Talk

Advanced search

To eat sugar for energy?

(33 Posts)
BrittaPerry Wed 26-Sep-12 16:27:36

I knw I am anemic, I have an iron supplement and an appointment o go back in two weeks (the soonest non emergency appoitment)

The iron seems to be quite good, but I am so so tired today. Just typing is a big effort. I need to at tge cery least pick dd2 up frm nursery, but ideally go and deliver some stuff people have ordered from me. On foot, because my bicycle has a puncture.

So, wibu to make myself a massively sugary brew? I've already had a wispa gold, a mars duo and a bag of fizzy sweets, but that gave me the energy to work today, and now I am uteerly exhausted.

GobblersKnob Wed 26-Sep-12 16:30:24

You are a grown up and can eay what you like so I hardly tell you YABU, but that is a terrible way to eat. If you gave up sugar entirely and all white carbs and started eating lots of protien and good fats you would have waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more energy, you really would.

BrittaPerry Wed 26-Sep-12 16:36:05

I normally eat fairly heathiky, except when I get these horrible attacks of tiredness. Eg yesterday i had weetabix, tomato soup, soft cheese on best of both, baked potato, steak, mushrooms, onions, pepper sauce, bananas and custard, plus a berrocca and three spatone sachets. Plus about 5 or 6 pint glasses of cordial and four chcolates from a box.

NatashaBee Wed 26-Sep-12 16:38:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WelshMaenad Wed 26-Sep-12 16:39:49

As a one off, it might work, but the problem with a sugar spike is that it's followed by a sugar crash, more sugar cravings, and a vicious cycle.

If you can combine with some slower releasing carbs and protein to even out that spike, all the better. Eg, whole grain toast topped with peanut butter and banana.

BrittaPerry Wed 26-Sep-12 16:42:59

I have peanut butter! And a banana!

So, best of both, toasted, with banana and a berrocca?

Does anyone know any other energy snacks? I would have thought I would have been ull of energy today from the rare steak last night.

(Soory if i sound dim, te room i pinning i am so tired)

SrirachaGirl Wed 26-Sep-12 16:44:31

Lady, that is WAY too much sugar. Even your healthy day has too much...all the cordial etc. The sugar might make you feel energetic for half an hour because it spikes your blood sugar but then you'll come crashing down and feel worse than you did to begin with. Google 'low GI diet' for some ideas to give you long-lasting energy. If you,re eating properly, exercise should give you more energy, not leave you knackered.

BrittaPerry Wed 26-Sep-12 16:46:37

Just realised that I sound le i only ate sweets today. Also loops cereal, berrocca, 3 pints cordial, one pint non alcoholic cider, two slices toast and pate, two mugs tea.

I'm not hungry, jst so tired that my head hurts.

BrittaPerry Wed 26-Sep-12 16:47:42

Is fruit sugar ok?

TittyWhistles Wed 26-Sep-12 16:50:16

Hyperglycaemia!!!

Tiredness, lethargy, headaches, confuddlement. All symptoms of high blood sugar. Do you get your glucose tested when you go for anaemia testing?

TittyWhistles Wed 26-Sep-12 16:51:23

Dark chocolate, if you must. And nuts for snacking.

What's this non alcoholic cider? Is it any good?

FreddieMercurysBolero Wed 26-Sep-12 16:52:17

Spatone is shite, or so the midwives and consultants told me. I've been taking ferrograd the last two months and feel great, I took spatone for six weeks and did'nt feel any less rubbish. RE the sugar, I'd say just do what you can to get you through the daysmile

fuzzpig Wed 26-Sep-12 16:52:37

I would ditch the cordial as you aren't getting any benefit from it, just empty calories from the sugar.

It's also bad if it has aspartame or other artificial sweeteners, as they make your body crave sugar even more (basically the sweetness tricks your brain into thinking it is sugar, and therefore makes your body expect/need the energy which sugar provides). Sorry, crappy explanation, I am also very tired. I have CFS and would really love to know any useful advice (especially as I am unable to exercise ATM) so thank you for starting this thread smile

BrittaPerry Wed 26-Sep-12 16:53:26

I don't know... They tested me for all sorts. My hormones are all over the place too, i think - bad periods, sore boobs, random pains, stiff joints.

Fallng apart :-/

naturalbaby Wed 26-Sep-12 16:53:42

I'm exhausted, I'm eating too much sugar, it's turning me into even more of a tired and grumpy witch.

I also had a massive filling last year due to all the sugar I ate every day - the dentist had to drill out almost all of the tooth.

BrittaPerry Wed 26-Sep-12 16:57:35

Titty - kopperberg :-). They o it in weatherspoons.

What should I drink then? I don't like th tap water here, and bittled water is expensive. Herbal tea is nice (I like fennel and nettle) but it takes too much time to make a hot drink and I forget about it halfway through.

Should I go ack to the prescribed iron liquid?

Also, thanks for tge info :-)

cocolepew Wed 26-Sep-12 16:57:49

I had insulin resistance due to PCOS, I was hideously tired. Low GI is the answer.

BrittaPerry Wed 26-Sep-12 16:58:15

Natural, don't even mention teeth! Two of mine have snapped off!

TittyWhistles Wed 26-Sep-12 17:00:19

Thanks Britta my preg craving actually has a chance of being satisfied now. Hope you feel better soon

Hulababy Wed 26-Sep-12 17:01:17

You can get big bottles of water for less than 30p if you go for the basic shop brands.

flatpackhamster Wed 26-Sep-12 17:01:47

BrittaPerry

I knw I am anemic, I have an iron supplement and an appointment o go back in two weeks (the soonest non emergency appoitment)

The iron seems to be quite good, but I am so so tired today. Just typing is a big effort. I need to at tge cery least pick dd2 up frm nursery, but ideally go and deliver some stuff people have ordered from me. On foot, because my bicycle has a puncture.

So, wibu to make myself a massively sugary brew? I've already had a wispa gold, a mars duo and a bag of fizzy sweets, but that gave me the energy to work today, and now I am uteerly exhausted.

The problem is that your body is now crashing. You've fed it sugar, it's burned it, and now it's in shutdown and craving more. You need to change your diet to include some slow-burning carbohydrates, because the sugar isn't helping.

itsatrap Wed 26-Sep-12 18:05:26

Britta - have you tried filtered water? it really makes a difference to the way water tastes and you can get replacement filters from wilko for really cheap. hope you manage to find out what the issue is and get it sorted.

habbibu Wed 26-Sep-12 18:08:01

Make a big jug of strong herbal tea, then store it in the fridge and drink it as a cold drink.

habbibu Wed 26-Sep-12 18:08:43

And eat porridge and oatcakes!

MadBusLady Wed 26-Sep-12 18:19:06

Good snacks:

bit of cold meat (some ham, chorizo, cold sausage)
hard-boiled egg with pinch of salt
hunk of cheese (on water biscuits if you like)
celery or cucumber or other easy-prep veg dipped in mayo, other creamy dip, peanut butter etc.
olives
stuff like prawns and cold chicken from deli packets - I get the reduced ones at the end of the day.

But TBH if you stop eating and drinking as much sugar as you are, I think you'll find you need a lot less snacks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now