Talk

Advanced search

Aibu to expect my kids to brush their own teeth?

(14 Posts)
Flossiecombover Sun 23-Sep-12 21:21:29

At what age do they stop having to be constantly reminded to brush their own fecking teeth?One 14ds and one 10dd and this is still an issue?Any ideas to get them to actually want to do it all by themselves?They seem ok to just walk out the door without doing it and see it as another chore that they have to endure.I am getting more and more irate and they just look at me as if I'm an idiot for even suggesting a quick two minutes in the bathroom to prevent yellowing teeth/dog breath.Wtf have I raised?

AnOldieButNotSoGoody Sun 23-Sep-12 21:24:00

Not just yours I promise.

Mine are the same, especially the teenager. Every sodding night ' have you brushed your teeth ' said through gritted teeth. Mine.

WorraLiberty Sun 23-Sep-12 21:24:20

There is only one think that'll make them brush their teeth without nagging and sadly that's dating.

Wait til your DS is constantly scrubbing his teeth, throwing a strop over hair gel and stinking out the bathroom with Lynx.

You'll look back and wish you could return to the days of poor oral hygiene, believe me grin

<< Bitter >>

Flossiecombover Sun 23-Sep-12 22:00:37

The 14 yo actually has himself down as a ladies man...'in your dreams'I feel like screaming at him wink

ValerieDavis Fri 19-Oct-12 09:59:49

My Dentist has this great website they've created for kids, my DD loves going on it and I've found some great tips on it too in the parents section :-) Theres a downloadable teeth brushing chart on it that I use for my children - worth taking a look at if it can help your problem :-) x www.543junior.co.uk/index.php

mrsfuzzy Fri 19-Oct-12 10:04:31

worrel has a good point but i found that all the chat about brushing etc fell on deaf ears and what finally did the trick was bad tooth ache with each of them, everyone now brushes twice a day, sad but true.

TantrumsAndBalloons Fri 19-Oct-12 10:11:04

Oh Yy to the teenage boy in the bathroom for hours leaving a cloud of lynx so thick it chokes you!

A1980 Fri 19-Oct-12 10:13:03

YANBU at that age they should be able to take responsibility. but unfortunately its something you'll still have to police if they won't do it.
One of colleagues ds never bothered at secondary school. he'd got beyond the age that she supervised him. but unbeknownst to her he was drinking cola all day and never brushing his teeth. he now has ugly black fillings from front to back on both sides. he's realised his mistake all too late.

CouthyMowEatingBraiiiiinz Fri 19-Oct-12 10:28:16

My dentist has always told me that the majority of DC's will be able to brush their own teeth effectively by age 7yo.

My 14yo DD HATES teeth brushing, and has to be nagged morning and night to do it, but she has SN's that complicate the issue.

My 10yo DS1 would rather die than go outside without brushing his teeth, religiously brushes his teeth morning and night, no reminders, no complaining, gets on and does it.

I still have to brush my just turned 9yo's teeth due to his physical issues - he doesn't have the manual dexterity to do it properly himself. Doesn't remember they need doing either, but has no issues with them being done once he has been reminded.

20mo DS3 lives getting his teeth brushed so much that he has a spare toothbrush in his toy box, and his second and third words were "Bruss teef, bruss teef".

All different!

valiumredhead Fri 19-Oct-12 10:30:16

Not just yours - I still do a check and sometimes a quick going over with ds and he's 11! Ds does them but not always as thoroughly as he should - difficult because he has crowded teeth so it makes it tricky.

steppemum Fri 19-Oct-12 10:49:42

I got so sick of my ds pretending he has done is (10 yo) that we now have a system. Dh puts toothpaste on all brushes as he goes downstairs in morning/up to do bath in evening. If toothpaste is still on your brush after you have left for school/gone to bed, you looses 10p pocket money. Worked overnight.

Only problem is that he hasn't yet worked out he can just wash it off, when that happens i am sunk

steppemum Fri 19-Oct-12 10:52:56

Oh and last visit to dentist (who up until now always told him wht lovely teeth he has) I said to dentist/ Are his teeth clean? worried as he hasn't been brushing as good as he should. Dentist looked at me with a twinkle in his eye. 'shall we give them a little clean?' gave them a gentle polish with disgusting tasting polish. The link between good brushing and easy dentist visit has been established...

ClippedPhoenix Fri 19-Oct-12 11:40:04

The dentist "shamed" my DS into cleaning them grin

FolkGhoul Fri 19-Oct-12 11:42:47

I check DS's teeth before he leaves for school every day. And he's sent up to do them again if they're not clean.

Again.
And again.
And again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now