Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to have said no and now feel guilty?

(12 Posts)
Creamplease Mon 24-Sep-12 20:04:08

I live a few doors down to my cousin. He doesn't drive, and yesterday he asked me if he could use my car to go somewhere. Now I'm not a stingy person or anything, but I said no because he isn't insured, and doesn't have a UK license.

He made me feel so shitty about it. Muttering about it raining and he would have put petrol in it, and it's only up the road. Petrol wasn't the problem, it's the fact that it is a new car, I have 3 DC and if anything were to happen I would be screwed. I'm so annoyed that I am feeling guilty now. He also gets stroppy when I refuse to drive his daughter places (same age as one of my DC) because he has no carseat for her!

writing all of this I know i am not being unreasonable, but how comes he can't see this. I'm feeling very akward around him now.

squeakytoy Mon 24-Sep-12 20:06:42

Of course you are not being unreasonable, he is!! You wouldnt just be screwed, you would be breaking the law too.

Tell him if he can afford petrol, he can afford a bloody cab!

Viperidae Mon 24-Sep-12 20:07:53

Nope, YANBU but he is. Tell him you respect the law more than his convenience.

Purple2012 Mon 24-Sep-12 20:08:04

Yanbu. You would be committing an offence of permitting him to drive if you let him.

Creamplease Mon 24-Sep-12 20:12:23

That's what I said, but he laughed when I said it was against the law. Made me feel like a right nerd. I just need to put it behind me, and hope he doesn't ask things again that make me uncomfortable saying no!

elfycat Mon 24-Sep-12 20:13:05

If the police catch him and he's not insured (he couldn't be) and you've given him permission to drive it, then your car would possibly be crushed.

YANBU, he is.

Bobyan Mon 24-Sep-12 20:13:25

Tell him to fuck off and buy his own car grin

CaptainVonTrapp Mon 24-Sep-12 21:03:17

Perhaps he does know hes being unreasonable but is just trying to wear you down. He certainly sounds like a cock. He has no respect for you or the law or the fact that his daughter could be in danger without a car seat. So he is unlikely to respect your property. Don't ever lend him your car.

YANBU

AllPastYears Mon 24-Sep-12 21:16:29

Would he be covered by your insurance? Even if the answer is yes, tell him he wouldn't so it's illegal. grin

AllPastYears Mon 24-Sep-12 21:17:03

No way would I let someone drive my car uninsured. confused

trixymalixy Mon 24-Sep-12 21:21:56

What a tosser your cousin is!!! yADDDDNBU

ipswichwitch Mon 24-Sep-12 21:26:19

Don't you love how your relatives can make you feel like you're being so unreasonable even when you're not? My brother once asked me if he could borrow my car.....to drive to Poland. To see his then gf's family. Never mind the fact her kids didn't have passports (maybe the plan was to smuggle them in the boot). I own an old fiesta that wouldn't make it to the next county never mind eastern Europe. And apparently I was being u
hmmconfused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now