Talk

Advanced search

To think people should win on merit...

(5 Posts)
Softlysoftly Sun 23-Sep-12 22:05:28

... Not how many social networking friends they have?

I know people just want to help their mates but when I get a "please click to vote for my mate to win this beauty/art/writing etc competition" I won't.

It's just I haven't judged the competitors on merit, its surely unfair that everything boils down to popularity and marketing hypocrite marketer rather than actual talent competition iyswim? And yes I know I can then go and check out the competition and vote fairly but how many people will and how many will just click "like" without thinking?

WorraLiberty Sun 23-Sep-12 22:07:32

I absolutely agree.

These things have become much more about how many people you know online than anything else.

If I do click, I always look at all the entrants and vote for whoever I think deserves it...not necessarily whoever's asked me to vote for them.

bumperella Sun 23-Sep-12 22:34:06

Most competitions are about marketing though. So clicking "like" on your freinds freinds next door neighbours dogs cousin is exactly what the competition organisers want. All the competition organisers care about is getting the greatest number of people to be aware of their brand, so of course it's not about merit.

McHappyPants2012 Sun 23-Sep-12 23:35:43

Yanbu, so when friends ask to vote for something i will vote on someone else in the competition smile

weegiemum Sun 23-Sep-12 23:40:04

I never thought about voting for someone else, McHP .

Up until now I have just ignored but I like that twist! Evil grin

<clearly does not have enough to do>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now