Talk

Advanced search

to expect more from Fortnum and Mason?

(27 Posts)
IcouldstillbeJoseph Mon 24-Sep-12 12:46:08

I placed an order a couple of weeks ago for 2 gifts for friends, from the F&M website. Paid for them to be delivered seperately to their respective addresses.

Anyway, both were not delivered. I chased them a couple of days after, to be informed there had been a 'glitch' in the system and they would be despatched that night for delivery the following day.

That would have been crap enough - as both gifts now late for their intended purpose. However, they have actually just delivered both gifts to me - instead of what I paid for.

In addition, they have only printed off one gift card and because of the 'way it works' can't supply me the other one, unless i want it posted directly to the recipient - which is unacceptable to me. I want them to know who it's from when they open it IYSWIM, not when a letter turns up on a different day.

I have opted to deliver both gifts myself now - as i'm pissed off basically, and can't be bothered faffing around waiting in for couriers etc.

F&M are calling me back today (apparently) to arrange a refund of the delivery charge to my card.

AIBU to expect a bit more than just the delivery charge refund, from such a supposedly reputable company?

SoupDragon Mon 24-Sep-12 12:46:51

Their customer service is completely and utterly shit.

IcouldstillbeJoseph Mon 24-Sep-12 12:49:54

She was very apologetic etc but its caused me a fair deal of embarrassment tbh - the gifts needed to be there ....which is why I ordered them in plenty of time

SoupDragon Mon 24-Sep-12 12:54:42

It took me nearly 2 months to get someone to even reply to me.

And a further month before they actually did something.

Basically, I ordered something at the end of October. I was charged but it never arrived and no one could find any evidence of my order. The amount of hassle it took to get someone to refund me the bloody money was ridiculous. They then promised me a "gift" by way of apology. It was a £20 gift card. Kind of rubbish as I have no intention of shopping the again.

SoupDragon Mon 24-Sep-12 12:55:14

The woman I ended up speaking to was very apologetic too. Still utterly crap at doing her job mind you.

IcouldstillbeJoseph Mon 24-Sep-12 12:59:50

Wankers wink

SoupDragon Mon 24-Sep-12 17:28:37

Terribly posh wankers though smile

It was stunning how bad their customer service was for such a premium store.

IneedAsockamnesty Mon 24-Sep-12 17:30:46

they are shockingly bad i stopped shopping there about 5 years ago due to crap service

SaraBellumHertz Mon 24-Sep-12 17:33:44

Oh don't get me started. We suffered a similar "glitch" when we ordered some corporate hampers a couple of years ago. An unmitigated disaster which ended with one recipient coming home from hols to £1000+ of fortnight old perishables sitting on their doorstep.

WipsGlitter Mon 24-Sep-12 17:36:04

Awful. Our Christmas pudding and one I got for my sister arrived day after boxing day. We did end up keeping them though. I've not ordered from them again but love going to the shop in London.

WelshMaenad Mon 24-Sep-12 18:43:33

I know someone who had horrific trouble with them last Xmas. I would never ever use them.

IcouldstillbeJoseph Mon 24-Sep-12 19:20:01

Well, just to add fuel to my seething fire they have NOT called me back today as promised to arrange my refund.
I guess i'm going to have to write a letter to someone a bit higher up do you think?

freddiefrog Mon 24-Sep-12 19:23:55

I found them terrible too

I ordered some bits from them last Christmas. Stuff never arrived and it took months to get a refund.

Iamjezabel Mon 24-Sep-12 19:27:35

Honestly yabu. Their failure to deliver hampers and bad customer service have been highly published in the media in recent years.
People continue to use them because they are 'posh' but forget they are shit.

LadySybildeChocolate Mon 24-Sep-12 19:30:02

It took them a few weeks to send my order out a couple of years ago as they had to do 'security checks' hmm.

Rattitude Mon 24-Sep-12 19:31:07

They are on Twitter (@FortnumandMason). You could try and contact them that way, if you have a Twitter account.

freddiefrog Mon 24-Sep-12 19:32:57

I'd ordered some posh tea leaves for my gran and a bottle of white port for my Dad for Christmas, the beginning of October.

I kind of expected them to manage that to be honest, 2 1/2 months gave them plenty of time

Finally got a refund in April

LadySybildeChocolate Mon 24-Sep-12 19:34:22

shock {scuttles off to JL to look at their hampers}

freddiefrog Mon 24-Sep-12 19:37:55

LadySybilde M&S hampers are fab, I've ordered them for the past couple of years. If you wait until nearer Christmas there's normally a discount code floating around for them (assuming you want it for christmas that is smile )

SoupDragon Mon 24-Sep-12 19:51:17

Honestly yabu. Their failure to deliver hampers and bad customer service have been highly published in the media in recent years.

I had read nothing like that at all.

LadySybildeChocolate Mon 24-Sep-12 19:53:02

We had a very tiny one from M&S last year (wasn't really a hamper, more of a cardboard box). I have plans for the empty hamper. grin

horsebiscuit Mon 24-Sep-12 19:54:23

I've heard about their rubbish service too.

IcouldstillbeJoseph Mon 24-Sep-12 20:01:18

I havent seen anything either - otherwise I would've avoided!

AnaIsAlwaysShocked Mon 24-Sep-12 20:04:31

I wouldn't expect anything less from them, My Dsis ordered a cristmas present from them for me one year. They refused to believe it hadn't arrived and I don't think they refunded. In febuary I recieved it, it had been dispatched 2 days prior. They still refused to believe this even though I offered to fax the paper work to show the dispatch date.

Lots of phone calls along the lines of "no it hasn't" yes it has" "NO it hasn't"

Rubbish

ParrotTulip Mon 24-Sep-12 20:09:20

<ponders whether the Queen has these customer service issues withF & M>

Starfuckers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now