Talk

Advanced search

Mental illness jokes

(18 Posts)
meMillyme Sun 23-Sep-12 12:43:48

I am a secondary school TA. I have just found my work mate (a maths teacher) has been re-tweeting ‘jokes’ about mental illness. I’m disgusted with her. Should I approach her directly about it? Or am I overreacting? Help!

(I’m quite willing to be told if I am being unreasonable by the way)

OHforDUCKScake Sun 23-Sep-12 12:52:43

Im quite partial to the odd un-PC jokes. But I two people I hear them from and would only share them with, behind closed doors.

A teacher, tweeting mental health jokes via twitter is disgusting. Do her students see? Its horrendous how judged, stereotyped and misunderstood mental health issues are. Let alone a teacher of all people, mocking it for our next generation to see.

Tee2072 Sun 23-Sep-12 12:58:51

Depends on the jokes. Are they funny?

Note: I have many and varied mental illnesses. I find such jokes very funny, usually.

meMillyme Sun 23-Sep-12 12:59:27

Well her profile is public....

TheRealAmyFarrahFowler Sun 23-Sep-12 12:59:53

YANBU
Appalling and unacceptable.
Do teachers have a professional code of conduct?
I would report the teacher.

puds11 Sun 23-Sep-12 13:00:02

I think twitter is unreasonable.

meMillyme Sun 23-Sep-12 13:00:09

Tee - no, they aren't. Not even witty.

Tee2072 Sun 23-Sep-12 13:02:03

Ah well, in that case, have a word. "Not only are those joke offensive to some, they aren't even funny. You look like a twit."

Or, you know, something nicer.

grin

BackforGood Sun 23-Sep-12 13:02:05

I agree with OHforDuckscake.
I too can smile at some very un-pc jokes, in the privacy of my own family or close griends, but, as a teacher, she should know better than to do that publically. Perhaps, if you feel strongly, you should tell her you find them offensive, and that she should remember that anyone can see whatever she puts on Twitter, so, if you are offended, then it's quite possible other people will be too.

MrsjREwing Sun 23-Sep-12 13:10:10

I often find those that resort to calling others Mental are not very Mentally well.

Behaviour can be described as odd, unusual, angry etc, no need to describe it as mental or unhinged.

YANBU.

lovebunny Sun 23-Sep-12 13:22:14

if its a few jokes, ignore.
if its a campaign, speak to her line manager or ideally, your own union representative.

Birdsgottafly Sun 23-Sep-12 13:45:12

I would speak to her and explain the trouble that she can get into.

There is a professional code of conduct and she shouldn't be doing that on a public profile.

bringbacksideburns Sun 23-Sep-12 13:47:19

Difficult to judge as i don't know what the 'jokes' are.

Has she mental health problems herself because sometimes it helps to have a laugh and certainly helped me and my brother in times past.

SoleSource Sun 23-Sep-12 13:48:10

Lmao puds

Yanbu

WorraLiberty Sun 23-Sep-12 13:52:43

There should be advice/rules in your E.Policy about public profiles.

I would tell her that hers is public (in case she's unaware) and then gently point out that perhaps her sense of humour could compromise her job unless she tightens her security settings.

amillionyears Sun 23-Sep-12 13:54:37

Tell your workmate that the chances are,her,or some other close relative might get it soon.
At worst,it might make her stop and think.
At best,it might just stop her.

rainonmyparade Sun 23-Sep-12 13:55:48

YANBU. She is being very unprofessional.

YouMayLogOut Sun 23-Sep-12 14:30:31

YANBU. Would she be equally happy to make "jokes" about physical disabilities?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now