Talk

Advanced search

to be incensed by dd1s questions about Emmeline Pankhurst, and to think i must be going wrong somewhere?!

(42 Posts)
MrDobalina Tue 25-Sep-12 20:47:26

7 yo dd1 is doing homework on 'heros'. She has to interview me about my hero and write about it

I got very excited about imparting information about Emmeline Pankhurst and Suffrage

DD1 looking not so excited, in fact positively disinterested; kept saying she just needed short sentences to answer her questions hmm

she asked when she was born-'1858 in Manchester' I replied

dd1- 'MANCHESTER? MANCHESTER?! do you know what mum?! if she was alive NOW, she could go to the X Factor auditions couldn't she?!?!'
sad hmm shock hmm shock sad

WTF?????

MrsTerrysChocolateOrange Tue 25-Sep-12 20:50:11

Mrs Pankhurst made sure that your DD gets to make the completely inane choices she makes. She has the vote, well will when she is old enough, so can think about x Factor not hunger strikes <clutches at straws>

picnicbasketcase Tue 25-Sep-12 20:51:08

The xfactor involves voting doesn't it? Some kind of connection there confused

Fecklessdizzy Tue 25-Sep-12 20:51:44

Blimey ... Pankhurst V Cowell [ boggle emoticon ] I know who I'd be rooting for ... Maybe she could shove him under a horse grin

CajaDeLaMemoria Tue 25-Sep-12 20:51:59

Aww, bless.

It saddens me a bit that we were never taught about the Suffrage. Or Emmeline Pankhurst. A few of us stayed behind to talk to our history teacher about it, who was a lovely man, but it isn't in the curriculum.

IvorHughJanus Tue 25-Sep-12 20:51:59

Yy, tell her that if it weren't for Mrs Pankhurst only men would be able to vote on the x factor grin

MrDobalina Tue 25-Sep-12 20:52:46

i like your thinking ladies!! grin

i will impart that information to dd1, -when i have stopped being all disappointed in her--

MrDobalina Tue 25-Sep-12 20:54:28

ISNT it in the curriculum casa?!

that is an outrage!

MrDobalina Tue 25-Sep-12 20:54:58

caja not casa sorry

MrDobalina Tue 25-Sep-12 20:57:45

i told her about voting on the x factor-and the relevance of Ms Pankhurst...there was a momentary pause,and a glimmer of registration and connection hmm

How can she not be interested? what is not exciting about setting fire to stuff and smashing stuff and getting arrested and going on hunger strike??

Schrodingershamster Tue 25-Sep-12 20:57:50

We talked about it when i was at school. Which was only a few years ago.

NiniLegsInTheAir Tue 25-Sep-12 20:59:59

My DD has Emmeline in her name, so she'll never be able to forget grin

diddl Tue 25-Sep-12 21:00:01

How does a 7yr old even know about X Factor?

MrsTerrysChocolateOrange Tue 25-Sep-12 21:01:30

Have you shown her any pictures? Try making it real. I know someone compared foie gras force-feeding and what they did to the Suffragettes to me when I was very young. I have never forgotten that or eaten foie gras again.

MrsTerrysChocolateOrange Tue 25-Sep-12 21:01:57

Me too, Nini but I didn't want to out myself.

whathasthecatdonenow Tue 25-Sep-12 21:02:06

I spent today debating whether the Suffragettes helped or hindered the women's suffrage movement with Year 9s.

Mrs Garrett-Fawcett won out over Mrs Pankhurst in the end according to 9Y1.

vj32 Tue 25-Sep-12 21:03:57

Emmeline Pankhurst is a rubbish hero, she only cared about middle class wealthy women like herself getting the vote and disowned her daughter for working with the 'lower classes' and having a child out of wedlock. Then there is the whole argument that the suffragettes probably delayed women getting the vote rather than speeding it up, and women wouldn't have got the vote when they did if the opportunity hadn't presented itself because they had to give all men the vote to avoid civil unrest post WW1, so the suffragettes didn't help at all.

What about some others:
Margaret Haig continued campaigning for equality until she died (don't forget women didn't get the vote on the same terms as men until 1928, and even then were still hugely disadvantaged in law), she didn't just give up like EP. She also ran a newspaper and a lots of businesses including a mining company in Wales at a time when it was completely unacceptable for women to do those jobs. And her autobiography is really funny, which wins her points for me.
http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/Whaig.htm

Or Emmeline Pethick Lawrence. Amazing woman, and her husband.
http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/Wpethick.htm

Both much more interesting than Emmeline Pankhurst but largely forgotten from history.

ivykaty44 Tue 25-Sep-12 21:04:13

O my

seeker Tue 25-Sep-12 21:04:42

"I am constantly outraged that my dd's outstanding school, from which she has just got an A* for History didn't do any women's history at all. And it is an all girl's school, founded in 1881

GnocchiGnocchiWhosThere Tue 25-Sep-12 21:05:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NiniLegsInTheAir Tue 25-Sep-12 21:05:40

Whoops, maybe I just did Terry! Who cares, it's a great name

MrDobalina Tue 25-Sep-12 21:05:45

i enjoy a bit of militancy whatsthecatdone!
Its Emmeline all the way for me grin

whathasthecatdonenow Tue 25-Sep-12 21:06:13

vj32, that was the substance of today's debate in class.

MrDobalina Tue 25-Sep-12 21:07:55

<OPs DD is dyslexic and a missing 'e' is the least of her problems>

vj32 Tue 25-Sep-12 21:08:33

Yes, (temporarily hopefully) ex history teacher here, its my favourite topic!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now