Talk

Advanced search

To think if we cull badgers, we might as well eat what we cull?

(47 Posts)
kim147 Tue 25-Sep-12 18:35:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WorraLiberty Tue 25-Sep-12 18:36:27

Well I'm eating a Penguin as I type...

TeacupTempest Tue 25-Sep-12 18:40:24

Apparently badger doesn't taste so good. They are carnivores and therefore taste a bit...less palatable.

sugarice Tue 25-Sep-12 18:41:31

Did you hear Clarissa Dickson-Wright suggest the same thing last week?

Personally I wouldn't but I can't give a reason why considering I eat all meats quite happily.

Salmotrutta Tue 25-Sep-12 18:43:51

Badgers eat insects and worms etc.
I'm sure that means their meat tastes just luverly ... <vomit>

WineGoggles Tue 25-Sep-12 18:44:09

I would, but as Teacup said, they're carnivores so I'm not sure they'll taste that nice. However, this was discussed on The Wright Stuff this morning and apparently they taste like young wild boar shock

TimothyTumblespring Tue 25-Sep-12 18:44:18

Isn't it a bit dodgy to eat animals that eat other animals?

Sallyingforth Tue 25-Sep-12 18:46:38

I'd rather eat the people who want to cull them.

kim147 Tue 25-Sep-12 18:47:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Virgil Tue 25-Sep-12 18:51:16

Chickens turkeys etc eat other animals and we eat them. Mine will happily swallow mice and voles, worms, beetles, caterpillars, frogs and have been known to go for a bit of leftover spaghetti bolognese.

BadgersRetreat Tue 25-Sep-12 18:56:02

please don't eat me <wibble>

Llanbobl Tue 25-Sep-12 18:57:11

I never understand why those people who eat the flesh of other animals get squeamish about certain animals. If you can eat a cow why not eat a badger or ferret or hedgehog? Is there some sort if animal hierarchy that meat eaters abide by? If not it seems hypocritical to be happy to eat Porky Pig but not Brock the Badger.

I suppose the question is really one of public safety - if the badgers do have TB would the meat be passed as fit for human consumption? If not, don't eat it. If it is fit, then eat it, better than wasting it.

BadgerFace Tue 25-Sep-12 18:57:25

Or me! <scared>

CajaDeLaMemoria Tue 25-Sep-12 18:58:48

I wouldn't be happy eating badger.

The cull is because so many of them carry, and spread, disease. Hopefully it won't go ahead, as it's been proven that it's unlikely to be successful, but if it did the meat probably wouldn't be safe to eat.

Clumsymum Tue 25-Sep-12 19:01:56

Jimmy Doherty made 'Badger ham' in a program broadcast a few weeks ago.

Apparently it had a nasty aftertaste.

ForFoxsGlacierMints Tue 25-Sep-12 19:03:08

As we're not allowed to eat the cows who have TB, I doubt we'd be allowed to eat the badgers . . .

MarysBeard Tue 25-Sep-12 19:08:52

Isn't it a bit dodgy to eat animals that eat other animals?

My chickens eat the odd slug, and dried mealworms as a treat. Chickens will eat everything including meat. Now, I haven't tried to eat the chickens, but the eggs taste very nice.

Pigs are also omnivorous. Bacon = yum.

Mackerel and salmon eat other fish and they taste gooood.

confusedpixie Tue 25-Sep-12 19:10:23

I can see your point OP, I'm sure there are H&S rules that would stop it happening though hmm

I'm a veggie but if I ate meat would eat just about anything I think. I'll certainly encourage my children to have an open mind in any sense!

Schrodingershamster Tue 25-Sep-12 19:12:56

I would try it. If someone else said it was nice grin

sugarice Tue 25-Sep-12 19:15:58

I couldn't I don't think. Years ago a friend spoke of her employer eating squirrel!! squirrel I tell you, no way on earth. shock

Badgerina Wed 26-Sep-12 00:20:44

No! angry sad angry If you lot eat me, I'll bloody well eat you back angry grin

Badgerina Wed 26-Sep-12 00:23:30

My brother (who is a massive hippy), eats road kill. When he drives home from work (he lives in deepest, darkest Devon) he picks up any road kill that wasn't there on his way to work that morning. He's eaten pheasant, rabbit, squirrel, but never badger. I have to say if he won't eat badger, then there's a reason, and no one should < boak >

omfgkillmenow Wed 26-Sep-12 00:24:24

Id eat anything that wasnt fish, of pigs fed on fishmeal, you can taste the fish BOAK

omfgkillmenow Wed 26-Sep-12 00:25:09

actually i wouldnt eat anything with scales or insects so not everything, I guess i would eat any mammal

mercury7 Wed 26-Sep-12 01:29:58

as far as I know toxins tend to concentrate as you go further up the food chain...thats a reason for not eating carnivores

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now