Talk

Advanced search

to think about TTC in the lead up to the Christmas holidays?

(18 Posts)
newmummytobe79 Wed 26-Sep-12 10:17:37

When I know there will be lots of work parties, nights out and of course the festive spirit on Christmas Day?

I know there will always be nights out etc ... but is it irresponsible to come off the pill knowing I'll be drinking more heavily than the rest of the year?

Thinking of ttc soon and we know it may take ages ... but then again it might not.

Will there always be an excuse to put off trying? confused

Or should we just wait?

honeytea Wed 26-Sep-12 10:22:17

I would come of the pill and see how it goes. I was ttc for nearly 2 years and it was only the month where I was told I would not ovulate so we went skiing and slightly overly indulged in after ski drinks that I finally got pregnant.

I was really worried but everything I read said that before your missed period the alcohol doesn't get shared with the embryo.

SO my advice would be have fun but test on the day of your missed period if you think you are going to have a boozy night.

Good luck! smile

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 26-Sep-12 10:25:21

YANBU... pissed after a party is how many of us get knocked up in the first place!!! Honourable tradition...

MrSunshine Wed 26-Sep-12 11:30:54

I don't understand the question. What has drinking got to do with TTC, other than thats how half of us end up having children?

Birdsgottafly Wed 26-Sep-12 11:35:42

Just do early pregnancy tests.

You would have to be drinking massive amounts for it to possibly have any effect.

Ephiny Wed 26-Sep-12 12:18:49

I don't understand either. Are you saying you intend to drink heavily at Christmas whether you're pregnant or not (which yes does sound a bit irresponsible)?

CookingFunt Wed 26-Sep-12 12:49:13

Why don't you just not drink if you are concerned? You could say you are driving if you don't want anyone to know you are ttc.

KittenCamile Wed 26-Sep-12 14:48:20

We are starting ttc in december and I plan to just go easy on the drinking. I am quitting smoking now so I have a couple (hopefully!) Of months smoke free but am actually looking forward to an xmas without the crazy hangovers!

We decided december so we would go easy, rather than starting in jan not feeling all the healthy after a crazy december if that makes sense.

Maybe just don't get too wrecked and like the others have said test early.

Good luck!!

RubyFakeNails Wed 26-Sep-12 14:50:42

What is the exact question?

You want to ttc but don't want it to interfere with parties?

How much sex are you planning on having?

KittenCamile Wed 26-Sep-12 14:50:52

Also DP has decided to go easy on the drinking and is quitting smoking too, he says 'to keep his seed strong' smile but it because he is nice and doesn't want me to be the only one not drinking!

WilsonFrickett Wed 26-Sep-12 15:00:13

You don't have to stop drinking while TTC you know. Otherwise half of us wouldn't be here, I reckon.

It takes a while for the pill to leave your body IIRC but that also might be an old wives tale so ask an actual doctor rather than me! grin

Error404 Wed 26-Sep-12 15:03:30

I thought it was going to be a question about possibly ending up with a youngest-in-the-class child.

OP just go for it.

PeshwariNaan Wed 26-Sep-12 15:05:46

I didn't stop drinking while TTC - it took us less than 2 mos. from when we started trying (we were lucky).

Just do early preg tests. Use First Response and you can find out 3-4 days before your period is due. Any drinking you've done before you find out is not going to hurt the embryo.

Error404 Wed 26-Sep-12 15:08:46

And you're pregnant for the first half of your cycle anyway, even if you might be in the second half. So if you test early there's only ten days or so when you might but don't know about it.

ENormaSnob Wed 26-Sep-12 15:11:23

Don't do it too early.

I conceived on the first shag and subsequently spent my holiday vomiting.

MrSunshine Wed 26-Sep-12 15:14:07

it doesn't make any difference really even if you do get pregnant, at blastocyst stage there is no effect of alcohol.

KittenCamile Wed 26-Sep-12 15:49:55

Well I have learnt a lot from this thread! I will still keep the drinking down while ttc but now I won't feel guilty if I do have a couple! Not my thread but really interesting

newmummytobe79 Wed 26-Sep-12 16:30:04

Hi,

Nooo - I will not be drinking if I know I'm pregnant!

The reason I asked is because I know I drink more over Christmas and wondered if it was irresponsible ttc when I know I'll have a few blow-outs. I just don't want to possibly pickle any baby we may make on the lead up!

Saying that ... I didn't know I was pregnant a couple of Christmas's ago ... and DC is fine grin!

I guess I will just chill out (it seems the more relaxed you are the more likely it is you conceive smile ) and the midwives told me I was in at a busy time due to festive conceptions! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now