Talk

Advanced search

to think it is terrible to do this to a child?

(150 Posts)
Sallyingforth Tue 25-Sep-12 23:04:59

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wg3m3t87-dk

I know this is a contentious subject, and the surrounding comments are best ignored. It's just the video content that appalls me.

MrsBonkers Tue 25-Sep-12 23:24:29

This won't end well....

SevenYearBitch Tue 25-Sep-12 23:27:21

biscuit

OldLadyKnowsNothing Tue 25-Sep-12 23:30:03

There's worse. And I say that as an atheist.

InvisibleHotPinkWeasel Tue 25-Sep-12 23:30:13

What is it?

Sallyingforth Tue 25-Sep-12 23:31:23

I'm not trying to cause trouble, and I do know it's a sensitive subject.
But to drum that into such a young child just seems wrong.
If she was older and able to question what she was being taught, I could perhaps understand it

OldLadyKnowsNothing Tue 25-Sep-12 23:32:11

It's a video of a two year old girl answering questions about her family's faith, which is Islam. She's obviously learned by rote, the same way a 2 yo would learn nursery rhymes, and the last bit is seriously cute. grin

DuelingFanjo Tue 25-Sep-12 23:32:46

Yep, it's awful that children are indoctrinated by any religion. I hate it. Feel really pissed off that my own ds won't be allowed to continue to be untainted by stupid fairy tales because schools inevitably push religion at kids. It disgusts me that I am supposed to accept this as the status quo.

Sallyingforth Tue 25-Sep-12 23:33:33

OldLady,
If other religions were to be shown doing the same I would be equally condemning. This is NOT a rant about one side.

SavoyCabbage Tue 25-Sep-12 23:34:21

It's a video of a little girl and she's probably about three and someone is asking her questions about being a Muslim like 'which hand do Muslims use when they eat food' 'who are the misguided' and the she is saying the answers then he is asking another question. It's like they are doing it against the clock. He has quite a loud voice. She is as cute as a button.

InvisibleHotPinkWeasel Tue 25-Sep-12 23:34:42

Thank you smile

DixieD Tue 25-Sep-12 23:35:21

All religions drum things into young children. My parents can still recite the Catechism from when it was beaten into them in school. Some of the questions are remarkably smiliar to those in that video. The only really shocking thing was the question about the Jews. Even the Chrisitians are only called misguided, and most religions think that of other religions.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Tue 25-Sep-12 23:35:51

Sally, I see no difference between that, and Xtian parents teaching their dc to say Grace at table, or pray at bedtime, "Now I lay me down to sleep..."

I don't like religious indoctrination any more than you do, but I can't see that there is anything particularly terrible about the video.

Sallyingforth Tue 25-Sep-12 23:39:21

I can't see that there is anything particularly terrible about the video.

You don't think it's wrong to teach her to hate other groups by name?

Birdsgottafly Tue 25-Sep-12 23:40:29

But to drum that into such a young child just seems wrong

All religions do this, there are parts to say back to the priest or Vicar during the service, or things that you must say to take part in any ceromony confused

OldLadyKnowsNothing Tue 25-Sep-12 23:41:03

Remind me how cool the Catholic Church is about homosexuals?

Sallyingforth Tue 25-Sep-12 23:42:50

If The Catholic church drums it into 3 year olds to hate homosexuals by rote that would be equally appalling.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Tue 25-Sep-12 23:44:45

All religions are hierarchical, and in all religions (as far as I know) small children are not permitted much freedom of thought by those higher up. Indoctrinating mindless obedience to a priest is every bit as bad.

MrsBonkers Tue 25-Sep-12 23:44:53

and how young are children when taught lines for a Nativity play?

Birdsgottafly Tue 25-Sep-12 23:51:50

Watch the programmes, usually on BBC2,such as 'truth behind the bible' and the role of women in early Christian Churches and you will see the lies told, which helped to constuct our whole society.

No God based religion allows free thinking.

sashh Tue 25-Sep-12 23:52:30

But to drum that into such a young child just seems wrong.

But the parents see it as doing the best for their child.

cantspel Wed 26-Sep-12 00:01:40

i must have missed the bit in the nativity that includes jew hating.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Wed 26-Sep-12 00:03:10

And did you also miss the bits in the Old Testament about total genocide?

cantspel Wed 26-Sep-12 00:05:51

what has the old testament to do with a nativity play?

OldLadyKnowsNothing Wed 26-Sep-12 00:07:51

Nothing, obviously, but Xtian Bible has many horrors even for small children; how about a horrific death at Easter?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now