Talk

Advanced search

to ask you what makes a formal family and what an informal?

(13 Posts)
BornToShopForcedToWork Sun 23-Sep-12 19:53:03

Subject says it all.

gordyslovesheep Sun 23-Sep-12 19:54:07

eh?

catgirl1976 Sun 23-Sep-12 19:55:32

confused

nkf Sun 23-Sep-12 19:56:03

Farting in front of each other = informal.

BornToShopForcedToWork Sun 23-Sep-12 19:56:35

Oh sorry... tipping from my phone and was a bit lazy. Reading through nanny job descriptions I saw that many families either describe themselves as formal or informal.

JeezyOrangePips Sun 23-Sep-12 19:56:51

Wearing black tie to dinner every night - formal

Maria2007loveshersleep Sun 23-Sep-12 19:57:43

What on earth?? confused

gordyslovesheep Sun 23-Sep-12 19:58:12

formal - Naice - dress for dinner - children call them Mater and Pater

Informal - eat breakfast in their pants, wee with the door open?

Tweasels Sun 23-Sep-12 20:00:46

Don't know but I like the sound of Informal people better. Unless that means unconventional, like they walk around wearing nothing but a bow tie all day......
Although, if they wear bow ties then they are formal........

Adversecamber Sun 23-Sep-12 20:00:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

catgirl1976 Sun 23-Sep-12 20:01:00

Oh I see.

I suppose in those terms is relates to the relationship they are intending to have with the nanny?

Eg - formal - very old-school with the nanny being very distinctly an employee and the family having formal meals and being very hot on observing "old fashioned" social conventions. Strict time tables

informal being more free and easy with the nanny being more "Part of the family" and things being more casual and less ordered?

Am guessing though

FanjoPingpong Sun 23-Sep-12 20:05:06

I have no idea. I can't think of real people who'd use 'formal' or 'informal' to describe themselves.

RobinSucks Sun 23-Sep-12 22:09:12

I see this in nanny job adverts but it's usually the agency using those terms- based on speaking with the family and wanting to make the best match. In general I've found families described as 'formal' tend to be those where there are few signs of the family having children- I've seen houses with living rooms which the children are clearly not allowed in, one family that you had to carry the buggy upstairs every time you brought it in so it was out of sight! They tend to be the ones looking for 24 hour care, as in the nanny gets the monitor at night and gets up for the kids.

The relationship tends to be different too, the more formal houses seem to be the ones that require you to ask permission for play dates, or to take the children to new places. They also seem to have more staff, nanny plus housekeeper plus gardener, in one case 2 nannies, gardener, full-time housekeeper, accounts assistant once a week plus a cleaner! For a house with one child! If I were to describe the family to the next nanny or something I would definitely say they were a formal family.

My preference is to find those that don't say formal or informal, just a family! Seems to be by area too, I interviewed for several families I would describe as formal in the Kensington/Knightsbridge kind of areas.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now