Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To think I'll never have decent sleep and only ever finish one out of every bath...

(17 Posts)
Cherrypieplum Tue 25-Sep-12 18:36:05

Because the baby gets passed to me within minutes of crying. I soothe her therefore I must be the only one in the world who can pacify her :/

And it's my birthday tomorrow so now I'm going to have badly dyed hair and no chance to shave my legs even. Want to cancel the whole fucking thing.

RightUpMyRue Tue 25-Sep-12 18:39:23

It won't be forever and you're not alone smile

Cherrypieplum Tue 25-Sep-12 18:41:20

Thank you smile

ShowOfHands Tue 25-Sep-12 18:41:21

Oh happy birthday for tomorrow.

I think this is common. Often, because other people haven't had the chance to develop ways of soothing them and they've seen how easily you can do it, it becomes the default. DH used to burst into the bathroom with ds sobbing and say 'I've held him off long enough', like it was all just an exercise in depriving him and dh had done me a favour. Even now I'll be in the bath and dh will wander in, undressing ds about to plonk him in the bath with me and I have to remind him that I'm a human being too and need some space sometimes.

Can you have a bath later once the baby is asleep? Or can you have her in the bath with you till she's all relaxed and sleepy, then hand over, top up the hot water and bath to your heart's content?

They grow up you know and you'll have all of the things you're missing. And miss all the things you're disliking. It's a funny old time.

ihatemycat Tue 25-Sep-12 18:43:13

Are you me? It's my birthday tomorrow too!
Currently eating dinner one handed as allegedly only I can get 10 week old DD to sleep
Happy birthday for tomorrow!

Whatdoiknowanyway Tue 25-Sep-12 18:47:57

Oh goodness. The number of baths interrupted with 'hungry baby out here' calls from my husband. Never entered his head that our PFB could perhaps wait 5 minutes whilst her mother grabbed a brief respite. Drove me mad.
But that was yesterday...
This weekend we took DD2 to university and now the house is empty with as much time as we need to have baths, sleep etc, etc.
it's tough at the time but it does pass an awful lot more quickly than you would think possible.

Cherrypieplum Tue 25-Sep-12 18:52:04

Thank you. I know and I feel ungrateful because I know how precious DD is. I think it's just that after two shocking nights sleeps and the promise of having some time to myself has gone down the drain.

She's barely sleeping at the moment and also had been referred to the hospital for a potential genetic disorder. I'm terrified that this is my life from now on.

She tends to go to bed at 8ish and by then I'm ready to go myself as she usually wakes at 2 and 4 and takes a while to feed.

DazR Tue 25-Sep-12 18:52:23

My birthday is not far away and I'm facing my first one with both my girls now at uni. Enjoy your little one at this special time - those baby years pass so fast and it won't be long before you too are home alone and then you will have plenty of time (but miss them terribly!!)

Cherrypieplum Tue 25-Sep-12 18:54:28

I just wish DH would listen. He offers to take her for a drive- she wants a cuddle!

Ihatemycat happy birthday to you too! Oh the one handed teas! I always feel like a bad mother when a drip something on DD's blanket!

Cherrypieplum Tue 25-Sep-12 18:56:18

Thanks Dazr. I know I should make the most of this. I'm just so sleep deprived and going back to work in not very long at all.

margerykemp Tue 25-Sep-12 18:57:51

Leave her with him to cuddle and you go for the drive.

He obviously wont bond unless he's forced to!

Fairylea Tue 25-Sep-12 19:11:00

Ha! This is me.

Shower before school run consists of bunging baby ds under play mat while I frantically shower as fast as humanly possible whilst shouting to dd aged 9 to get dressed.... if I am lucky I have time to wash my hair if not sod it ponytail day again. Fucks sake.

I feel your pain. It does pass though.

Zimbah Tue 25-Sep-12 19:17:38

Have you tried explaining to your DH exactly what you'd like him to do, and why? E.g. "Please cuddle the baby so I can have a bath, I need a bit of space. If she won't settle when you cuddle her, try dancing, jiggling..." and give him a list of possible ways to soothe her that he could try. And then reiterate that even if she still cries, if you could just have 5 mins while your DH holds her then you will feel a bit more human.

Cherrypieplum Tue 25-Sep-12 20:01:11

Thanks Zimbah but my suggestions fall on deaf ears. I've just suggested calpol ( she has a cold), swaddling, formula and a good cuddle.

Cherrypieplum Tue 25-Sep-12 20:02:49

Fairylea- yes! I have straightened my hair twice in four months. Before that is was almost daily!

Fairylea Tue 25-Sep-12 20:36:59

Oooh the days of straighteners..... I remember those...I think !!!! smile

Cherrypieplum Tue 25-Sep-12 21:10:46

Well I managed a quick bath, glass of champagne and takeaway on the way but DD has just woken up! sad(((

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now