'll be pushing the boat out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now