Talk

Advanced search

to take this part time job if offered it?

(23 Posts)
glorifiedtramp Sun 23-Sep-12 10:50:26

I was made redundant a few months ago and my lack of success in gaining new employment has meant that I've decided to do a 'post experience' course at the local Uni. I've applied for a few part time retail jobs to help support this and I have an interview for Tesco tomorrow, it's just for 16 hours a week and will really help with the bills for the next year. My background is in PR and I've made a good living out of it but the arse is falling out of the industry and I'm changing course completely now, I'm going in to mental health nursing. Last night, my sister sniggered when I told her about the Tesco job, she says I'm 'undermining' myself by 'lowering' myself to work for them. Yes, she's a bit of a snob but it's really stung. I have no problem with working for Tesco, AIBU in thinking she's being totally out of order here?

usualsuspect3 Sun 23-Sep-12 10:55:55

Jobs at Tesco are quite hard to get ATM, plenty of people would be very happy to get any job really.

So she is BU.

TheBirderer Sun 23-Sep-12 10:56:25

"I'm 'undermining' myself by 'lowering' myself"

Hah!

I wish there was an emoticon that represented a hollow laugh. A few years back I worked in a large retail chain that employed graduates, PHD students, people with all sorts of experience in professional careers. We weren't lowering ourselves, we were doing what we needed to get by because of our circumstances. A job that pays the bills is a job worth taking. You can always look for something that pays better or utilises your other skills and take this job in the meanwhile, if you want to.

PierreBourdieu Sun 23-Sep-12 10:59:19

She is being VVVVU. Money is money. Good luck with your studies, ignore this twit.

THETrills Sun 23-Sep-12 11:01:38

Pah.

YANBU

SIBU completely out of order.

slartybartfast Sun 23-Sep-12 11:03:43

she is, bu. i know people who are rejected for tesco shock which is really demoralising. you have done really well. if you dont get past interview stage care assistant might be a good suggestoin? as an aid to your mental health nursing?

ByTheSea Sun 23-Sep-12 11:03:50

Sounds like an ideal job whilst studying. She is wrong.

usualsuspect3 Sun 23-Sep-12 11:06:08

Yes my DP was turned down for a driving job at Tesco, despite having years of driving delivery experience.

Very demoralising.

slartybartfast Sun 23-Sep-12 11:06:50

my dh too and an ex work colleague sad its really crap

Sallyingforth Sun 23-Sep-12 11:08:53

She is wrong.
Any job is worth doing if it's under proper working conditions.
Do it and be proud!

Sallyingforth Sun 23-Sep-12 11:12:43

To the other posters: I'm sorry you didn't get the job but that's due to the competition, not to the job being crap.

JellyBelly10 Sun 23-Sep-12 11:15:52

She is being VU. A job in Tesco is exactly the sort of thing you need as it will not require you to worry about it when you're not there if you know what I mean. The last thing you need when you are studying is the sort of job where you will ave to take stuff home or be on call or just feel stressed about it when you should be studying. So a part-time retail job is ideal, it pays some bills, gives you a sense of independence and of contributing to the family finances whilst allowing you to prepare for the next stage in your career. I sometimes question why I am working part time for £7 an hour as a TA when I used to earn over £70k a year in my pre-children life! BUt I'm doing it because it enables me to contribute a few hundred pounds towards the bills and because I feel bloody lucky to have a job at all that fits around my children.

slartybartfast Sun 23-Sep-12 11:16:09

me?
no the rejection is crap

aldiwhore Sun 23-Sep-12 11:55:40

YANBU.

You have to take what you can get sometimes. It might not be suitable forever, you may get bored, but 16hrs a week will bring in the money so be proud.

I have just got a part time job, after doing jobs I loathe for a few months to simply update my CV and show willing. The job I've just landed isn't amazing but its a job I can do without too much thought, no bringing work home with me, and fits in with my family life... there's no shame in that.

Good luck with your MH Nursing course by the way!!

usualsuspect3 Sun 23-Sep-12 12:10:58

The job situation is crap, not the job. I don't think anyone said the job was crap confused

BertieBotts Sun 23-Sep-12 12:14:43

Why on earth not? It looks lots better on a CV not to have a gap!

Retail jobs can be really fun, I love the people. It doesn't have to be forever at all and can be quite a nice stopgap - retail and reception work are my favourite "casual" type jobs because you get to talk to people all day grin

SoleSource Sun 23-Sep-12 15:53:52

Your Sister needs a change of attitude. Fucking disrespectful.

NowThenNowThen Sun 23-Sep-12 17:13:00

On another positive note, there is a real need for good mental health nurses in the UK, so job opportunities should be good when you qualify.
Like you, I am trying to get a part time job, and have rejected from many so far, so you have done well!

Mrsjay Sun 23-Sep-12 17:17:56

your sister is a snob as you said and undermining seriously I wonder if your sister was in your position will she take a supermarket job people in glass houses and all that... take the job it is a wage after all ,

MY daughter works in a supermarket at the weekends a snooty woman asked her recently if this was her real job hmm

OrangeImperialGoldBlether Sun 23-Sep-12 17:20:49

Deborah Meaden from Dragons' Den was on the radio a few months talking about this very thing. She was scathing about new graduates who had never had a job who wanted to be managers. She was saying that unless you'd worked at the coalface you shouldn't put yourself up for management jobs. She was asked which she'd prefer, a graduate who'd spent a year after graduation looking for jobs or a graduate who'd spent a year after graduation looking for jobs whilst working cleaning toilets. Without any hesitation she said she'd rather have the toilet cleaner - she said it was hard and horrible work and if someone had shown they were prepared to be independent and to work hard it was worth more than anything else.

Your sister is an ill informed snob, OP!

Mrsjay Sun 23-Sep-12 17:24:37

People can't really expect to walk into top jobs without experience can they ?

Alliwantisaroomsomewhere Sun 23-Sep-12 19:54:47

YANBU. Your sister is being a twat and is being unfair on you.

FamiliesShareGerms Sun 23-Sep-12 20:28:54

Nothing wrong with supermarket work, your sister IBVU

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now