Talk

Advanced search

to try and find DH's long-lost cousin?

(6 Posts)
Trazzletoes Wed 26-Sep-12 15:22:25

Right, DH grew up in the same town as his DF's side of the family, although his 2 cousins are quite a lot older than him. He has always told me that he got on very well with his elder male cousin, although I think he moved abroad for a while.

6 years ago, I accidentally broke DH's mobile which contained his cousin's phone number. These were the only contact details he had for him. He doesn't know his Uncle's contact details, or his other cousin (who he had fallen out with). His Aunt passed away when he was a child.

I feel extremely guilty for this, although it was an accident. I have only met this cousin once, at a funeral many years ago. Since I lost the phone number, DMil has died. The cousin was not at the funeral, and I'm not certain that that side of the family even knows that she is no longer with us.

DH and I have married and had DCs. The cousin doesn't know any of this. If I ask DH about it, he always says that he could find a way to contact him if he really wanted to. DH, is however, blase about all this stuff and, when not at work, likes to relax etc, rather than trying to find long lost relatives.

I know only a few basic facts about that side of the family, but WIBU to start trying to locate the cousin? I'm sure that DH would not be upset to be back in contact, I believe that he just doesn't have the get up and go to do this.

Or am I just interfering far too much? I'd like the DCs to know as much of their family as possible. I haven't spoken to DH about this. I suspect if I did ask, he would say not to bother and he'll find him if he ever needs to etc etc.

ShobGiteTheKnid Wed 26-Sep-12 15:24:01

Yes, YABVU. If he wants to, he will. MYOB.

NatashaBee Wed 26-Sep-12 15:31:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsTerrysChocolateOrange Wed 26-Sep-12 15:33:29

Do not interfere. YABU.

QOD Wed 26-Sep-12 15:33:54

DHs cousin is coming to visit with his family on Sunday ..... They've not seen each other since they were 10 and 14 ish

44 and 48 now!! Thanks to him befriending me on Facebook after I ended up being friends with another cousin and uncle

You could look on Facebook and just see what you see then decide

lisaro Wed 26-Sep-12 15:35:32

Back off. It's absolutely not your place.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now