Talk

Advanced search

To teach the two year old to make a cup of tea?

(20 Posts)
FloppyWire Sun 23-Sep-12 06:56:12

This morning DD (2.9) has got up, put the baby's dummy in, brought me a cuddly toy to snuggle, and 'read' a book to DD2, whilst I wake myself up (not a morning person!)

I could really use a cup of tea...

MakeHayNotStraw Sun 23-Sep-12 06:59:24

Not at all. Vital life skill. How lovely of your dd!

Mine are struggling with learning that Mummy does not like her head jumped on before 7am.

lucertola28 Sun 23-Sep-12 06:59:46

yanbu, teach her to make coffee too and toast smile

SlipperyNipple Sun 23-Sep-12 07:02:44

I think start with G&T...no hot water involved so fine.

RecursiveMoon Sun 23-Sep-12 07:03:57

DH was pondering how long it would be until DS could make us a cup of tea only yesterday grin.

He thought 10 years - DS is 2, I think fewer, but I'm not sure how many.

sashh Sun 23-Sep-12 07:09:04

My mum taught my brother to make coffee when he was quite little. I'm not sure how little, but he couldn't read. She stopped him after he made 'coffee' with gravy browning.

FloppyWire Sun 23-Sep-12 07:16:28

Gravy browning? < boak >

Perhaps I should just teach her to change her sister's nappy instead...

boaty Sun 23-Sep-12 07:24:28

Mine started making drinks about the age of 4, light meals from 6 plus, main meals from 9/10...by the time they left school all could cook and clean for themselves. Eldest is a chef now!

NameChangeGalore Sun 23-Sep-12 07:34:46

My dd, when she was 2.5, brought me a cup of water up to bed when I was suffering from the flu and vomiting. I'll never forget that moment, I was so proud of her. She used her dirty Minnie Mouse mug from the night before and it had milk all stuck around the edges. Tea would've been good too!

Selky Sun 23-Sep-12 07:37:34

If you manage, please let me know how it is done. DS now five and well overdue to start making Mummy tea.

shemademedoit Sun 23-Sep-12 08:02:32

Sounds reasonable, although priority-wise, I'd teach him to pour a glass of wine first.

FunnyBird Sun 23-Sep-12 08:06:01

Mine is 2.6 and she's been bringing me cups of tea. V. helpful, as we have a new baby. I only wish my imagination was as vivid as hers, so I could fully appreciate it.

Badgerina Sun 23-Sep-12 10:26:42

DS (7) makes me toast and hot chocolate grin

I agree with whoever said G&T - get your priorities straight!

noblegiraffe Sun 23-Sep-12 10:33:54

My 3 year old makes me tea. Sadly it's just pretend tea from his toy kettle and tea set, but it's all good training for later grin

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sun 23-Sep-12 11:10:34

On Chat I'd find the thought of a 2yo making tea funny.

On AIBU it's anything but funny confused

But maybe that's because my dad when he was a boy tried to help his mother make a drink for his little brother (when babies had scalded milk. My dad is in his 70s)

He still has the scar on his neck where he tipped the boiling milk on himself sad

Convert Sun 23-Sep-12 11:14:46

My DH has taught the boys to bring him lager from the fridge. Ds2 bought him a bud at 10am yesterday. I'm starting to worry grin

Flobbadobs Sun 23-Sep-12 11:35:08

Fgs don't let them until they can judge how much coffee to put in! The first time DS did it for us you could have stood the spoon up on its own in the cup. I had to pour it away in the kindest possible way and teach him to do it properly, if I'd drunk it I would have had the jitters for a week! He now makes better coffee than I do smile

WofflingOn Sun 23-Sep-12 11:37:09

I think SlipperyNipple has the right approach. Then on to cocktails.
Leave the boiling water for later.

cozietoesie Sun 23-Sep-12 11:44:02

I made my first cup of tea (in bed) for my parents at 3. Rotten smug little sod that I was, I stayed there while they drank it.

It must have been absolutely disgusting! (I had no idea how to make real tea - it was just an approximation from what I'd 'seen Mummy do'.)

So be careful what you ask for FloppyWire.

grin

FloppyWire Sun 23-Sep-12 11:56:20

70 I'm sorry if I upset you. I guess because I'd seen lighthearted threads in AIBU before and the title seemed to fit, I put it here.

I wouldn't actually teach my precious child to handle boiling water at two years of age sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now