Talk

Advanced search

Not to tell DS1 his school planner is on the sofa

(7 Posts)
Ferrybridge Tue 25-Sep-12 20:09:47

where he left it, despite me asking/telling/reminding him to put it back in his bag at least 3 times this evening?

It's a diary with school info/homework record etc and not being able to produce it when asked is an automatic detention.

He's yr 7, so still in his first few weeks in secondary school. TBF he's been reasonably good at organising himself/getting on with homework etc. He's dealt really well with the transition and having to get the bus by himself, so I'm inclined to be kind.

But I have told him three times...

LindyHemming Tue 25-Sep-12 20:12:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

whathasthecatdonenow Tue 25-Sep-12 20:14:43

The purely selfish form tutor in me says YABU, I have to give up my lunch when they forget their planners grin

I'd just put it somewhere prominent and then leave it up to him.

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 25-Sep-12 20:23:07

I think it's how we learn, by making mistakes.

I'm still learning.

Ferrybridge Tue 25-Sep-12 21:07:50

Thank you, I've put it by his place on the breakfast table, but I won't say any more smile

scaevola Tue 25-Sep-12 21:12:19

I'd let him forget it (sorry cat!) because lesser mistakes will be written off as teething problems in the first few weeks; it won't really be remembered let alone held against him; and direct experience that the school's discipline regime really does exist might have a positive effect.

nikcname Tue 25-Sep-12 21:20:40

Don't tell him, but agree with prominent postion and asking him to recount what he has for school! I reminded DS when he was Y7, Y8, Y9. hmm

Now he is Y11 and I no longer remind him to pack his PE bag, put PE kit in the wash (or he has no kit and detention or washes, dries and irons it). Which he hates! grin

If he doesn't do homework (they WILL mention the ones he hasn't done at parents evening!) he gets 24 hrs no screen time for each one he has missed.

It might seem harsh, I also worried about transition etc when DS was Y7. But it is much better for him to get into his own routine without relying on you.

Secondary schools don't take kindly to 'my mum forgot my lunch/PE kit/planner' No YOU forgot it!

All these lessons with DS have been learnt the hard way. Wish I had started earlier in training him to be responsible!blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now