Talk

Advanced search

to feel stressed out driving on motorway at night in heavy rain

(94 Posts)
agnesf Sun 23-Sep-12 22:44:46

Have just completed 150 miles drive in rain with DH & DCs in car. DH cannot drive for health reasons so its always me in this situation. I find it really stressful to extent that right arm has gone numb from being so tense.

I used to be a bit more chilled about this but now feel like just one slip and I could kill everyone.

On radio was a programme about racing drivers being killed in Grand Prix and had to get DH to turn it off. AIBU

Knowsabitabouteducation Sun 23-Sep-12 22:45:31

Yanbu

WorraLiberty Sun 23-Sep-12 22:46:38

YANBU at all.

My Dad is a very experienced driver and yet driving through a torrential downpour brought on an angina attack the other week.

It's probably one of the most stressful things ever...that and ice/snow.

Hassled Sun 23-Sep-12 22:49:11

I don't even know how to drive and the concept of having to drive on a motorway in heavy rain brings me out in a cold sweat. I hate being a passenger in those circumstances - am always so conscious of how tense and alert and stressed the driver is.

OwedToAutumn Sun 23-Sep-12 22:49:19

No, that is a stressful thing to do.

I'm pleased you're all safe and sound - due to your careful driving!

BIWI Sun 23-Sep-12 22:50:25

It isn't easy. But make sure that:

- your windscreen is as clean as it can be on the inside, as well as the outside
- you are wearing your glasses/you have had your eyes tested so that you are wearing glasses with the appropriate prescription
- you have your headlights on
- you are driving at the appropriate speeds
- you have your headlights on
- you stay in the inside lane, doing the appropriate speed

And if it's really awful, come off the motorway at the next services and let the rain abate somewhat

Take breaks regularly and keep yourself 'fresh' - if you're tired, take a break

agnesf Sun 23-Sep-12 22:52:00

I always seem to be driving slower than evryone else even though I am doing 50-60. I can't understand how anyone could stop if doing 70 in those conditions so feel double stressed becuase a) worried about crashing b) worried about causing crash due to slow driving.

Maybe should do some kind of motorway driving course.

ErmahgerdPerngwens Sun 23-Sep-12 22:53:01

No YANBU at all.

MorrisZapp Sun 23-Sep-12 22:53:46

Yanbu

I hate motorways with a passion.

missingmumxox Sun 23-Sep-12 22:54:29

YRNBU my DH just phoned me, he has just done his 150 mile commute to his lodging and he said he found it hard driving tonight and he didn't have the added responsibility of his loved ones around him,

edam Sun 23-Sep-12 22:54:32

YANBU at all. I was having driving lessons last year - sadly can't atm for medical reasons - and I was seriously worried about passing my test and having to drive on motorways in the dark. You can't see that well, fgs, it's not good!

WorraLiberty Sun 23-Sep-12 22:55:45

Yes a motorway driving course is a brilliant idea...also an advanced driving course if you have the money.

My exH is a driving instructor and he swore by them for everyone as motorway driving is so very different.

agnesf Sun 23-Sep-12 22:56:05

Thank you for kind re assurance. To me it is possibly the worst thing I ever have to do and DH doesn't get it becuase he doesn't really ever have to do it.

AitchTwoOhOneTwo Sun 23-Sep-12 22:56:12

totally sympathise... it's awful.

headinhands Sun 23-Sep-12 22:56:24

My hands pour with sweat when driving on the motorway. I think it's the notion more than the reality because it's just an A road with another lane and longer slip roads. I have to do them from time to time. I figure if I needed to use them daily I'd be like 'pah'. As with everything else in life it's just experience.

highlandcoo Sun 23-Sep-12 22:56:58

It's really horrible - lots of sympathy for you here. I'm a confident driver, but passing lorries on the motorway with loads of spray leading to poor visibility is incredibly stressful. I avoid travelling in these conditions if I can but of course that's not always possible.

Yes, maybe an advanced driving course with focus on these situations would help a bit.

Well done for getting your family home safely smile

AitchTwoOhOneTwo Sun 23-Sep-12 22:57:51

motorways in general don't phase me, but when the roads are bouncing with rain and you've got a whacking great truck up your arse... it's just plain frightening.

agnesf Sun 23-Sep-12 22:59:10

Who are all those nutters zig zagging diagonally across lanes at about 90 MPH? Young feccless men/ women - they really scare me!

GoldPlatedNineDoors Sun 23-Sep-12 22:59:26

If you find it this stressful, and your DH is not being sympathetic or understanding, then start getting the train. Or have people come to you. Or meet half way.

Being so tense driving is going to make the whole trip unenjoyable for you.

BurlingtonBertieFromBow Sun 23-Sep-12 23:00:19

Driving in heavy rain is very stressful, and I say that as someone who enjoys driving a lot. It's when you get a sudden drench and can see fuck all - argh

happybubblebrain Sun 23-Sep-12 23:00:45

YANBU
I'm so glad I don't drive. The stress would probably kill me, that's if the driving didn't first.

Viviennemary Sun 23-Sep-12 23:02:37

I totally hate motorways in the rain. Driving rain at night on a busy motorway. Can't think of anything much more stressful. Especially if you get trapped in between huge lorries or behind one of those that carry about 20 cars I always think one is going to fall off. I'm a wreck even thinking about it! You're home safe and sound so just relax.

theinets Sun 23-Sep-12 23:03:22

Yanbu. The standard of people's driving on the motorways over the years has deteriorated massively in my opinion. People drive with no respect to conditions, it's scary. And I say that as quite a confident and experienced (20 yrs) driver.

beanandspud Sun 23-Sep-12 23:05:37

I drive about 25,000 miles a year and I still hate driving in heavy rain on the motorway. The only thing worse is fog or snow/ice.

You are NBU, I think it's complacency in those conditions that causes accidents.

EugenesAxe Sun 23-Sep-12 23:07:25

Patently YANBU... but don't feel bad about driving at the speed you want. My Mum (not me, the driver) said 'That doesn't look good...' when cars coming from the other direction had their lights on (at midday) and sure enough about 3 miles down the road someone practically poured water over the motorway... I had to slow to 30-40mph; it was terrible!

Perhaps try singing loudly or laughing about something, to release some of that tension. You are all safe now though thanks to you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now