Talk

Advanced search

To put my cat in the loft?

(19 Posts)
maymoon Mon 24-Sep-12 13:39:50

From 10am this morning I have heard scratching and chewing around my loft hatch. Sounds like mice/rats.

Have called pest control at my local council and they said they can't come until next Monday plus will charge me $47 (should be pounds but no pound sign on laptop!?). I tried private companies but will be $70-$100 (again pounds!).

My cat loved to catch mice/rats when I lived behind some woods but hasn't had any since we moved and was thinking it would solve my problem and please my cat too.

Sparklingbrook Mon 24-Sep-12 13:41:08

How safe is your loft? What is up there as well as the mice? Could it be squirrels? They may bite your cat.

tzella Mon 24-Sep-12 13:43:01

I've heard scuttling recently. Are they in my ceiling or upstair's floor? I'm going with the latter.

TidyGOLDDancer Mon 24-Sep-12 13:43:32

You can't put the cat up there! Sparklingbrook is quite right, you really don't know what's up there and what might bite your cat.

Are you worried about waiting or the money? A lot of councils have a reduced payment scheme for people on benefits. Does this apply to you?

Ithinkitsjustme Mon 24-Sep-12 13:45:01

Don't really care about the cat, but the £ sign should be above the number 3! grin

Lueji Mon 24-Sep-12 13:47:26

In my experience having a kitten in the house made the mice magically disappear.
Maybe all you need is to put the cat's bed in there? And his used litter tray?

GlitterySkulls Mon 24-Sep-12 13:50:38

the rats we get round here tend to be around about the same size as the average cat, so no, i wouldn't.

maymoon Mon 24-Sep-12 13:50:47

Its the wait thats the main thing.
Not on benefits but don't really have a lot of spare cash.
Loft is empty- only moved about 6 weeks ago and have not put anything up there.
Didn't think it would be a squirrel, don't think my cat could take one of them on!

sugarice Mon 24-Sep-12 13:52:03

No don't put the cat up there! Save the Maymoon Cat!! grin

Sparklingbrook Mon 24-Sep-12 13:52:19

We had squirrels in the loft. It was horrible. sad

Sparkling Cat has been bitten by a squirrel-££££££s at the vets. sad

JuliaScurr Mon 24-Sep-12 13:52:57

mothballs in a container (avoids getting eaten) with holes in it. mice/rats hate the smell. cheap, effective, humanesmile

maymoon Mon 24-Sep-12 13:52:59

Lueji: when the scratching next stops will chuck the cats blanket up there. its got to be worth a try

<< goes to find some courage >>

Birdsgottafly Mon 24-Sep-12 13:56:28

They must be coming from somewhere, though and that is really what you need to find out.

The cat might get rid of whatever is up there, but you might get worse in to hibernate over winter, do you have buildings insurance.

quoteunquote Mon 24-Sep-12 13:59:26

what kind of insulation do you have? if it is rockwool(usually is) then it can cause horrible irritations on animals,

are you sure it's not bats.

maymoon Mon 24-Sep-12 14:05:51

Quote: Thanks for that!!

Birds: Do have insurance don't know what it says about pest lodgers though will have to have a look.

Don't think cat will be going up there now I know it might not be mice/rats, she is well 'ard when she needs to but I think thats pushing it a bit!

Ullena Mon 24-Sep-12 14:14:04

One of our cats would probably be yowling at the stepladder by this point - he is obsessed with hunting rodents! He actually has this patrol/inspection route where he has a good sniff around everywhere, lol! He pops round to one of the neigbours too. They give him sardines in exchange for his mousing...am so proud of him!

His brother is next to useless in this field, and prefers the job of fuzzy hot water bottle grin

quoteunquote Mon 24-Sep-12 14:18:32

it may be squirrels, have a good look at the roof, are there any entrance points?

and do you have any climbers growing up the side of your house, or neighbours if you are in a semi, or terrace,

we just solved a friend's rat problem by removing an old wisteria, they are just ladders for rodents, never let them reach the eaves, or touch any part of the house where entrance could be gained.

Sparklingbrook Mon 24-Sep-12 14:20:10

The squirrels had nibbled at the wooden joists in the loft, there were little piles of sawdust.

quoteunquote Mon 24-Sep-12 14:24:55

stick a smoke alarm up there until you get this sorted9all attics should have one anyway), as they love electric wiring,

and if you have an attic water tank, please inspect it carefully, as you might have some bodies in it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now