Talk

Advanced search

To throw out the ends of the bread?

(39 Posts)
EleanorHandbasket Sun 23-Sep-12 10:41:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrSunshine Sun 23-Sep-12 10:43:26

yabu. If he's going to eat them, you don't have to. Let him have his nasty bread heels.

aldiwhore Sun 23-Sep-12 10:44:23

YABU. YOu could have given them to the birds, ducks, made a pudding from them... chucking them IS a waste.

Though I have been known to chuck them, its easier on my ears if I retain them, make breadcrumbs to freeze etc., it takes very little hassle and I am converted.

bigsnugglebunny Sun 23-Sep-12 10:44:58

We call them the "heels" - they ming. YANBU to not like them.

YABU to chuck em out though, if he'll eat them. Also they can be used as breadcrumbs, let them go dry in the air, whizz em in a food processor and then freeze them till you need breadcrumbs smile

Yabu but not because of what your dh says! I'd make a load of breadcrumbs to freeze smile

btw - 8 slices every day shock

bigsnugglebunny Sun 23-Sep-12 10:45:36

Ohh X-posted with both those! grin

TheHeirOfSlytherin Sun 23-Sep-12 10:46:36

Yabu, the "crusts" as we call them are yummy toasted with loads of butter.

MrsMangoBiscuit Sun 23-Sep-12 10:46:48

YABU, sorry. I'd have fed them to the ducks, made bread and butter pudding (if they weren't stale) or grated them and frozen them to use as breadcrumb sprinkles for topping mac and cheese!

peanutMD Sun 23-Sep-12 10:47:25

YABU - it is wasteful, you could send them to me we fight over who gets then in our house grin

EleanorHandbasket Sun 23-Sep-12 10:48:07

halcyondays Sun 23-Sep-12 10:48:24

Yanbu, toast them

MrsMangoBiscuit Sun 23-Sep-12 10:48:34

Ooh lots of Xposts, wasting bread is obviously a hot topic! grin

How does he get through 8 slices for sandwiches? Does he take in lunch for his team?

pumpkinsweetie Sun 23-Sep-12 10:48:44

Yanbu-we call them 'nob ends' in our house grin, infact i have called them that since i can remember obviously not realising back then what a nob end was!
I either feed them to the birds or use them to wipe fat from my roasting tray boak

tryingtoleave Sun 23-Sep-12 10:50:37

We call them the bum of the bread. Dh will eat them but I won't.

EleanorHandbasket Sun 23-Sep-12 10:54:17

babesdontlie Sun 23-Sep-12 11:02:53

Ooop north the end slices of a loaf are a delicacy, with butter and jam or toasted, with any topping,!

DH comes from the east end of London and says the 'nob' end of the bread is waste and for throwing away !!

I've got him trained now, he cuts the end crust off, butters it and gives it to me - yummy

strictlovingmum Sun 23-Sep-12 11:05:02

How about making French toast for breakfast the next day, delicious with butter and jam, honey and perfect for sunday breakfast.
IMO I would feel bad about trowing that much bread out.

StealthPolarBear Sun 23-Sep-12 11:06:55

Is 'crust' not a universal term then?
They're lovely toasted but I wpuldnt have them in sandwiches. That said, with 8 slices a day, chances are he's eaten most of them so his 30 pounds a year is surely a bit of an overestimate?

THETrills Sun 23-Sep-12 11:09:33

YABU - the ends of that bread could feed a family for a week (if it's the same family who make 6 meals out of one small chicke)

THETrills Sun 23-Sep-12 11:10:20

Crusts of sliced bread are not terribly interesting, but YABU to call them rank if someone wants to eat them.

Bread that you slice yourself, the crusts are lovely.

Viviennemary Sun 23-Sep-12 11:14:41

I don't eat crusts as my parents didn't. DH does eat them even if there is other bread. I'd have to be really hungry to eat a crust. I think it's just what you're used to.

THETrills Sun 23-Sep-12 11:15:12

If he eats 6 slices of bread every day then you will never have to eat the crusts, unless you go through 3 loaves of bread every day.

multipoodles Sun 23-Sep-12 11:18:59

I make bread crumbs from the heels, I freeze the heels until I have a bag full then semi defrost and blitz them then refreeze. i then take handfuls out for toppings, stuffings etc just when needed. Sometimes if making beans on toast and DH is about he gets the heels toast and never complains. It is wasteful to throw them out sad

brdgrl Sun 23-Sep-12 11:24:27

Please don't feed them to the ducks. sad

They are nice for making French toast. Or breadcrumbs.

THETrills Sun 23-Sep-12 11:26:06

There's nothing wrong with throwing them out if nobody in the house likes them, and if you don't do sufficient cooking-with breadcrumbs.

But YAB bonkers to throw out food that DH is happy to eat (and that won't make him ill or anything)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now