Talk

Advanced search

to wish people would not use the phrase "our little princess"?

(72 Posts)
conantg Wed 26-Sep-12 07:23:48

It always seems to crop up in terrible cases of abduction etc where people refer to their dd as their "little princess", "daddy's little princess" etc.

Euphemia Wed 26-Sep-12 07:24:57

What's your problem with it?

RuleBritannia Wed 26-Sep-12 07:26:12

I think it's a bit demeaning. It sounds as if you are describing your daughter as a toy not as a person in her own right.

RuleBritannia Wed 26-Sep-12 07:26:46

And it's plebeian.

SpaceCorpsDirective34124 Wed 26-Sep-12 07:27:32

I think it's meant to convey 'preciousness' - as in much beloved and of great value. Important. centre of your world, that sort of thing

I think. That's what I assume when I hear it. and why I try to not think of it as twee but see the sentiment behind it.

ripsishere Wed 26-Sep-12 07:27:44

biscuit

conantg Wed 26-Sep-12 07:27:51

It has a kind of sickly sweet feeling to it, I find it difficult to say why I don't like it. Somehow seems to cheapen things.

Euphemia Wed 26-Sep-12 07:28:05

biscuit

SoupDragon Wed 26-Sep-12 07:29:14

Far better for them so say our little nightmare or our little pain the arse. Shocking that people use terms of endearment isn't it? Really hateful. hmm

FFS.

JeezyOrangePips Wed 26-Sep-12 07:29:53

The only 'little princess' I knew was a spoiled brat of a child. I think 'little princesses' are more likely to be that way.

YANBU op.

JeezyOrangePips Wed 26-Sep-12 07:31:34

Soupdragon, really the only alternative you can find to 'little princess' are negatives.

Odd.

gothicangel Wed 26-Sep-12 07:31:53

id rather that than them calling them little shits or worse,

SoupDragon Wed 26-Sep-12 07:36:05

No, I can find plenty thanks. It's odd that you associate it with being a spoilt brat.

FFS it's a term of endearment. One that the parents have chosen. Get over it.

I'm sure people could pick over your chosen terms of endearment. If they were twats that is.

MrsMymble Wed 26-Sep-12 07:36:11

YANBU. To me it has connotations of passivity, self-worth reliant on looks etc. I do accept that most people who call their DD 'princess' are just being affectionate but I can't imagine doing it myself

Aspiemum2 Wed 26-Sep-12 07:36:16

So when you hear that a child's been abducted you sit in judgement of the parents if they describe their missing child as "their little princess"?

Yabu

flyoverthegoldenhill Wed 26-Sep-12 07:40:33

Aspie there is no evidence she was abducted.

JeezyOrangePips Wed 26-Sep-12 07:41:29

Soupdragon, how is it odd, when I have known I one 'little princess'? One that manipulated her parents. One that threw a hissy fit every time she had to leave a friends house. One that would go running to mum because her brother was watching the television and she wanted to watch something else - and the brother would be shouted at because 'she's only eight' and so needed to watch what she wanted.

Why is it then odd that I associate the term with being utterly indulged?

Aspiemum2 Wed 26-Sep-12 07:42:16

Read the op!

conantg Wed 26-Sep-12 07:43:10

No Apsie, I don't judge them, I feel desperately sorry for their situation; it's just that phrase that kind of trips me up when I hear it.

flyoverthegoldenhill Wed 26-Sep-12 07:44:27

So this has nothing to do with Megan Stammers andwhat her mum said ?

gymboywalton Wed 26-Sep-12 07:45:29

there is no male alternative is there? you don't hear people talking about their 'little prince'..

JeezyOrangePips Wed 26-Sep-12 07:45:57

And in case anyone thinks I am sitting in judgement over the parents, of course I'm not!

I just happen to agree with the op (who does not appear to be sitting in judgement either). It has a whole 'can do no wrong' connotation, due to the Disneyfication of princesses. I don't like it.

YABU, but only because the only "princesses" I know are utter brats, so the description just associates with that in my head.

germyrabbit Wed 26-Sep-12 07:46:58

we call ds little geezer

SoupDragon Wed 26-Sep-12 07:49:29

Soupdragon, how is it odd, when I have known I one 'little princess'?

it is odd because you assume that anyone with that term of endearment is likely to be the same.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now