Talk

Advanced search

to wonder why Y3 girls are not allowed to wear bikinis

(75 Posts)
catwoo Sun 23-Sep-12 15:11:11

for school swimming.Apparently tankinis aren't allowed either. DD only has one piece costumes but taher fancies a bikini (she has an older sister).She has been questioning why not and it has made me wonder too.Boys can and do wear speedos which are essentially bikini bottoms, so why must a 7 yr old girl's midriff be covered and not a 7 yo boy's?

RightUpMyRue Sun 23-Sep-12 15:14:41

I don't know for sure but I would say a one piece is easier to get on and off by yourself when you're 7 and a one piece won't come off when you jump in/mess about in the pool.

DD's school had the same rule BTW.

PunkInDublic Sun 23-Sep-12 15:14:50

I hate bikinis as they're a right faff on. If you're flat chested the top just shifts around causing a bloody nuisance and it rides up when you swim, I once exposed myself at that waterfall where the filmed the timotei shampoo advert when I jumped in and my top stayed on the water's surface. I like a one piece as it's anchored as it were. I assume the school shares my view.

almapudden Sun 23-Sep-12 15:16:01

Because it sexualises them. Bikinis are designed to show off your breasts. Most 7 year olds don't have breasts, and they shouldn't be showing them off.

Theas18 Sun 23-Sep-12 15:17:18

Is it because " uniform regs " say 1 piece cossie?

I suspect it's just easier with jumping / diving not to have bits tht might fall off or need constant fiddling with to keep in place over on existent boobies. We certainly have not had 2piece cossies for swimming classes/ training. A 1piece costume is just a better / easier bit if kit for actually training in. Bikinis for play/beach etc

SecretNutellaFix Sun 23-Sep-12 15:17:41

plus one piece swimsuits are less fuss and bother?

What would happen if she lost the top part? or the bottom part?

squeakytoy Sun 23-Sep-12 15:17:45

I would have thought a one piece for school swimming was common sense really. Bikini style tops ride up, which would no doubt cause much giggling amongst the kids for a start, and when you are jumping in and out of water and actually swimming rather than posing around by a holiday pool or on the beach, a costume is better to wear.

ScatterChasse Sun 23-Sep-12 15:18:41

I think it will be because it's less of a faff (they're not always easy to fasten) and less bits to lose!

More for practicality than anything else imo.

WorraLiberty Sun 23-Sep-12 15:29:09

The tops ride up when they dive/jump in and can hinder swimming.

seeker Sun 23-Sep-12 15:30:40

Because bikinis are ick on 7 year olds

Hotcoffeeisamemory Sun 23-Sep-12 15:30:41

Boys don't have a one piece. Girls do. It's the rule. Bathers are easier. Personally, I think bikinis on young girls are awful.

ethelb Sun 23-Sep-12 15:35:28

can the girls just wear bikini bottoms like they do in France?

seeker Sun 23-Sep-12 15:37:06

Or they could just wear a one piece swimming costume like school says? Just a thought....

purplehouse Sun 23-Sep-12 15:50:07

To those who are wondering why they can't just wear bikini bottoms at 7yo - well I have a 6yo boy and a 4yo girl.

4yo girl knows women don't go about topless in the pool - she doesn't want to either.

6yo boy, well, he would not be able to stop himself giggling because again, he knows that women cover their top half in the pool. He thinks boobs are funny full stop actually.

I would presume the school rules are mainly for practicality - one piece instead of two. Additionally I do agree that bikinis on young girls are rather adult.

charade Sun 23-Sep-12 15:51:58

Because bikini tops ride up and cause hilarity

Because it reduces the competitive fashion element (My school had a uniform swimming costume)

Because adult women don't wear bikinis for proper swimming, only for leisure swimming (generally)

It would be inappropriate for a lot of girls that age to wear just bottoms and many would not want to.

Boys usually have to wear speedo type costumes rather than baggy holiday swimming type shorts so essentially both genders are being told to wear the conventional garments for serious/competitive swimming rather than for playing around the pool.

cantspel Sun 23-Sep-12 15:55:03

bikinis are for the beach and sunbathing, one piece costumes are for swimming in

vodkaanddietirnbru Sun 23-Sep-12 15:55:51

dd wears one like this. She doesnt own a one piece costume and nothing is specified by the school. It is easier for going to the toilet as you dont have to take the whole thing down.

ScatterChasse Sun 23-Sep-12 15:56:31

She might be grateful...typical swimming pool sides are freezing when you're wet, even when your midriff is covered! grin

BellaTalbert Sun 23-Sep-12 15:56:41

If its the uniform code then you really should follow it. I don't have a problem with girls wearing bikinis my dd now 10 has worn them since toddlerhood as I found them easier to use. There are some bikinis that sexualise children but the majority do not.

Moominsarescary Sun 23-Sep-12 15:56:43

Ds has to wear tight trunks for swimming, no baggy trunks allowed. No idea why. Just put her in what the school asks, it's not a big deal

maillotjaune Sun 23-Sep-12 15:57:57

Boys have to wear speedo type shorts for our school swimming lessons, to the disgust if my DS and his friends who favour the baggy shorts normally.

Tough - it's school, and the instructors ask them to wear swimwear that is functional not riding up / flapping about so they concentrate on swimming.

Vagaceratops Sun 23-Sep-12 16:02:42

Bikinis on young children are nasty.

McHappyPants2012 Sun 23-Sep-12 16:07:06

I agree with the school

amillionyears Sun 23-Sep-12 16:08:04

What is your own personal reason for asking?

charade Sun 23-Sep-12 16:10:15

Baggy shorts make it hard for the instructor to see what the leg movement is like. They are also harder to actually swim in so a hindrance when you are learning.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now