Talk

Advanced search

To give a regift to DDs?!

(24 Posts)
Softlysoftly Sun 23-Sep-12 11:12:35

I'm on Mat allowance so things are a bit tight and we now have 2 DCs for christmas.

DH bought DD1 an unsuitable gift for her 2nd bday which was instantly hidden and never opened (tiny pieces), she's now 3 and I'm wondering if I can get away with wrapping it back up for a Christmas present for her?

We also have a lovely rocket stacker thing and a mini music set we bought for friends DS bday and christmas last year that we had to replace as he already had them. I've been keeping them to give to someone else but DD2 will be the perfect age for them.

Is that really really tight? 2nd hand doesn't bother me btw it's just the fact they weren't bought lovingly for them iyswim? confused

goodiegoodieyumyum Sun 23-Sep-12 11:16:17

That's fine Softly, no problem she won't now the difference, if you have toys sitting there to give to someone why not yor dd.

THETrills Sun 23-Sep-12 11:18:55

Well they certainly won't care, will they?

YANBU - you save money, your DDs get nice new toys (and they are not second hand, they have never been used)

CanIOfferYouAPombear Sun 23-Sep-12 11:23:06

Yanbu at all! I've done this with DS before and he didn't notice. I also get him books/stocking filler toys throughout the year from charity shops.
We are not exactly poor but not millionaires either, it just makes sense to save money where you can.

THETrills Sun 23-Sep-12 11:24:17

Even if you were millionaires, it would be very silly to let two brand-new correct-aged nice toys go to waste because you had originally bought them for a different purpose.

Especially since the toy for DD1 was bought for her.

BikeRunSki Sun 23-Sep-12 11:27:09

Fine. I am on the unpaid bit of mat leave and am doing the same. Am also keeping back some of DS's many birthday presents for distraction on DD's birthday or Christmas.

SavoyCabbage Sun 23-Sep-12 11:30:19

I gave a dolls house to dd1 when she was three. She wasn't even slightly interested in it and when we moved when she was five it was never unpacked.

When she was eight and dd2 turned 4 we gave it to dd2 for her birthday. Neither of them noticed.

UC Sun 23-Sep-12 11:31:09

Of course it's ok. Actually, I think you're being rather silly to even worry about it at all!!!

Teamthrills Sun 23-Sep-12 11:32:06

I do this all the time!! I gave dc3 old toys from the loft for her first xmas. I've also put birthday present toys, that ds paid no attention to when he got them, away for xmas as he'll probably be more ready for them then.

CollieEye Sun 23-Sep-12 11:38:59

I had an awful moment one Christmas Eve three months after DD was born. Excited 3 yr old DS told me that "Santa visits good boys and girls, I've been a good boy... where's DD's stocking? She's been a good girl."

Oh shit. I hastily stuffed a stocking with some things I'd put aside that DS had outgrown. He recognised the books.

Santa recycles. grin

OnwardBound Sun 23-Sep-12 11:42:30

Of course it's okay!

Your DD will have new toys, one of which was actually bought for her!

If it makes you feel any better I have been known to give my 3 yr old and 1 yr old second hand charity shop items for birthdays and Christmas.

I save money, they get new toys, the charity shop gets funds, we are recycling and saving the planet, EVERYBODY wins!

Disclaimer - Obviously I won't be able to get away as easily with this once DC are above the age of 5 grin

TheUnsinkableTitanic Sun 23-Sep-12 11:43:09

i do this all the time softly - unfortunately oldest DC has clicked on and i can't regift his birthday presents 3 months later lol

enjoy it while you can smile

MonsterBookOfTysons Sun 23-Sep-12 11:45:03

I did this for ds's 4th birthday this year, a Bob the builder draw and drive thing his great nanna had bought when he was 2 and we didnt have the space.
He liked it and never remembered opening it the first time grin

Viviennemary Sun 23-Sep-12 11:49:16

I'd don't think there is anything wrong with doing this. After all she has never seen it.

Alligatorpie Sun 23-Sep-12 11:51:50

I have done it a few times, but I think I need to stop. The Easter bunny brought dd1 aged 6 a basket of stuff and in it was some hair clips she had been given for her birthday, but had never worn. She excitedly said " I have more of these at home! " luckily we were on vacation and she forgotten by the time we got back.

Softlysoftly Sun 23-Sep-12 13:09:14

Oh good I'll go for it then! She has a good memory but I whipped ir away quick so don't think shell know!

May have to start buying clothes soon though, we've had three years of neices hand me downs but she's started twirling around saying "look I'm x".

shuffleballchange Sun 23-Sep-12 13:35:40

Of course you can, we had virtually no money for DS1s 2ndXmas, I wrapped a pack of nappies, socks and a toy he already had. She won't know at all.

Mrsjay Sun 23-Sep-12 15:37:24

Of course you can she is 3 she won't know or care what were you going to do with the present just give it, christmas isn't about spending pots of money it really isn't

avivabeaver Sun 23-Sep-12 17:45:56

though i was the only one that went loft-surfing in december! dd3 has had countless stuff that belonged to her sisters wrapped up and stuck under the tree.
makes sense to me!

Mrsjay Sun 23-Sep-12 17:48:31

MY aunt has 7 grandchildren and when they were all small and into toys she would pull out 'stuff' from the loft at christmas time she always had something for somebody she just bought in the sales

purplehouse Sun 23-Sep-12 17:48:50

It's fine - your DDs will be happy with the presents.

If you want to hear something really bad blush, I wrapped something up for DS's first Christmas, he was 9m and thought it was pretty. Put it away at some point and wrapped it up for 2nd Christmas grin. He was thrilled with it. I can't even remember if I did it a 3rd time shock

Mrsjay Sun 23-Sep-12 17:49:15

MY dd is a february birthday I always used to over buy for christmas but would just give it for birthday instead makes sense

picnicbasketcase Sun 23-Sep-12 17:49:55

Crazy to worry about it - go for it

honeytea Sun 23-Sep-12 17:51:57

Not a problem at all!

When we were kids my mum wrapped up the toys we liked and gave them to us as christmas gifts!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now