Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Home time

(19 Posts)
cheekypickle Tue 25-Sep-12 20:43:03

At home time today I was letting the children out when a mum came up to me and said "who can I complain to?" I said the headteacher. I said what appears to be the problem? She said "one of the kids snuck past you and you didn't even notice, they could've gone home with anyone".

I asked her which child it was and she said "I'm not telling you I'm going to complain"

I mean honestly! It was a honest mistake that he snuck past and that I didn't see him. I would never want a child to go home alone/unaided

AIBU or is she? She went and complained to headteacher

FunnysInLaJardin Tue 25-Sep-12 20:44:59

where did the child 'escape' to and how old we he?

MushroomSoup Tue 25-Sep-12 20:45:12

To be honest, this depends on the age of the children. If I were you I'd have gone to the Head to say I was worried a child had left that I hadn't handed over, and taken his/her advice. As a Head I would prefer that to hearing from a parent.

fluffywhitekittens Tue 25-Sep-12 20:45:20

What year group are they?

cheekypickle Tue 25-Sep-12 20:46:08

Year one

cheekypickle Tue 25-Sep-12 20:47:02

He just stood on playground for must've been 1 minute before his parent collected him

ioness Tue 25-Sep-12 20:47:21

Don't know why she didn't just say, brian has got out. Would have been much more helpful all round. cow.

FunnysInLaJardin Tue 25-Sep-12 20:47:26

where did the child escape to? If the playground YANBU, if a busy road then YABU

MushroomSoup Tue 25-Sep-12 20:48:12

Well to be fair the parent isn't BU. She has seen a young child leaving school's care without procedures being followed. It would've been more helpful if she'd come and told you who it was and where they'd gone, though. Did you tell the Head?

MushroomSoup Tue 25-Sep-12 20:48:44

How do you know the child was collected?

FelicitywasSarca Tue 25-Sep-12 20:48:54

Yanbu, was the woman just watching, waiting for you to slip up rather than watching and helping if an accident occurred? What a cow. You are a person not a machine. I hope your head gave her short shrift.

TramadolJacket Tue 25-Sep-12 20:48:54

How old was the child?

I understand how this could easily happen however I would be very concerned if either of my dcs walked out the the school gate without anyone noticing.

cheekypickle Tue 25-Sep-12 20:49:17

Yes told head and she said not to worry but to make sure each child leaves one at a time next time (this is what we usually do)

MushroomSoup Tue 25-Sep-12 20:51:42

Then you're fine. Stop worrying, learn from it, have a glass of wine, watch some crap tv. Tomorrow is another day!

crazygracieuk Tue 25-Sep-12 20:52:01

She is bu not to tell you who escaped, the child is bu for escaping (assuming he's done Reception so a year of waiting to be dismissed) and you were bu not to notice.

ll31 Tue 25-Sep-12 20:56:34

Would most parents who see that happening not just grab child and bring him back - and tell teacher certainly before the head teacher

akaemmafrost Tue 25-Sep-12 20:57:00

She sounds like a tit for not telling you which child. However I was at a school assembly last week and watched the reception teacher lead her class in. A good five minutes later another member of staff brought a child to her and the teacher looked like shock at the sight of him. She looked very uncomfortable (after telling him off for being missing hmm). She clearly had no clue that he had been left behind and I am sorry but I judged and it made me worry about dd a bit.

OutragedAtThePriceOfFreddos Tue 25-Sep-12 21:25:37

She's being unreasonable.

The reason you work to the system you do and let children out on to the playground is because there is a risk with year one children that they won't do as they are told and stay put.

It was an honest mistake that I'm sure you'll be trying not to repeat. I hate sending the children home for fear of this exact situation.

NatashaBee Tue 25-Sep-12 21:29:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now