Talk

Advanced search

to think that putting your bare feet up on someone elses sofa is disgusting?

(94 Posts)
harassedandherbug Thu 27-Sep-12 13:37:25

And very rude!

Dsil came round last night and put her bare feet up on my sofa! I cringed....

I have a bit of a thing about feet, can't stand them. Except perfect ones, and preferably baby feet. But hers were disgusting and had loads of dead skin.

Dh thinks I'm nuts, but apart from anything else, when on earth did it become acceptable to do this?

treaclesoda Thu 27-Sep-12 13:40:44

Were her feet hideously smelly? Because if they weren't then I think you're nuts too. Its not like she took her underwear off and set her bare arse on your sofa, which would be disgusting!

Where does it end? 'I can't believe it, someone came to visit me wearing shorts and the back of their legs came into contact with my chairs?'. ' AIBU to want people to wear white gloves before they touch anything in my house?'.

I'd feel flattered that she feels so comfortable in your house that she can make herself at home.

complexnumber Thu 27-Sep-12 13:41:30

I don't have a bit of a thing about feet. So it wouldn't worry me at all.

larks35 Thu 27-Sep-12 13:41:32

"DH thinks I'm nuts" - I think I'm inclined to agree with him! It wouldn't bother me in the slightest. I'd be glad my sil felt at home enough to put her feet up. Is this symptomatic of any other issues you have with her?

farewellfigure Thu 27-Sep-12 13:41:40

biscuit

Yippee that's the first time I've done that.

Actually I'm trying to think if I've ever put my disgusting peely feel on someone's sofa and I think I probably have. Oh no. I can't remember when it became acceptable. Oh the shame.

Anotherusefulname Thu 27-Sep-12 13:42:58

I put my feet up on DB and DSIL's sofa, sometimes bare sometimes in socks. They do at mine too, it's not something I would consider rude when its family. I wouldn't do it at a friend's house although I'm not botheted if they do at mine.
So I think maybe you are being a tiny bit unreasonable

CaptainHetty Thu 27-Sep-12 13:43:11

I'm inclined to agree with your DH. It's a sofa, not like she stuck her toes in your dinner or something.

WillYouDoTheFandango Thu 27-Sep-12 13:43:12

YABU! I put my bare feet on everyone's sofas - never gave it a thought. I would imagine that at most points my feet are cleaner than my hands etc! But then I don't have a problem with feet at all.

Now I'm wondering if people talk about me when I'm not there grin

honeytea Thu 27-Sep-12 13:43:54

I think YABU, but then I was informed on a recent thread that it is rude to put feet on a coffee table so I'm not really the right person to ask about manners

somedayma Thu 27-Sep-12 13:45:31

Yanbu. That's gross

cynner Thu 27-Sep-12 13:45:32

YANBU. It would not occur to me to ever flop my trotters on someone else's furniture. I am wondering, how do you decide if your guest has feet perfect enough to go bare. It would seem rude to require a foot inspection before toes make an appearance..

hattymattie Thu 27-Sep-12 13:46:16

For me it depends if their feet are dirty - (have been walking around barefoot) or really smelly and sweaty - in which case the sofa material will be getting yucky. Strangely - I don't have an issue with socks - unless they are really minging grin.

flibbertigibbert Thu 27-Sep-12 13:46:45

Gah - thought this was going to be about me at first! Went to MIL's last night and she looked daggers at me when I did this (I had socks on).

YABU!

EdwardorEricCantDecide Thu 27-Sep-12 13:47:11

YABU she's not some random neighbour or something she's your SIL i.e. family!

if someone i didn't know v well did this i'd have the same reaction as you but family or friends then i would expect it tbh

harassedandherbug Thu 27-Sep-12 13:47:13

Ok, I'm nuts! grin

I've no idea if they smelt, I got up to make a cuppa straightaway and sat down somewhere else.

I wouldn't dream of doing the same in anyone's house tbh. Except my parents.

harassedandherbug Thu 27-Sep-12 13:47:37

Ok, I'm nuts! grin

I've no idea if they smelt, I got up to make a cuppa straightaway and sat down somewhere else.

I wouldn't dream of doing the same in anyone's house tbh. Except my parents.

FunnysInLaJardin Thu 27-Sep-12 13:48:24

wouldn't bother me either esp if it was a family member

fluffyraggies Thu 27-Sep-12 13:48:53

Well i think YANBU!

I hate feet too. I don't mind my own kids and Dhs feet on the chairs, because i can tell them to go wash them if they're grimy. Although DH has a thing about feet being clean so his are always peachy grin

I would't let my kids put bare feet up on sofa's in anyone else's house, but to be honest i don't think they've ever tried. I might curl my legs up on a sofa at ILs or my mum's or a good friends - but only in tights or wooley socks.

There.

laracroft2001 Thu 27-Sep-12 13:50:03

Yanbu- yukky. I have a thing about that as well.

pumpkinsweetie Thu 27-Sep-12 13:50:32

Wouldn't bother me unless the feet were extremely pongy but i personally would not put my bare feet upon my sils sofa.

TobyLerone Thu 27-Sep-12 13:51:24

YABU. You are making a problem because of your issues about feet.

squeakytoy Thu 27-Sep-12 13:51:54

It wouldnt bother me with a close mate or a family member.. I wouldnt expect a guest who I didnt really know to do it though..

I would rather bare feet than shoes on the furniture.

ClippedPhoenix Thu 27-Sep-12 13:54:06

Am i reading right that you were sitting on sofa at the time and she put her bare feet up next to you? If so YANBU. I don't want someone elses feet next to me thankyou.

I'd have pushed them off grin

stealthsquiggle Thu 27-Sep-12 13:54:23

Wouldn't worry me in the slightest. Muddy shoes, yes, but not bare feet. Otherwise the cat would be in a lot of trouble.

Loie159 Thu 27-Sep-12 13:56:02

TBH, I think YABU ( a little bit!) ...... it really bothers you so I do get that, but unless she has been walking about outside with bare feet her feet are going to be much cleaner than most of the rest of her.... I dont think its that big a thing, but I am obsessed with people who dont take their shoes off in my house. To me, to walk up and down the street stepping in germs and then parade them all around the house, in the bedroom, in the bathroom, is way more disgusting than bare feet on sofa! Also if she sat on a bus and then came and sat on your sofa, her clothes on her bum would have been on the same bus seat as literally thousands of potentially dirty people, but people dont really tend to mind that... If she is Dsil why couldnt you just say, sorry I have a thing about feet on furniture? Maybe she doesnt know you have a foot issue?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now