Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To think this was actually a pretty good idea?

(19 Posts)
Ferrybridge Wed 26-Sep-12 09:06:53

Was in town with DC at the weekend. DS1 had cooked his own breakfast and managed to burn his hand. Very minor, but sore and he was making a fuss. To shut him up I popped into Superdrug and bought paracetamol.

The shop assistant told me she was very sorry, but as I'd bought tablets she had to ask me if I also wanted a bottle of water to take them with, company policy. She went on to tell me how embarrassing it was to have to ask, don't people know if they want water etc.

As it happens I'm tight organised and don't leave home without a bottle of water, but I wouldn't be offended to be asked, it might have been the prompt I needed and if not, I could just say no. Seems like a good and sensible customer service/marketing policy to me. What do you think?

Ferrybridge Wed 26-Sep-12 10:01:39

Ok, I knew it was boring, but it tickled me that she was so put out and thought it was perfectly reasonable smile

Laquitar Wed 26-Sep-12 10:15:02

Is it to make sure that you don't go next door and buy the water from Boots? grin

No, it wouldn't bother me either.

RuleBritannia Wed 26-Sep-12 10:17:17

Buying the water (if you didn't have it with you) would enable you to take your tablets earlier than if you waited until you reached home.

Birdsgottafly Wed 26-Sep-12 10:22:00

I don't know why she made such a fuss over asking that, if you did have a headache/was in pain, you may not think to buy one at the same time.

I have had a sudden threat of a migrane start when out and i cannot mentally function until i have taken pain killers and had something to eat.

Sparklingbrook Wed 26-Sep-12 10:23:41

I think it's a great idea. I read you have to take tablets with a whole glass of water, not just a tiny sip, or a mouthful.

The only thing that was weird was you may have just been buying them to take home and put in the medicine cabinet.

Stores like superdrug have strict guidelines regarding the sale of paracetamol.

People buy it and store it to commit suicide.

I imagine it is in some way linked to that.

and they are money hungry bastards

TheOriginalSteamingNit Wed 26-Sep-12 10:28:40

She probably made a fuss about asking it because some people like my mother would make a great show of being astounded and offended by the question. Shop assistants get it in the neck for this kind of thing all the time.

I think it's fine, anyway - and I prefer Paperchase, where they ask if you need stamps when you buy cards, to WHSmith, where they loiter around while you have to use the self-service machines which ask you if you want a million fererro rocher to go with your paper.

Reminds me of the assistants in Shell who always ask if you want the special offer chocolate: the last time I said no thanks, the assistant said
'it is a very good deal!'
Me: thanks but I don't really like creme eggs!
A: well ma'am, they are very small creme eggs!

grin

SaraSidle Wed 26-Sep-12 10:29:01

When I worked in an off licence we had to ask if people wanted tonic if they bought gin.!

CMOTDibbler Wed 26-Sep-12 10:30:16

I've been asked that in Boots when popping into buy Migraleve, and looked like I needed them right then. I think they only do it when you just go in and buy a packet of tablets, nothing else. Very nice too - don't know why the assistant was so funny about it

CwtchesAndCuddles Wed 26-Sep-12 12:31:30

I hate being asked if I want to buy xxxx at the till. It's a pushy sales policy and I feel sorry for the sales people who are put under pressure to try and add items to every transaction.

diddl Wed 26-Sep-12 12:44:40

Seems like a good idea to me.

Maybe they should just put up a sigh that reads "don´t forget to buy water if you want to take a tablet now"

Or some short version of that, anywaygrin

mum11970 Wed 26-Sep-12 13:00:01

Superdrug make their staff ask all sorts of questions and they can get in to trouble if caught out not asking. One used to be, would you like stamps, to every flaming customer.

She would be embarrassed to ask because lots of people get unreasonably angry with shop assistants when they suggest add ons. It's amazing how many people find it hard to say 'no thanks' but can find the energy to say 'no I don't want a bottle of water, if I wanted one I would have picked one up!' or words to that effect.

RoomForASmallOne Wed 26-Sep-12 13:14:28

I feel for shop assistants who have to ask certain questions as company policy.
The water with pain killers makes sense though.

static.someecards.com/someecards/usercards/1337169759810_5191379.png

Yes, superdrug are add on mad.

Top up. Stamps. A bag. The weekly perfume offer. A loyalty card. Bottle of water. The online survey. Then staff get berated for having queues fgs.

Its a wonder they arent pushing lube with condoms grin

Hairytoe Wed 26-Sep-12 13:58:32

Dim question alert, why do you have to take tablets with water? I have taken them on their own all my life (I have a large swallow and weak gag reflex, no funny comments please grin). Now you're going to tell me I've been doing myself untold harm...?

Sparklingbrook Wed 26-Sep-12 14:01:15

I read that just swallowing them didn't give enough liquid to get tablets to work efficiently. Needs to be a whole glass of water But I couldn't bear the feeling of one getting stuck.

MadBusLady Wed 26-Sep-12 14:06:06

Yes, the stamp thing! Seemed so random to me because I just don't send letters, ever, I can't remember the last time I bought stamps. Was like being asked whether I'd like an ornamental antique cuckoo clock, since I happened to be buying shampoo and cotton wool balls.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now