Talk

Advanced search

to be blazing mad at the hmrc?

(17 Posts)
soorploom Mon 24-Sep-12 14:46:06

too angry to even formulate my rant properly. bottom line tax credits were awarded and now they want the money back. i never received said money as it went straight to pay off part of overpayment made previously but now have to pay back the additional awarded monies that i did not apply for or want because evrything is so confusing and a mess. if the money is being taken back wtf am i being asked to pay it back twice. sorry i am just angry and in need of [tea] and [biscuits] and breathe in....... and another thing- whats with the phone line that never gets answered..........................throws herself on sofa in a huff

Ithinkitsjustme Mon 24-Sep-12 14:47:33

Go to citizens advice

aldiwhore Mon 24-Sep-12 14:48:41

This is, in a nut shell, why we stopped applying, and why many have. They make it such a bloody farce people who are entitled to this give up.

The system has cleverly been set up to make it such a ball ache that people won't bother, will struggle on, get in debt and flounder...

Tax breaks would be fairer but then everyone who was entitled to them would actually get them this costing more to the gov.

YANBU.

soorploom Mon 24-Sep-12 14:48:44

i meant brew and [biscuits] and yes the initial mess was my fault because i didn't fill in a form correctly but i am trying to sort it but ........aaaaaaaarrrrrggggggggggggg

soorploom Mon 24-Sep-12 14:49:48

no no no biscuit there time for school run sighs

MadBusLady Mon 24-Sep-12 14:52:20

Tax credits are the work of the devil.

Normally once you actually get through to someone they are very sympathetic and helpful though I've found.

BoysBoysBoysAndMe Mon 24-Sep-12 14:52:37

I don't understand how they can award you credits from what the household income was the previous year.

How they are not connected to the tax and national insurance office so they can judge what your actual income is now is beyond me.

Know of plenty who have had to pay back (not me ) and plenty who have had huge lump sums at the end of the tax year (not me).

One woman I know got £1300 as a lump sum in April! I'm just waiting for her to tell me they want it back grin

It's a farcical system at best.

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 24-Sep-12 15:04:48

I've had a few run-ins with them this year, not on tax credits, just plain old income tax. In the space of three months they have given me a rebate, asked for an extra payment and then given me another rebate. Ironically, when I used to get tax credits that seemed to go through no problem.

sugarice Mon 24-Sep-12 15:09:55

I hate HMRC. I feel for the staff who just go off what the computer tells them but the system is dire. They truly don't know their arse from their elbow.

If there's ever an example of a bully who thinks they can do whatever they wish,it's HMRC .

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 24-Sep-12 15:10:45

"How they are not connected to the tax and national insurance office so they can judge what your actual income is now is beyond me."

It's precisely because some idiot (Brown?) set the thing up as a tax office responsibility rather than a DWP responsibility that they work the way they do. All tax is settled in arrears and if your PAYE goes askew it's corrected via the tax code the following year. The tax office is designed to take money off people as clinically & robotically as possible. Asking them to give money out to people and exercise flexibility and discretion was always a crappy idea.

lynniep Mon 24-Sep-12 15:15:35

oh dont get me started on HMRC.
No. I'm not going to rant.
I'm not

<sits on hands>
<releases hands to press 'post message'>

HalfaShandy Mon 24-Sep-12 15:18:52

I feel your pain OP I really do.

hugs and lots of them coming your way (dont care how unmumsnetty that is).

I am living through a tc nightmare and I fucking hate the fucking incompetetent fuckwiity arseholes with aall the fucking hate with shit on that I can muster.

I have been so ill through their endless incompetence and fuck ups. We are in serious debt through no fault of our own. Nothing ever gets sorted because one department cannot manage simple cimmuniation with another.

We just keep going around in the same old fuckwittery circles.

Seriously 4 months ago I was in such despair that as I sat in the breast clinic awaiting my biopsy results my thought process was that of "oh well if its terminal cancer at leat the TC nightmare will be over". I was so depressed about it all at the time I was almost dissapointed to get the all clear!!

Seriously fucked up.

Still not resolved. Still living a nightmare with them. I have now written to my MP for help.

Good luck - you are not alone! One thing for sure. Once this is sorted I will never claim again. I will cut off my own limbs and eat them if I am skint before claiming ever again. The TC system absolutely terrifies me.

peeriebear Mon 24-Sep-12 15:36:06

They used to be awarded according to current income- I used to have to supply payslips. Now it's all done based on the previous tax year it's not terribly sensible; I was awarded £600-odd in April because DH's yearly income was less than expected. We could have done with the extra at the time, rather than at the end of the year!

sugarice Mon 24-Sep-12 15:43:39

HalfaShandy they're a complete nightmare aren't they. Sorry to hear you're so stressed but glad that you had the all clear regarding your biopsy.

soorploom Mon 24-Sep-12 16:18:00

oh halfashandy have a hug.
my hmrc troubles started because of bereavement which inconveniently happened after the form filling deadline so it was not at the top of my priority list.
i just really need to be disentangled from the whole thing. thought that paying off the money (not insubstantial) and never ever contacting them again would be a good idea but apparantly that doesn't happen.
it feels like some sort of virtual money laundering in a mystical computer world but with real money coming out of my account

TakeMyEyesButNotTheGoat Mon 24-Sep-12 16:41:44

I know so many people who have had to pay them back, numerous times so they stopped claiming altogether. Me included!

Two years ago when I moved in with DP, I told them straight away. I had been a single, working parent up until then, my income hadn't changed at all but they told me I had been overpaid by
£300! Have no idea where they pulled that figure from.

I ripped up the letter and haven't heard a thing since. I didn't bother with a new claim because my new entitlement was £10 a week. For that amount I couldn't be arsed with the stress.

Luckily we can afford to do that now but I would have been screwed if they had done that to me when I was on my own.

Whole system is a farce!

OldGreyWiffleTest Mon 24-Sep-12 16:49:25

My son is entitled to TC because of his disability, and he works. They made such a balls up of it over 2 years (and he had to pay back £1400) that he stopped claiming altogether. They are tossers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now