Talk

Advanced search

Do I have a case for suing WAITROSE? Their packaging is LETHAL!

(56 Posts)
QuintessentialShadows Thu 27-Sep-12 11:59:12

I am mighty cross.

I wanted mackerel in tomato sauce for lunch, so I laid out my sliced bread on a large dinner plate, and proceeded to open the tin of mackerel. The tin sort of exploded and splattered tomato sauce all over my hands, and my beautiful white Per Una (yes, really) top, with beads and embroideries - ethnic gypsy look I should imagine.

This was caused (I gather) by a combination of two things:

1. Too much runny sauce and too little actual mackerel.
2. Dinky little tin which opened unevenly. (Essential Range, so probably sub standard material)

Now, less than a year ago I managed to stab myself through a Waitrose ice cream tub, again flimsy, not like Cart d'or! The knife just went straight through both ice cream and tub and I pierced my finger.

I think I should perhaps avoid Waitrose in future, as their packaging is clearly a hazard to health and safety, and a danger to fabrics of all kinds.

But, do you reckon I can ask them for compensation for a ruined top?

(I have so few naice clothes, so it will be sorely missed, unless I try dye it maroon?)

WWYD?

Petsinmypudenda Thu 27-Sep-12 12:00:08

Wouldn't happen at asda!!

gordyslovesheep Thu 27-Sep-12 12:00:36

leave the bastards

WilsonFrickett Thu 27-Sep-12 12:00:43

YABU for buying Essentials in the first place. Tsk Tsk.

SillyBeardyDaddyman Thu 27-Sep-12 12:01:23

Why do you stab your ice cream?

<checks for nearest exit>

gordyslovesheep Thu 27-Sep-12 12:01:28

I once had a tin of rancid tuna from Sainsburys explode all over me and my dd1 - then aged 14mths - it was VILE - they gave me a new tin without so much as a sorry

BettyandDon Thu 27-Sep-12 12:02:43

Send them a photo of the top and say its not cleanable. I think they would refund.

It's a bit late to mention to mention the ice cream tub but I do think they'd have taken that seriously.

I got the cost of a leather handbag, dry clean of coat and jumper and new iPhone from homebase after a cleaning spray leaked in my bag.

SammyTheSwedishSquirrel Thu 27-Sep-12 12:03:47

You eat icecream out of a tub with a knife? confused

CuttedUpPear Thu 27-Sep-12 12:05:35

My friend's son has just lost the use of his thumb after trying to get icecream out of the tub with a sharp knife and slipping. But for 5 minutes wait he would still have the full use of his hand.

Don't do it!

Sleepwhenidie Thu 27-Sep-12 12:07:46

Are you the dangerous waterbabes thread lady hmm?

QuintessentialShadows Thu 27-Sep-12 12:08:40

"Why do you stab your ice cream?"

It was strawberry ice cream.
And I was impatient.

squeakytoy Thu 27-Sep-12 12:08:59

chuck the top in the washing machine.. it will be fine!

stifnstav Thu 27-Sep-12 12:09:31

were you standing in a really deep puddle when this happened?

squeakytoy Thu 27-Sep-12 12:09:38

and for icecream use a cup of boiling water, dip a SPOON in it, then put it in the icecream!! smile

Some0ne Thu 27-Sep-12 12:09:56

I'm also wondering how a knife features in your icecream eating experience?

SillyBeardyDaddyman Thu 27-Sep-12 12:10:18

Strawberry... Fair enough then...

<backs out of thread slowly>

QuintessentialShadows Thu 27-Sep-12 12:11:03

I made a such of pathetic "yelp" like a wounded dog when it happened.

Dh is working from home, he was on the phone. It went quiet. Then he came downstairs saying "Quintess, would you make such a silly noise if you were alone in the house". Then he looked at me and burst out laughing! angry
He said "oh I see, let me make myself a cup of coffee to celebrate"

Maybe he does not like my top?

QuintessentialShadows Thu 27-Sep-12 12:12:32

Stif, I have neither puddles, nor poodles in my kitchen (I keep mistaking them)

Squeeky - no, cant do that, because the water will harden the ice cream under neath, creating an icy layer that is neigh on impossible to get through the next time. Besides, I have invested in an ice cream scoop since then.

missymoomoomee Thu 27-Sep-12 12:12:33

I cot a cardboard cut from the cereal box this morning because I'm a clumsy cow maybe I should sue Kelloggs. <ponders on what to do with my zillions of money for my emotional trauma>

MumsGoToReykjavik Thu 27-Sep-12 12:13:55

Dip the ice-cream spoon in hot water shock

GENIUS!

QuintessentialShadows Thu 27-Sep-12 12:14:23

You would be right to sue Kelloggs. I bought three packs of cereals for the beach towel promotion, because the kids wanted them. Neither code worked. Kelloggs customer services did not respond, not on twitter and not on email. They are too big to care about emotional trauma and towel shortages.

squeakytoy Thu 27-Sep-12 12:14:39

you dont put water into the icecream ya daft bat, you just put a hot spoon into it.. warm the ice cream scoop up in hot water then! grin

QuintessentialShadows Thu 27-Sep-12 12:15:36

It is the same result, it melts too quickly, and then it re-freezes into something less nice.

QuintessentialShadows Thu 27-Sep-12 12:16:23

You might as well scoop your ice cream out with a steam iron, for that matter....

junowiththegladrags Thu 27-Sep-12 12:16:23

It's all very funny until a child gets hurt. sad
Sue the bastards.
<tilts head>
Capiche?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now