Talk

Advanced search

To ask dds teacher to stop making threats she cant follow through?

(55 Posts)
NopofacehaveI Tue 25-Sep-12 16:40:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Softlysoftly Tue 25-Sep-12 16:41:35

She has lost control and empty threats will make it worse. Think you need a word

TidyGOLDDancer Tue 25-Sep-12 16:41:51

A teacher shouldn't be saying things like that anyway. And yes, if she's resorting to screaming things like that, then I'd said she probably has lost some control.

DanyTargaryen Tue 25-Sep-12 16:43:07

That is horrible, there is no way a primary school teacher should be screaming at the class like that, and making silly unfeasible threats! YANBU to be having a serious word with her!

MrsTerrysChocolateOrange Tue 25-Sep-12 16:44:02

Time for a word. It doesn't work when parents do it, it won't work when a teacher does it.

WithoutCaution Tue 25-Sep-12 16:44:04

YANBU talk to either the head of department or the head teacher about your concerns

SomeoneThatYouUsedToKnow Tue 25-Sep-12 16:44:50

Sounds like a loon. I would have a word with her and let her know that it stresses your DD out as she can't tell whether she means what she says or not.

DoMeDon Tue 25-Sep-12 16:49:24

This would have really upset me as a child, and I imagine many other DC. At least the ones who don't grow up with empty threats. If I was shouted at 'you're going home', we went. The teacher is losing her temper and shouting (regularly) is not on. I would be taking it further.

hellymelly Tue 25-Sep-12 16:52:15

She has lost control and sounds as though she has lost the plot completely. (disclaimer -I did once find myself,very sleep deprived and worn ragged, telling dd that she would never be allowed to watch Peppa Pig ever again, but I am her mother not a teacher!).

hellymelly Tue 25-Sep-12 16:53:51

So no, YADNBU.

overmydeadbody Tue 25-Sep-12 16:56:27

Talk to the head about it.

That is appaling, she has lost all control.

She shouldn't be making threatsa like that. She should be following the school's behaviour management policy.

Shocking behaviour.

NopofacehaveI Tue 25-Sep-12 17:00:57

Galena Tue 25-Sep-12 17:01:47

Sounds like she has completely lost the plot. I would talk to the head, however I would phrase it as me being concerned for the teacher, rather than being cross about it - no teacher should get to that stage.

PiedWagtail Tue 25-Sep-12 17:03:40

Are you sure that is what's actually happening, rather than dd coming home and saying that's what's happening?? If she's shouting that much, other teachers would surely be able to hear, and would intervene??? That would happen in our school.

ArielThePiraticalMermaid Tue 25-Sep-12 17:12:16

Sounds like a loon.

Helpful, very helpful hmm. However she does sound enormously stressed and needs some help. Losing control in front of a class is a terrible feeling - I remember when my brother became extremely ill and had a suicide attempt, coupled with me moving house, getting married and a forthcoming OFSTED all happened at the same time and I lost it a few times. It was awful. I took three weeks off and came back ok.

Sounds as thuogh the poor teacher could do with some real help, so YANBU to have a quick word with the head.

I would also echo piedwagtail - it would be very important to establish exactly what is happening first. Children can exaggerate.

NopofacehaveI Tue 25-Sep-12 17:23:06

ArielThePiraticalMermaid Tue 25-Sep-12 17:34:49

Oh dear sad

It is very hard if you are moved from an age group you are comfortable with to one which presents entirely different challenges. If I were you, I would have a quick word with the head, but very much play it like you are concerned for the teacher and by extension, the children. The teacher needs some help.

bubalou Tue 25-Sep-12 17:46:45

I don't think I can offer advice but we used to have a teacher that when she had lost control she would threaten to go and tell the headmaster.

She would then walk out of the classroom and leave us unattended - but if we did peak outside the classroom 9 times out of 10 you could see her crying round the corner.

I didn't feel bad as I was a good girl grin.

This teacher obviously needs help or a full time teaching assistant if she hasn't already got one.

It sucks for her but the kids are more important then her ego so speak to the school if it concerns you.

Callisto Tue 25-Sep-12 17:53:58

Sounds like she needs a career change to me. I would be horrified and bloody furious if a teacher was subjecting my DD to this sort of behaviour and would definitely be having serious words with the head about it.

ArielThePiraticalMermaid Tue 25-Sep-12 17:58:57

There is no way a bunch of women on the internet can decide whether or not this teacher needs a career change! angryangryangry. How the blazes do you know? She needs some help and advice certainly e.g. being moved to a year group more suited to her, or perhaps a doctor's note signing her off with stress for a few weeks so she can get her head straight. What she does not need is a load of bosom-hoiking MNers twittering about her at the school gates.

RedHelenB Tue 25-Sep-12 18:05:49

If you are a teacher yourself then surely you realise that a lot gets lost in the telling. I really would be surprised if all that your dd said was word for word truth!!!

RedHelenB Tue 25-Sep-12 18:07:06

BTW, my kids used to tell me we hadn't paid for things when I knew we had coes they translated "some people haven't brought money in" into it meaning them personally,

BoneyBackJefferson Tue 25-Sep-12 18:08:28

Sounds like she is unsupported by the school, parents and has a "difficult" class.

She needs help not scorn.

Callisto Tue 25-Sep-12 18:18:59

Yes, because helping a useless teacher to keep her job at the expense of the children she is meant to be teaching is a really good idea. hmm

ArielThePiraticalMermaid Tue 25-Sep-12 18:21:31

And you know she is "useless" how exactly?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now