Talk

Advanced search

beech hedging (problem neighbour)

(20 Posts)
sixlostmonkeys Sun 23-Sep-12 16:31:12

I've been having a problem for about a year now with the neighbours whose garden backs onto my back garden.
The 6ft fence that for years has served to keep all gardens nice and secure became damaged in the wind last winter.
Long story (cut short) regarding the fixing of this fence - I had to do a makeshift repair in order to keep my dogs secure in my garden, but as the fence belongs to him I obviously couldn't replace it.

A year has gone by and he hasn't repaired or replaced this fence and now it seems he has no intention of doing so. He is made a little picket fence about 2 meters in, which keeps his vicious, yappy dogs away from the main fence and now he has planted beech hedging right up against the boundary fence.

Now, my way of thinking is that you simply don't plant beech hedging flush with a fence. You have no way of access to one side of the hedge in order to trim it. As the hedge grows it will damage the fence.

I am about to have a new sturdy fence built just inside the boundary (I can't remove his existing fence so I'm putting mine on my land so to speak.)
This new fence is taking all of my savings, so I really don't want it being damaged by a hedge. Even if I wasn't going to build a new fence I wouldn't want his hedging breaking the existing fence as my garden would no longer be secure for my dogs and burglars will have their rat-run back.

Wibu to ask him to replant this hedge a few feet from the boundary?

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sun 23-Sep-12 16:34:51

It won't dangerous the fence if you chop it back right to the boundary whenever it starts to sneak across smile

squishyotter Sun 23-Sep-12 16:34:55

No possibility of finding a few quotes for fence/post replacement and offering to go halves on the cost with your neighbour?

ByTheWay1 Sun 23-Sep-12 16:36:27

YABU - the boundary is his responsibility, he gets to decide what goes right up to it.... If you don't want your fence damaged don't put it there....

does he know it is "his" fence that is broken - or is he thinking it is "yours"?

missymoomoomee Sun 23-Sep-12 16:39:07

I don't understand if its a boundry fence that was damaged. If it was its not just up to him to repair it. It sounds like he has done his best in keeping his dogs secure and has now opted for a hedge instead of a fence. If you don't like it then why don't you ask for your fence to be built a few feet from the boundry? Sorry but imo YABU.

sixlostmonkeys Sun 23-Sep-12 16:40:00

It's not so much going to sneak across it is more going to grow into the wooden panels of the fence.
It can't be trimmed as it is already flush to the fence - the main stem being a few CMs away from the fence and the twigs and leaves already bunched up.

No chance of going halves no - the story is too long to tell here.... and to be honest I wouldn't know where to start. I guess this hedging is actually an improvement on his first solution to the broken panel being to place glass panes at the boundary.....

sixlostmonkeys Sun 23-Sep-12 16:41:43

Yes he knows the fence is his responsibility even though he lives in a council flat.

cantspel Sun 23-Sep-12 16:48:03

It might be his fence but there is no legal requirement to mark a boundary with a fence as to the hedge as long as it is planted on his property then there is nothing you can do about it bar cut back any bits that grow over on to your property.

Look on the bright side at least he is planting beech and not leylandii

sixlostmonkeys Sun 23-Sep-12 16:50:56

Oh I know, and I actually like beech. It growing over into my garden wouldn't be an issue.

My issue is that he has planted it so close to the fence that it will evenually break the fence with means that the garden is no longer secure.

WithoutCaution Sun 23-Sep-12 16:51:40

Could you use post and rail (maybe with sheep wire added on) instead of a panel fence? Would allow you to trim back the hedge and minimize any potential damage to your fence.

WithoutCaution Sun 23-Sep-12 16:52:28

* Would also keep your dogs secure

My neighbour has a low wooden fence across his front garden which he takes down occasionally so he can park an extra car or skip or something similar there, the panels just lift out of clips,maybe you could look into something similar so you can take them out to trim it.

FWIW, we have a fence (ours) at the rear boundary, the neighbour has a laurel hedge behind it, it grow several feet higher and is at the moment overhanging by several feet, which I don't really mind but the fence has not suffered any damage and it has been there for several years, so it might not be a problem.

sixlostmonkeys Sun 23-Sep-12 16:58:12

That would be a great idea withoutcaution, and under normal circumstances I would take on your suggestion, gush lots of thank yous and go ahead and do it.
The problem is, the fence needs to be solid - ie, no gaps for the dogs to see through.
When his dogs see anything they go absolutely crackers and carry on for ages. After a year of it I just can't take any more - this is why I'm paying loads for a solid built fence. sad

Shakirasma Sun 23-Sep-12 16:58:30

Agree with withoutcaution. Beech hedging forms a lovely, dense boundary. Wait until it's mature enough to hide the crappy old fence then rip said fence out and replace with stock fencing. Nice and cheap, and the hedge will happily grow through it.

cantspel Sun 23-Sep-12 17:00:09

As long as a beech hedge is properly maintained it will not harm a fence.
I have a beech hedge at the side of my property it has a fence behind it and the hedge grows upto the fence. i keep the hedge at about 6ft tall as they can get upto around 5 metres if left. They are easy to shape and look lovely as they turn from green to brown in autumn and then back to green in spring.

sixlostmonkeys Sun 23-Sep-12 17:00:34

thanks for the reassurance timegoes.
I have in the past had damaged fences and sheds due to privet, but I'm no expert on all shrubbery violence grin

TirednessKills Sun 23-Sep-12 19:42:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RightBuggerforGOLD Sun 23-Sep-12 21:51:55

Yabu. He can put up whatever he likes on his boundary. His hedge won't damage your fence if you keep it chopped back to the boundary which is your right and your responsibility.

BlueSkySinking Sun 23-Sep-12 22:06:47

Can't you just keep cutting his tree back - anything that over hangs your land you can chop.

sixlostmonkeys Sun 23-Sep-12 22:12:07

I agree; beech is indeed a lovely hedge. sadly I can't simply just put wire type fencing on my side as, as I said above his dogs go crackers when they can see through.
But even so - it would not be an option as between me and the beech hedging is the old 6 ft fence. This fence would prevent me, him or anyone else being able to trim prune chop back or cut it.

I shall be putting a sturdy fence up to my side of the boundary. My concerns were that the hedge would damage the current fence and eventually my new fence. However, I am glad to be reassured that beech does not damage fencing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now