Talk

Advanced search

DH self-medicating

(17 Posts)
AugustMoon Wed 26-Sep-12 07:10:42

He's taking aniracetam, has been for about a month now.
Aniracetam
He has this capsule machine and makes up his pills, I thought it was like a vitamin complex before so wasn't bothered but I've noticed him 'popping' these at social occasions and today when he left for work there were a load on the kitchen work top next to his phone/ keys.
I think it's affecting his mood. He's so argumentative and quite frankly, nasty, recently.
AIBU to do something? And if not then what do I do?
AIBU to do something about this? And if not then what do I do?

ripsishere Wed 26-Sep-12 07:18:30

Call me thick (or ignorant) but WTAF is a capsule machine? Presumably he makes his own tablets shock.
What is he hoping to achieve by taking this drug? Is he certain that the components are what they say they are? I know to my cost, that certain countries have fake medicines. Placebo at best, dangerous at worst.
Where is he buying the ingredients from?

AugustMoon Wed 26-Sep-12 07:40:13

Yes he makes his own tablets. He buys the powder online - not sure where from. Should I just turn a blind eye? I'm aware he's a grown man and it's up to him what he takes but if I feel he's becoming dependent and that it's affecting his mood / judgement should I intervene?

AugustMoon Wed 26-Sep-12 07:41:44

He has form for drug use and I think he's taking it as he believes it has cognitive enhancing effects hmm

ripsishere Wed 26-Sep-12 07:45:52

I think that is the most bizarre thing I've ever heard of.
I am not sure I'd want that sort of kit and chemicals in my house with my inquisitive DD.
Do you have children/ would he consider stopping taking his home made meds?

AugustMoon Wed 26-Sep-12 08:09:39

yes there are children in the house... I've asked him to stop but from experience that won't make any difference. Would just get into an argument. sad

ripsishere Wed 26-Sep-12 08:13:16

I would chance an argument in your shoes. I am still a bit slack jawed about this.
Must go, need to collect the girl from school. Hopefully someone with experience of this will come by to give you advice rather than my slack jawedness uselessness.

Sexolette Wed 26-Sep-12 08:18:58

Definitely take the argument, how dangerous to ingest drugs that you can't be entirely sure of!!

sookiesookie Wed 26-Sep-12 08:19:09

He is clearly a drug addict. He just thinks that this way its 'more acceptable'.
Personally he wouldn't, nor his drugs, be in my house with my kids.

Sexolette Wed 26-Sep-12 08:19:17

How long has he been doing it for?

LesleyPumpshaft Wed 26-Sep-12 08:27:54

How does he even know that he's actually getting Aniracetam? hmm

No wonder you are concerned.

AugustMoon Wed 26-Sep-12 09:11:04

Sexolette, about a month i think.
LesleyPumpshaft, obviously he doesn't.

PurityBrown Wed 26-Sep-12 09:21:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AugustMoon Wed 26-Sep-12 09:32:20

That's interesting, thanks Purity. I don't think he's taking it with anything else although there are lots of strange "vitamins" in the cupboard. Choline (?) and insositol. I can't actually find the actual aniracetam packet / tub / whatever it's in.
Not sure about the insomnia mind, just been up all night with the baby and he did absolutely sweet FA to help!

PurityBrown Wed 26-Sep-12 09:45:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ripsishere Wed 26-Sep-12 12:49:53

Whatever it is, it doesn't sound great.
Would he be willing to get rid of his tablet press?
I am still astonished as you can tell.

Gustolul Thu 27-Sep-12 22:06:14

Thats odd, Aniracetam is supposed to be a mood easer. It's a completely nontoxic and nonaddictive substance so he shouldn't be really experiencing this sort of thing. Aniracetam is generally taken to help with memory, and thought processes considering it stimulates the AMPA receptors.

There's more information about Aniracetam at the following link, maybe it will help you figure out what you should do about him.

http://www.smartdrugsforthought.com/what-is-aniracetam

Hope this helps you AugustMoon!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now