Talk

Advanced search

to want to swear at the smug bitch

(12 Posts)
Dawndonna Mon 24-Sep-12 11:36:52

on Sainsburys pet insurance helpline.
They've just turned us down for a claim, dog has an ear infection, a specific type. He has had ear infections before, but not pseudomonas. However, they have decided it was a pre-existing condition and not to pay.
Is there any way round this.
No, it's a pre existing condition.
But it isn't, it's a different and more serious infection.
Pre existing condition.
Anyone I can discuss this with.
Pre existing.
Cancel the damn policy.
I can't. I'll put you through to someone who can. Have a good day!
Aarghhhhhh!

HeathRobinson Mon 24-Sep-12 11:43:21

Try again and ask to speak to a supervisor?

cardamomginger Mon 24-Sep-12 11:44:05

Bugger sad.

Can your vet write to them and explain that this is not a pre-existing condition? But I suppose if you just have 'ear infection' written as an exclusion, then they probably don't care what causes it.

I'm sorry sad. Hope the dog's getting better.

Oh and YANBU to want to. But YABU if you did. Probably. Insurance people can be ghastly.....

Ragwort Mon 24-Sep-12 11:47:24

I find insurance companies always try and wrangle out of paying up .......... I wanted to claim for a lost ring, they insisted on having a photo of the ring (who takes a photo of a ring hmm) - I had the receipt and valuation etc. I gave up bothering in the end.

geegee888 Mon 24-Sep-12 11:51:01

Why didn't they exclude all ear infections when you renewed then?

You need to get your vet to write to them (or write you a statement, hopefully stating that the bacteria causing the infection is a different one, treatable in a different way, and in a slightly different place...).

Insurance is a waste of time. Vets charge more and carry out more prolonged treatment if they know your animal is insured. If you claim for anything, half your animal's body ends up excluded! Whats the point?!

MrSunshine Mon 24-Sep-12 11:58:23

They are only following a script, and don't get paid enough for you to swear at them.

gallifrey Mon 24-Sep-12 13:03:11

Pet insurance companies are crap, any claim you make for anything is then excluded.
My horse got kicked on the knee by another horse in the field and I had to get the vet out to treat it. I didn't even claim on my insurance as the bill was only £50 more than my excess.
I had to tell them he had veterinary treatment when I renewed my policy and the bastards excluded his whole leg for 2 years!

Scholes34 Mon 24-Sep-12 13:09:38

Not just pets. I've had an operation on my ear for a specific matter. Bupa (through my work) won't now cover anything at all to do with my ear, even if it has nothing to do with the operation.

YANBU to want to swear at her. YABU if you do.

Dawndonna Mon 24-Sep-12 14:13:30

Just to say, I didn't swear until I put the 'phone down.
Am now dealing with their social media team as I wrote a sarcy comment on faceache!

LateDeveloper Mon 24-Sep-12 14:17:56

write a formal complaint. if they don't pay out and feel they are not treating you fairly you can take your case to the financial ombudsman service for free. if the financial ombudsman finds in your favour the insurance company is legally obliged to pay whatever compensation they order.

DameKewcumber Mon 24-Sep-12 14:19:29

I'll just bet their poor social media team pick up all teh crap from inadequate call operatives!

JesusInTheCabbageVan Mon 24-Sep-12 14:30:23

We had the same thing with PetPlan, for diarrhoea, on the grounds that he'd been treated for it two years previously.

I did ask at the time: do you really think he's had the dribbling shits for two years straight?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now