Talk

Advanced search

To think that journalists use Mumsnet as source material?

(15 Posts)
Vagabond Sun 23-Sep-12 19:11:00

Hello! We can see youuuu!

AGoldenOrange Sun 23-Sep-12 19:13:11

Is Matthew Wright reseacher around?

SeaShellsMyDogTrulySmells Sun 23-Sep-12 19:14:47

The Guardian has connections to MNHQ, Daily Mail regularly rehashes threads and Wright Stuff are blatant...plus we have lots of journos and writers that are MNetters (Caitlin Moran for one) <waves>

TheLazyGirlBlog Sun 23-Sep-12 19:16:17

God, d'you think so note to self, don't swear quite so much and/or mention being from Chatham...

Why would they want to?

All we do is discuss being pissed, swear alot, and slag off our DPs/DHs/DCs/ and extended family.

scottishmummy Sun 23-Sep-12 19:18:27

so what if they do?mn isn't safe space or cost chat with pals
it's open,accessible visible to all
and frankly at times it's a bit Kyle show anyway

strandednomore Sun 23-Sep-12 19:19:01

There's some great stories to be found on MN, like some of the campaigns etc - also things about birth (wasn't there someone stuck up a mountain and in labour in the middle of all that snow a couple of years ago?) always make good newspaper fodder.
If I was a journo I'd certainly keep a good eye on MN. Lots of great real-life stuff.

Mintyy Sun 23-Sep-12 19:20:09

Yes, lots and lots and lots of times. However, tis considered troll-hunting to say anything when you suspect it.

sooperdooper Sun 23-Sep-12 19:21:13

I'm sure journalists use plenty of busy forums for background information and ideas on the general consensus of opinion on certain topics, I don't think it's unique to mumsnet

Vagabond Sun 23-Sep-12 19:22:59

Oooh, I love Caitlin Moran <sits up a bit>. Her recent book was a potty mouthed bit of brilliance.

I always wonder how human interest stories end up in the Daily Mail. There was one the other day about a woman who found her ex living in her attic. How did that make the paper? Did she contact them so say "hey, Daily Mail, you're not gonna believe what happened to ME?" or do the journos pick it up from here? I've always been curious. But not in a journalistic sense, IYSWIM.grin

InvisibleHotPinkWeasel Sun 23-Sep-12 19:24:33

Lots of Mnetters are pm'd by journalists, tis not uncommon on any forum.

THETrills Sun 23-Sep-12 19:25:17

Oh come on ,this is not an AIBU, that's like saying "AIBU to think the sky is blue?" or "AIBU to think that Mumsnet is on the internet?"

strandednomore Sun 23-Sep-12 19:26:37

A lot of stuff gets picked up from local newspapers. So eg someone local to the person the story is about might tell a local journalist or the local journalist will hear it from one of their sources (eg the local gossip), then write the story - and if it's good enough will try and flog it to the nationals or the nationals might see the story in the local rag and do it themselves. Or use an agency. Women's magazines like "I can't Believe This Happened to Me!" (or whatever) do similar.

HereBenson Sun 23-Sep-12 19:28:24

I've seen Netmums quoted in articles more often recently.

TheLazyGirlBlog Sun 23-Sep-12 19:28:24

How the hell did she not realise he was living in the attic? When did he go up there? What a weird idea. How needy!

Oh well, if they do, they do, very much an open forum, they don't close it off like another I could mention which is an elitist fleapit and excuse to bitch about non members where the PM system isn't private as the moderator reads them all wink

Just shows what an intelligent, interesting forward thinking and informed bunch we all are (praises self and whole of MN)

TheOneAndOnlyMaryZed Sun 23-Sep-12 19:31:03

Are you hoping for a unanimous AIBU thread?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now