Talk

Advanced search

To wonder if celebs send their kids to state schools?

(24 Posts)
nm123 Wed 26-Sep-12 10:28:42

I was listening to Zoe Ball on the radio this morning, she's standing in for Chris Evans on the breakfast show and my mind wandered to "I wonder what childcare she's got in place to cover the school run whilst she's covering on the breakfast show?" then it wandered to "I wonder what kind of school her kids go to?" then it was "I bet they go to a posh private school" then it was "I wonder if any celebs send their kids to state schools?"

Apologies for the rambling... Anyone know what schools celeb kids go to?!?

ToothyMcTooth Wed 26-Sep-12 10:31:28

I think it's probably a mixture of private/state. Some parts of London have such minuscule catchment areas and crazily expensive houses that all but v rich folk could get their children in. So a state school but not really open to the unwashed wink

MarchelineWhatNot Wed 26-Sep-12 10:31:51

Paul McCartney sent his kids to state school, but then he is a total tightwad.

Bill Oddie sent his daughter to state school.

Erm, don't know any others, but fascinated to hear.

TheOriginalSteamingNit Wed 26-Sep-12 10:32:20

Whichever McCartney daughter has children, they go to private school - apparently she'd've loved to emulate her parents and use comprehensives but sadly they live in London sad sad and it just wasn't possible. hmm

Jame Oliver's go to private school, obv. Because I remember him saying on the school dinner programme first time round 'this ain't about my kids, cos let's be honest, my kids ain't gonna go to state school' hmm

The lovely John O'Farrell's children do/did.

Will Self and Deborah Orr continually bang on defensively about theirs going to private school.

JakeBullet Wed 26-Sep-12 10:33:23

Hmm! ExDH has a job visiting schools (both State and Private), he has had children of celebs pointed out to him in Private schools but not so far in State schools (past 10 years).

Doesn't mean they don't attend State schools but maybe their privacy is safeguarded far more than in a private school.

aldiwhore Wed 26-Sep-12 10:34:56

I think for many schlebs its not about state schools not being good enough, but the pressure on their kids if they're the only child with a schleb parent.

We had one minor celebrity child at our school, but it just didn't work out (adults are bloody goosenecking gawpers) so said child now goes to a local private school... where there are a lot more children of celebrities.

FreckledLeopard Wed 26-Sep-12 10:39:26

Ms Dynaminte's son is at state school (DD was in same school).

DappyHays Wed 26-Sep-12 10:51:00

Some of the slebs probably can't afford to send their kids to private school.

I'm imagining the mass wringing of cardies at whichever school (if not state) Kerry Katona/Jade Goody/Peter Andre's kids, are at.

I managed about 30 seconds of Zoe Ball this morning before switching to local radio. She's a twattage.

purplehouse Wed 26-Sep-12 10:57:52

My friend used to be a teacher and she taught the child of a celeb in a state school. Don't remember who the celeb was though! Some drummer I think.

Dawndonna Wed 26-Sep-12 11:02:30

There are children of a well known actress and seperately, a well known author in local state schools.

dysfunctionalme Wed 26-Sep-12 11:02:31

My kids go to state school. I think it's healthy for them to mix with the riff raff

nm123 Wed 26-Sep-12 11:07:53

I suppose there's an automatic expectation that privates will deal with the privacy thing better... And yes if the kids are mingling with other celeb kids maybe they'll feel more "at home"?!?

I also wonder what these kids will do for jobs when they're older - eg Brooklyn Beckham. Can't quite imagine him wanting to grow up to be an accountant eh?

And whilst I totally value education and working hard and all that, growing up surrounded by millions of money must change the dynamic of that "got to study/work hard to get a decent job" ethos surely? And then I find it slightly ironic that these kids go to "good" schools.

Bit like my pal - both her and her DH work for their dads businesses. It is expected that there children will do the same yet the little darlings are in private school. I say "yet" because my friend has said that her children won't be going to university as they'll go into the family businesses... So clearly for them, going private isn't about the best education for their kids to maximize opportunities for their future etc etc, it's purely about status and having kids in private schools. Sorry... I digress.

ilikemysleep Wed 26-Sep-12 11:08:18

Badly Drawn Boy's kids were at one of the local state schools...my kids aren't at the same one so I don't know if they are still there.

nm123 Wed 26-Sep-12 11:09:20

*their children, not "there"....... I hate that mistake and will blame spellcheck.

Proudnscary Wed 26-Sep-12 11:09:40

We have a smattering of celeb parents at my dc's London state school.

SeventhEverything Wed 26-Sep-12 11:10:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bringbacksideburns Wed 26-Sep-12 11:11:44

If it's a hip area with good state schools there are usually a few knocking about - comedian's and actor's kids mostly.

John Thompson's children go to one my friend works at.

OhSoSimple Wed 26-Sep-12 11:12:32

Really Jamie Oliver's kids go to private school? Saw a pic of them on Daily Mail blush and not a boater or blazer in sight ......

TheOriginalSteamingNit Wed 26-Sep-12 11:13:10

Well they probably come home sometimes too!

Tamisara Wed 26-Sep-12 12:06:36

I know that David Jason's daughter went to a state primary (first) school, then (afaik) went to a private school at middle school age.

lunar1 Wed 26-Sep-12 12:23:46

There are quite a few actors children in DS's private school. We are in the north west and our catchment schools are not great unless you are catholic or live within about 5 meters from the school!

luckylavender Wed 26-Sep-12 12:35:10

I thought Zoe Balls' son went to Brighton College (daughter too young). Patsy Palmer's children went there for a while too but are now at St Bedes.

Farewelltoarms Wed 26-Sep-12 12:38:39

I could write a tragic thesis on where n London celebs send their kids. And it's mostly private. There are, however, a far few artistic (but wealthy) types who go state eg Nick Hornby, David Nichols, chapman bros. I suspect that maybe the intellectually confident might opt for state but your Kate mosses and Jamie 'never read a book I didn't write' might go private? To make a massive and unfounded generalisation...
As for Stella McCartney, she said oo yes would love to go state but I can't because we live on the mean streets of west London. There's poverty in rural schools as much as city ones but it does tend to be a whiter kind. Never liked her.

OhSoSimple Wed 26-Sep-12 14:03:38

My friend went to school with the McCartney girls and apparently they were hugely affronted at having to go to a state school. Poor girls.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now