Talk

Advanced search

to ask those of you who got pregnant with Mirena or the coil..

(8 Posts)
autumnlights12 Tue 25-Sep-12 14:31:41

had the coil moved into the wrong place, dropped out, could you still feel the threads at the time of falling pg? And did the pregnancy continue or not?
I've had Mirena since April and am definitely not pg, but worried after a friend of mine with the copper coil announced yesterday that she is 14 weeks pregnant. With her coil, she'd had it for a year, but hadn't been able to feel the threads for a while.
I got pregnant with our third dc whilst taking the pill properly and am worried that a contraceptive I thought was reliable, isn't as reliable as it's made out to be There seem to be so many women on Mumsnet who've fallen pg with Mirena and yet the failure rate is miniscule according to the figures they give you. Almost as effective as sterilization.

autumnlights12 Tue 25-Sep-12 16:13:36

bump

GilbGeekette Tue 25-Sep-12 16:18:59

Nothing helpful to add, other than I was obsessive about checking my threads. I guess if you don't check them regularly, there's always a chance IUDs can come out with a spectacularly heavy period (which I had many of, when I used an IUD as contraception!) My second one was put in incorrectly and I knew it wasn't right - I had unexplained cramps/pain <winces at the memory> never had a Mirena so cannot comment on that. I did, however, get pregnant on the pill which I took reliably and used condoms with if I had an upset tum/antibiotics/other reason to feel neurotic. Is there anything to be gained by talking to your Doc/FP clinic about your worries?

MrsHHanssen Tue 25-Sep-12 16:21:34

I got pregnant with a copper coil in January of this year, it was and still is in perfect position can still feel the threads and everything. I miscarried at 6+3 unfortunately.

Bingdweller Tue 25-Sep-12 16:39:47

I worry a bit about this as I have no threads to check.... Mirena was inserted 6 weeks after I had dd by c-section and it seems the whole coil (& long threads) were sucked up into the black abyss once my womb had fully contracted down.

after minor heart failure I had a scan which confirmed coil is in-situ and it seems to be doing its job.

Sterilisation for me when my 5 years is up!!!

autumnlights12 Tue 25-Sep-12 17:11:52

yes, being able to feel the threads is very reassuring. I couldn't feel mine at first, but thankfully now can. Gives peace of mind until I can frogmarch dh to docs for the snip
I have a stash of cheap pregnancy tests I can take as have only had 2 periods since I got Mirena (which I know is normal) and my natural worrying nature insists on doing a test every now and then just to be sure I'm not pg.

pinktransit Tue 25-Sep-12 17:35:34

Mine had moved. Instead of sitting nicely over the cervix it migrated into my uterus. Unfortunately I had an undiagnosed bicornuate uterus, so ended up with the baby in one half and the coil in the other.
She is now 22 :-)

Llanbobl Tue 25-Sep-12 18:17:35

I had a copper coil and it dislodged - we are talking 18 years ago. The pregnancy was shortlived and resulted in an emergency D&C because I haemorrhaged - not the happiest time of my life sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now