Talk

Advanced search

To give her piriton?

(7 Posts)
WelshMaenad Mon 24-Sep-12 23:41:48

Dd has just come downstairs sobbing. She's prone to ear infections and it looks like she has another doozy, coming off the back of a bad cold. She can't sleep. I've dosed her with junior nurofen but WIBU to give her some Piriton syrup to help her sleep? She's had it before (for a rash), it does make her pleasantly sleepy without doing anything scary. She's off school and to the docs tomorrow in any case. Oh, she's 6.

dikkertjedap Mon 24-Sep-12 23:48:33

Personally I wouldn't. It is still medicine and not really needed.

Would it help to give her a hot water bottle to lie on with the painful ear? Heat often makes the pain less? Alternatively, distraction until she falls asleep. Have you got a CD player and a audio CD she can listen to until she falls asleep?

CoolaSchmoola Mon 24-Sep-12 23:49:34

I would... Maybe that makes me a "bad" parent - but I don't care.

Everyone - kids included - feel better with a good night's sleep.

CoolaSchmoola Mon 24-Sep-12 23:50:48

Now if you had said you wanted to give her it so you could go out etc - then that would be vvv unreasonable. But to help a poorly child have a better night? I'd do it.

WelshMaenad Mon 24-Sep-12 23:54:58

She has sensory weirdness, so cd is a no go, she needs absolute pitch blackness and quiet to sleep. She also shares with her brother (luckily he likes it dark and silent too!). I'll ask if she wants to try a warm wheat bag, we're sitting up till the painkillers kick in to give her a better chance of settling when she does go back to bed.

She wanted to say hello to "mummy's friends in her phone" -

Hello I love you I love mummy my ear hurts good night

Well, that made her happy, any rate!

Shaky Mon 24-Sep-12 23:59:22

Aw that's so sweet,

Tell her I hope she feels better soon and has a really good nights sleep smile

WelshMaenad Tue 25-Sep-12 00:20:22

She's gone to bed. She's had piriton. She started crying when I told her it was time for bed and said 'but I want to sleep and I don't think I can'. Sod it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now