Talk

Advanced search

to think this pub shouldn't say this on their disabled bays?

(61 Posts)
madhairday Wed 26-Sep-12 19:32:11

A sign by a pub's disabled parking bays I saw today: 'For use by disabled customers except when car park is full '

Now the bays were not marked with disabled bay markers, but there were no other disabled customers' parking bays.

Does this go against the DDA, right of access etc? So basically, if the car park is full, tough if you're disabled? Never mind that if you're able bodied you can park elsewhere and walk over - it's effectively turning disabled customers away in this instance.

I think it's against equal access.

OutragedAtThePriceOfFreddos Wed 26-Sep-12 19:35:52

I wouldn't have thought it was against equal access any more than other pubs that don't have their own car park, but I don't know.

CelstialNavigation Wed 26-Sep-12 19:41:47

I'm not in the UK so don't know what the legal position is on providing disabled parking bays in private carparks.

But the whole tone of that sign is massively unhelpful and certainly seems against the whole principle of equal access.

There are already an amazing amount of people that think this is what disabled parking is - parking for disabled people, except if you can't find a space, then you can park there anyway.

In our local shopping centre we have had to leave when the carpark is very busy as all the disabled bays are taken, with very few blue badges evident. We cannot drive around a few minutes and wait for one of the couple of hundred other spaces to become free, as an able-bodied driver does, as it takes far far longer than that for one of the 8 disabled bays to come free.

People generally respect them (largely everyone parked there has a blue badge). Then on a busy day, some people seem to think its ok, they can take them as its busy. It's very difficult.

SauvignonBlanche Wed 26-Sep-12 19:43:45

YANBU

sookiesookie Wed 26-Sep-12 19:44:15

I am not sure what the legal stance is, but perhaps the pub is losing business because people can't get parked and yet there are spaces left unused.

madhairday Wed 26-Sep-12 19:44:22

But Outraged the fact is that they do have a carpark and are providing bays, and therefore there should be equal access.

There is equal access to pubs without car parks because no one is able to park there.

sookiesookie Wed 26-Sep-12 19:45:08

Sorry i do agree they shouldn't but trying to think of reason.

sookiesookie Wed 26-Sep-12 19:47:03

I am not sure what the rules are for equal access and businesses.
For example is it a very old building. I worked in a hotel that was a previous manor and they had no ground floor rooms or the obligation to provide them due to the building.
Whats the pub like for access for disabled people in general.

madhairday Wed 26-Sep-12 19:49:08

Pub is an old building but has good disabled access, disabled toilets etc.

ENormaSnob Wed 26-Sep-12 19:49:14

Presuming they can do what they like in a private carpark?

None of the pubs near me have disabled parking.

IneedAsockamnesty Wed 26-Sep-12 19:49:49

loads of pubs have signs like that i can think of 5 within 5 miles of my driveway

sookiesookie Wed 26-Sep-12 19:49:54

There is equal access to pubs without car parks because no one is able to park there.

Is that equal access? honest question.
It could be argued that an able bodied person could walk to the pub but a disabled person could no go in the pub as it did not have a car park and walking to it is an impossibility.

notallytuts Wed 26-Sep-12 19:50:40

I think UABa bit U

i have never seen a pub with a disabled parking space full stop. I think YABU to expect a pub to potentially lose custom because they cannot use all the space available to them at busy times. It irritates me no end in busy supermarket carparks when I have to wait for someone to leave before I can park but the disabled bays are empty

squeakytoy Wed 26-Sep-12 19:51:18

I suppose what they are saying is, if the car park is full, other than the disabled spaces, then it is ok to park in them. Very few pubs have any specific disabled spaces anyway. From the pubs point of view, it is better to have customers than an empty parking space.

madhairday Wed 26-Sep-12 19:51:59

True sookie, but it could be argued at least in some sense.

I'm not sure, but feel it's fairly rotten for a disabled person to come in and have no space because the car park was full so someone else went there. Don't know the legalities myself.

madhairday Wed 26-Sep-12 19:53:21

I've been in loads of pubs with disabled bays, which is why this surprised me - most I've been to with car parks in fact

complexnumber Wed 26-Sep-12 19:53:35

I think u a bit u

But I then I am willing to change my mind.

(Isn't it up to the pub how they use their land)

GoldenGreen Wed 26-Sep-12 19:55:38

It is odd. If they can be used by anyone when the other spaces are full...then they are not really disabled bays. imo. Though perhaps they feel they are making an effort to at least provide a service some of the time.

perceptionreality Wed 26-Sep-12 19:56:11

YANBU - it's really unacceptable for anyone not disabled to use disabled bays.

perceptionreality Wed 26-Sep-12 19:57:04

It's saying that if the car park is full, suddenly disabled people don't have priority any more. Stupid and wrong!

sookiesookie Wed 26-Sep-12 19:57:48

I am thinking to places like this I have worked and I don't think they had disabled bays.
I wonder, if its provate, if you have to have them.

I imagine chain pubs would have but small privately owned ones maybe not.

sookiesookie Wed 26-Sep-12 19:58:00

private

ENormaSnob Wed 26-Sep-12 20:00:38

Perhaps if people complain they will just remove them altogether and they will just be normal spaces.

I can see the pubs point tbh.

whatsoever Wed 26-Sep-12 20:00:59

I think they've shot themselves in the foot a bit to be honest. I've never seen a pub with disabled bays; if they didn't have disabled bays at all, no-one would think anything of it.

TraineeBabyCatcher Wed 26-Sep-12 20:03:25

Im fence sitting. In one respect it is a disabled bay so should be treated as such. In another, if the spaces were filled then no other disabled person could park there so why if the carpark ie full shouldn't everyone have the same right to the space.

If two cars pulled in, 1 space left, should the first driver be turned away because the only space is a disabled bay, even when they arrived first, and the second car with a disabled person in it get priority even though they arrived after?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now