Talk

Advanced search

to think this is unfair

(21 Posts)
advicegratefullyrecieved Thu 27-Sep-12 10:56:31

Our new headteacher decided last academic year decided to change dd's uniform from polo shirts and sweatshirts to shirts, ties and jumpers. We were told we had 3 years to replace the new uniform but if the children arn't wearing the new uniform they lose a golden time point every day. The children have also been told that if they wear the shirts they have to wear a tie. This is primary age from reception to year 6.

scurryfunge Thu 27-Sep-12 10:58:51

They should not be punishing children having given a 3 year deadline. Ask the head to make their mind up.

OneOfMyTurnsComingOn Thu 27-Sep-12 11:00:19

It's not the kids' fault anyway if the parents haven't bought them the uniform. That's just crazy!!

TheOriginalSteamingNit Thu 27-Sep-12 11:02:44

No, they shouldn't be connecting these points to whether your parents have bought a uniform yet!

OhChristFENTON Thu 27-Sep-12 11:04:09

Stupid move on the part of the headteacher, and yes really unfair to penalise the children.

advicegratefullyrecieved Thu 27-Sep-12 11:05:41

I think the head teacher is hoping by losing points the children will put pressure on the parents to buy the new uniform. The school did not confirm the new uniform till late June and many parents, myself included, had already bought uniform for this year.

TheOriginalSteamingNit Thu 27-Sep-12 11:07:45

Also many parents rely on the fact that their younger children can inherit outgrown uniform from older siblings - I think they should have a caveat that you needn't buy any until it's all outgrown!

Head is being unfair, and I think you should say something.

Pancakeflipper Thu 27-Sep-12 11:10:16

Bonkers. Go to the Governors and ask them to clarify the situation. They cannot say 3 yrs then penalise the kids.

Pandemoniaa Thu 27-Sep-12 11:10:16

Assuming that this is a known fact and not something that's been misheard or misreported by your dd, then you need to complain to the HT.

It is bad enough that schools change uniform so randomly (my dcs had 3 changes of uniform during their senior school years) but if you have a 3 year changeover period then it sounds quite bizarre, as well as unfair, to use golden time as some sort of penalty for not getting the new uniform immediately.

ClippedPhoenix Thu 27-Sep-12 11:10:24

Penalising the kids is wrong. I'd have a word OP.

KenLeeeeeee Thu 27-Sep-12 11:11:57

I'm pretty sure uniform is unenforceable at primary level anyway, never mind changing the uniform and doling out punishments for wearing the wrong one. confused

diddl Thu 27-Sep-12 11:13:10

That´s ridiculous.

You´ve either got three years or not.

Either way, pupils shouldn´t be penalised.

WorraLiberty Thu 27-Sep-12 11:13:17

That really is bonkers.

Definitely write to the Chair of Govs.

advicegratefullyrecieved Thu 27-Sep-12 11:16:58

Thank you. I was extremely against the uniform change so wasn't sure if I was over reacting on principal. I know for a fact what dd say's is true because it has been confirmed by the teachers and the headteacher has put a request in to the PTA to buy ties for spares as so many children are wearing shirts with no ties.

FryOneFatManic Thu 27-Sep-12 12:52:41

Definitely go the the chair of governors, especially if the 3 yr deadline is in print.......and does not contain any mention of penalising the children. As a former governor myself, I would not be happy if parents had brought this situation to my attention and would have raised it in meetings.

FredFredGeorge Thu 27-Sep-12 13:05:58

WTF's a Golden Time Point?

WorraLiberty Thu 27-Sep-12 13:19:38

Having read your second post, do you think it's possible that the kids are losing golden time for not wearing correct uniform?

That would be a totally different kettle of fish and wouldn't matter whether it was the old uniform or the new one.

Fred, Golden time is time in which the kids get to do what they want for however many minutes they've earned...usually on a Friday afternoon.

lisaro Thu 27-Sep-12 13:28:34

Isn't penalising them possibly discriminating against less well off pupils and I hate using the 'd'word.

FredFredGeorge Thu 27-Sep-12 13:50:43

Thanks Worra I guess I will be dressing DD in all sorts of weird and wonderful things - don't want her thinking up her own things to do when the teachers should be teaching her ;-)

MyLastDuchess Thu 27-Sep-12 13:58:35

I went to a private (fee-paying) school which had a uniform change while I was there. During the changeover period you could wear one uniform or the other and as long as you looked neat and tidy that was the end of it. To say that something is optional but you get penalised for doing so is simply ridiculous.

spondulix Thu 27-Sep-12 15:11:11

This is just awful. Surely the point of uniform is to make everyone 'equal', and by punishing them for not having the new uniform you will be completely undermining this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now