Talk

Advanced search

stupid bloody party bags!

(89 Posts)
Justhadenough Wed 26-Sep-12 21:59:37

DS is having his first big party for his 7th birthday.It is in the half term It's a football party and the whole class plus cousins have been invited so it's for about 40 children and I was just going to fill my party bags with cheap football themed tat and birthday cake.
DH thought this was fine until today. He has been talking about it at work and thinks we should get them all better presents. He wants to but in
* A book
* a football
* football card
* a carrot sticks.
A nice idea in theory but expensive and I think it's not really needed. I also think that carrot sticks are shit not going to be eaten where as the cake will be enjoyed, plus they will have enough party food so they won't need to eat the cake straight away and could take it home.

Does anyone have any ideas, before I set fire to ALL party bags.
Thanks

mrsconfuseddotcom Wed 26-Sep-12 22:02:26

40 party bags?!

I wouldn't bother. Just give them a piece of cake.

I didn't do wedding favours. Nobody said anything...

RaisinDEtre Wed 26-Sep-12 22:02:26

CARROT sticks? Whaaaaaa?

And who is going to peel enough carrots for 40 bags, ask him that, go on.

I wouldn't do party bags for 40, they can have a slice of cake to take home

mrsconfuseddotcom Wed 26-Sep-12 22:03:30

Heh heh!

Can see most of those carrot sticks going in the bin anyway. You are talking about 7 year old boys after all...

onedev Wed 26-Sep-12 22:05:46

Fab but expensive party bags, minus the carrot sticks! I'd either do one of those plus birthday cake or go with your idea of tat (my boys always love them!) but not altogether as that really is a lot.

missymoomoomee Wed 26-Sep-12 22:05:49

buy a multi pack of pencils (about 50p for 10 from tesco) a pack of balloons a multi pack of lollipops and you can get little notebooks or writing pads from ebay for about 15p each and a bit of cake each, jobs a good un. Also with the cake I always buy 2 one for blowing out the candles and a cheaper one for the party bags so it can all be done 1st and I'm not spending half the party cutting and wrapping bloody cake.

Justhadenough Wed 26-Sep-12 22:07:03

He said he would 'help out' with the peeling, but he isn't great at peeling veg anyway never mind enough for 40 kids.
DS asked for party bags, because it's his first big party I said yes at the time. (regreting that now)

BlueSkySinking Wed 26-Sep-12 22:07:33

It's simple, Buy a couple of multi bags of sweets and empty them all into a bucket. Let them have one each on the way out.

Party bags are over rated!

TheSydenhamSet Wed 26-Sep-12 22:07:38

carrot sticks?? what, as an appeasement to the parents for all the sugar? lol! i think all that will do will give mums and dads a laugh (and they won't get eaten).
seriously, that list there will cost a small fortune. no need at all! kids are happy with a slice of cake and a balloon.

squeakytoy Wed 26-Sep-12 22:07:47

carrot sticks??? its a fecking party bag not a nose bag for a donkey

BlueSkySinking Wed 26-Sep-12 22:08:28

You can wrap each sweet to make it see more special if need be. xx

InMySpareTime Wed 26-Sep-12 22:08:39

I am a seasoned party bag hater, but even I think carrot sticks are a poor choice for a party bag.
A mini football could work, perhaps bulk buy cheap pump bags, put in a mini football, cake, foil covered chocolate footballs, pound shop football stickers etc.
Don't go overboard making fancy party bags for 40 DCs, the going rate for class party presents is only about £5 round here anyway. also, be aware that whatever you do, at least one party guest will say it's boring and rubbish, this is the way of 7year old boys. They are fickle creatures.

aldiwhore Wed 26-Sep-12 22:09:13

I hate party bags, and if you get a job lot of books from The Book People or somewhere similar it will cost you less per book than a party bag full of supermarket shite.

Did I say I hate party bags?

Justhadenough Wed 26-Sep-12 22:09:26

missymoomoomee Thanks for the cake tip I will try that. Thats kindof what I want to do, there is a load of cheap balloons and other bits and bobs.

RainbowSpiral Wed 26-Sep-12 22:10:25

Now a football will OBVIOUSLY not fit in a party bag.

If you invite 40 then you need each party bag to cost 50p to £1 in total, if you do them at all. You start with the price and then work out what you can get for that, and that's why most party bags tend to include mini packs of Haribo and pencils from multi-pack at pound shop. 7 year old kids still think they are great.

Do NOT decide to split up a pack of "singing straws" you find in your present drawer. I did this once and had a bunch of 8 year old boys making awful high pitched noises whilst the parents arrived. Big mistake.

purplehouse Wed 26-Sep-12 22:12:26

Carrot sticks wtf?

Aside from the peeling, what would you wrap them in - at least cake can go in a napkin - carrots can't! They will be wet and they will be covered in bits of paper napkin!

You need the party bags to contain cake and something easy like a football pencil. At least that is usable!

TunaPastaBake Wed 26-Sep-12 22:12:35

Carrot sticks - love it !

40 kids ! - leave the party bags spend the money n the wine you'll need to drink to get over it ! grin

mrspink27 Wed 26-Sep-12 22:12:37

Another bah humbug party bag hater here. Cake if you must - but it never gets eaten. Just do less sweet stuff and do cake at the time.

NorbertDentressangle Wed 26-Sep-12 22:12:46

I've got to ask where on earth he got the idea for carrot sticks!?

That's just so random! (she says channelling her 12 year old DD)

SlightlySuperiorPeasant Wed 26-Sep-12 22:12:58

grin squeakytoy

NO to the carrot sticks!

As your DH has had some excellent ideas, how about he researches it and works out costs, suppliers etc.? Really do a thorough job...

SheppySheepdog Wed 26-Sep-12 22:13:30

Hit EBay for party bags. I recently bought paper bags incredibly cheaply from Amazon, ordered personalised stickers grin for them for about a pound on EBay and then batch ordered plastic tat to my heart's content. Spent about £25 for around 20 party bags, balloons, bubbles, bouncy balls, those aeroplane kits, plastic bracelets, finger puppets, flutes, notebooks etc.

Justhadenough Wed 26-Sep-12 22:13:30

The carrot sticks are because
'The kids have been playing football, party games so they will want a healthy snack'
I said it was bollocks a silly idea.

Haveaheart Wed 26-Sep-12 22:13:34

Party bags are definitely overrated. Go to poundland and buy one gift per child (choose wisely and the gifts can be quite alright!) add a small pack of sweets and some birthday cake. Job done smile

gordyslovesheep Wed 26-Sep-12 22:13:36

carrot sticks !

lord I just fill them with fake mars bars from Aldi grin and a load of old tat from Asda!

TunaPastaBake Wed 26-Sep-12 22:15:41

'The kids have been playing football, party games so they will want a healthy snack'

Tell DH that you are giving each kid a Lucozade Sport each to replenish their energy !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now