Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would it be so terrible to book into a hotel as 2 adults not mentioning the small child...

(75 Posts)
AnyFuleKno Tue 25-Sep-12 22:59:56

Let's say that you book into a holiday inn or some such immense palace of faceless tourism...state that the room is for 2 adults and then smuggle said small child in.

It really is a tiresome arse ache finding a hotel room that I like that acommodates 3, and in reality dd will end up in the bed with us anyway.

<doffs tin hat in preparation for robust replies>

onedev Tue 25-Sep-12 23:01:16

We've done that on more than 1 occasion so YANBU grin

KatzGold Tue 25-Sep-12 23:02:33

Yes because in the event of a fire your small child won't be on the list of occupants.

smalltown Tue 25-Sep-12 23:03:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LostInWales Tue 25-Sep-12 23:05:00

I would think in all honesty you will have no problem finding a hotel like that which will happily accommodate you all in a room for no extra cost and probably provide you with a cot as well. We had no trouble getting a room for all of us until DS3 turned 4. It's a safety issue after all, if there was a fire how would you feel if none of the firefighters searched for your child as the hotel had no record of them being there? (stark I know but true)

NellyJob Tue 25-Sep-12 23:05:47

YANBU although Katz has a point I suppose,,,,

LivingThings Tue 25-Sep-12 23:06:20

I once tried to book a family room in a Travelldoge/Holiday Inn type hotel and when they had none available was asked age of child and told if we didn't need cot/bedding etc they would register him but no extra charge for a double room. He was just over a year old. We took our own travel cot and DS scoffed brekkie with us the next morning no problem and no charge for DS.

NellyJob Tue 25-Sep-12 23:06:51

book the room for two adults and rather than 'smuggle' her in, come clean and hope they won't charge more.

MrSunshine Tue 25-Sep-12 23:07:11

Why would it matter if the baby is on the list of occupants? It will be in their arms in the event of any evacuation.

Don't pretty much all double rooms accomodate a baby though? What is the problem with just telling them?

OhTheConfusion Tue 25-Sep-12 23:08:21

The big faceless hotels normally charge per double room and add a cot/bed for a small child free of charge :-)

I dont think YABU but I agree with the others, get you lo's name on record just incase.

tazzle22 Tue 25-Sep-12 23:09:31

agree with katz........... if there was smoke from a fire and you were all unconcious the firefighters would only look for the persons reported and prob miss your DD.

Surely easy enough to find room with a cot

BreconBeBuggered Tue 25-Sep-12 23:10:46

I've booked family rooms several times in case an extra person came on the trip, when all I initially needed was a twin. They're often the same price. But in those cases I'm usually looking at the budget end of the faceless market. Premier Inn, that kind of thing.

Meglet Tue 25-Sep-12 23:10:56

The fire safety, evacuation side would worry me. everything worries me.

Pochemuchka Tue 25-Sep-12 23:19:02

We've done this a fair few times but always mention the children (both were under 3) when we ring up to be specific about the room we want/needing a cot (nightmare guests!) and when we arrive we reiterate it.
To be honest, family rooms are usually the same price in chain hotels.

Grockle Tue 25-Sep-12 23:25:39

We struggled to book a room in a similar hotel for 5 of us (2 adults, 3 children) - all the hotels wanted us to book 2 rooms. We called one hotel to ask about it & they said it was up to us. We could book a room for 4 people & have a 5th one in there, just that there would be no bed. Since DS2 sleeps on the floor everynight anyway, it wasn't a problem.

We often go away with 3 of us (me, DS & my mum) & have no problem getting a room for us. Most hotels have family rooms or ones with 2 double beds.

schoolgovernor Tue 25-Sep-12 23:32:20

Rooms for 5

Viviennemary Tue 25-Sep-12 23:38:34

Can't believe anybody would even think of doing that. Suppose there was a fire as somebody else has said. And the hotel wouldn't be insured. it's just so irresponsible. A lot of hotels don't even charge for small children. Smuggling in a child!!!

BigFatLegsInWoolyTIghts Tue 25-Sep-12 23:40:38

How the bugger can you smuggle a child in? Unless it's a tiny baby who is asleep! My DD is small...she'd give the game away!

MrSunshine Tue 25-Sep-12 23:40:47

you do realise that if you are in a fire bad enough that a fireman is rifling through your room to find you, you're already dead, yes?

GoldPlatedNineDoors Tue 25-Sep-12 23:42:10

Why would you even want to? A small child wouldnt cost you any extra.anyways if you stay in Marriotts cough cough so I cant understand the benefit.

AnyFuleKno Tue 25-Sep-12 23:43:06

Firefighters aren't rescuing individual guests based on the visitor list though are they?

GoldPlatedNineDoors Tue 25-Sep-12 23:44:58

In the case of a fire evac, the Hotel supplies the fire service with a list of all staff visitors and guests. They will head count.

Why not just book in two adults and one child?

Grockle Tue 25-Sep-12 23:48:54

Thanks schoolgovernor. That is very helpful smile

AnyFuleKno Tue 25-Sep-12 23:49:12

As to how to smuggle child in... Hypothetically of course...

Mum checks in on behalf of family while beleaguered dad distracts small child in wh smith round the corner with a cbeebies magazine.

Mum rejoins family and all go out for afternoon.

All return later when either staff have changed over or aren't likely to notice anyway. The perfect crime?

GoldPlatedNineDoors Tue 25-Sep-12 23:50:55

Yes but why????

Just book for three.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now