Talk

Advanced search

To not allow hair extensions for school?

(9 Posts)
Gymbob Tue 25-Sep-12 23:08:56

She went into town on Monday after school and bought 6 clip-on very nasty lovely hair extensions. Mmm nice I said, are they for a party?
No she said they're for school! she's 12.

AIBU not to let her wear them? Even school say that as long as they aren't purple and look pretty much like her normal hair they are ok.

WTF? What's the point of school uniform if you can wear what you like. I thought uniform brought everyone to the same level, so you can't tell who can afford hair extensions and who can't, and possibly not make the the kid on chemo who couldn't wear them if they wanted to feel worse than she already does, if you know what i mean.

Maybe I'm an old fashioned witch, anyway I've said no for now, and there has been tears and tantrums for 2 nights in a row.

Do you / would you let your daughter wear hair extensions for school?

Idocrazythings Tue 25-Sep-12 23:15:51

I would, if they're cheap and nasty by any luck they'll fall out/annoy her before she even gets there! (Hopefully)

Dumbwaitress Tue 25-Sep-12 23:18:08

No I wouldn't allow my DD to wear them either; I'm with you on uniform being uniform, and although the school might think they're ok, you're her mum and also decide what is and isn't appropriate wear for a situation.

Dominodonkey Tue 25-Sep-12 23:18:27

No of course YANBU. She is 12 FGS. Why is she even concerned about how she looks for school?

crackcrackcrak Tue 25-Sep-12 23:19:30

Is there loads of social pressure to wear them?
Could be worse could be piercing a etc. hair extensions sound fairly innocuous in the scheme of things

squeakytoy Tue 25-Sep-12 23:22:44

No, I wouldnt, because the next step will be coloured ones...

Of course 12yo's are concerned about their appearance at school, but that is one of the best reasons for parents to ensure that make up is either minimal or non-existant, and some things are fine for out of school, not fine for in school.

nailak Wed 26-Sep-12 00:22:26

my 21 year old niece wore them somtimes, if you didnt know you wouldnt tell it wasnt her hair, defo didnt lead to coloured ones,

LucieMay Wed 26-Sep-12 00:32:05

Don't understand why people get so upset about kids' hair? It's a total non issue! Just let them do what they want!

CaliforniaLeaving Wed 26-Sep-12 03:31:13

So long as she isn't asking you to get up early to put them in I'd leave her too it. Chances are they would be lost or annoying her by the time she gets home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now