Talk

Advanced search

to wash a kitten?

(40 Posts)
chinley Sun 23-Sep-12 00:53:14

I have 2 kittens, age 7 weeks and they don't smell great. They are cleaning themselves but not very thoroughly. WIBU to give them a little wash?

ILoveTIFFANY Sun 23-Sep-12 00:54:51

Somebody tried that earlier tonight! It didn't end well..

chinley Sun 23-Sep-12 00:56:53

Oh really??? Don't suppose you have a link?

LadySybildeChocolate Sun 23-Sep-12 00:58:43

Some animal parents tend to reject little babies if they don't recognise their smell. I wouldn't.

ORANGEgiraffesCantWearGOLD Sun 23-Sep-12 00:59:59

tiffany!!

<splutter>

Birdsgottafly Sun 23-Sep-12 01:01:04

If the smellis just a general lack of grooming smell, then i would leave them.

If they are dirty around their back end, or eyes etc, then i have always used cotton pads with warm water, they don't normally mind, if done gently.

chinley Sun 23-Sep-12 01:03:45

Thanks, I'll just do a quick wipe round there then. One of them stood in it's poop in the litter tray earlier and I cleaned it's paw with a femfresh. I hope that wasn't an awful idea.

Longdistance Sun 23-Sep-12 01:05:27

I love a soggy moggy. But, they are still young, so leave them be for now.

juniper904 Sun 23-Sep-12 01:13:31

I frequently have to bathe my cats as they are long furred and stupid prone to poo issues.

I tend to wash them in the sink, then bundle them up in a towel. I did it with one cat when she was tiny, and I was quite worried about her because I thought she'd lose heat too quickly. She ended up under my t-shirt, purring away. Incidentally, she had smeared poo throughout her fur so I had little choice!

chinley Sun 23-Sep-12 10:17:05

Thanks, they're just a bit clumsy and keep falling over in the litter tray. I'll give them a helping hand until they can do it properly themselves. smile

I had two long haired kittens. The female was fine, the male, otoh wasn't, and frequently came home covered in his own poo (sadly he never got the hang of it, in the end I used to just trim his arse hairs and this helped!)! He was often dumped unceremoniously in the bath when young. Don't use anything too harsh, and dry them quickly, and they should be fine.

Latara Sun 23-Sep-12 10:54:34

Do a risk assessment.

There are 2 main risks.

8 SETS OF SHARP CLAWS & 2 SETS OF SHARP TEETH.

Is it worth the risk??

HTH.

thebody Sun 23-Sep-12 11:03:37

Oh god op, am sooo broody for a kitten.

puds11 Sun 23-Sep-12 11:06:51

PMSL at you cleaning them with femfresh!

freddiefrog Sun 23-Sep-12 11:07:57

Good luck!

I still bear the scars from when my (now 14 year old) cat fell into a bath I was in when she was a kitten

WelshMaenad Sun 23-Sep-12 11:12:06

Just clean their bum with damp cotton wool and wipe off any poo they fall into. 7 weeks is a bit young to be away from mum, who would go all this grooming.

We have 2 kittens as well, it older than yours. Don't do what my toddler did last week and put one in the tumble drier...

She was fine, before anyone panics...

multipoodles Sun 23-Sep-12 11:14:05

DON'T if you value your eyes sad

Many years ago we had a cat, now as an experienced DOG (note not cat) groomer I thought no problem, I slipped a lead on him filled the utility room sink with warm water and began.

When he hit the water he took off like a helicopter using curtains, wall, my head and especially my face and eyes as the wall of death, there were teeth, claws and fur flying, I thought I had been blinded!! My husband came into the room as he thought I was being murdered and rescued me, he'd owned cats all his life and just stated matter of factly.. you NEVER bath cats and LIVE.

I was scared for life! Use a dry cat shampoo and enjoy your eyesight smile

directoroflegacy Sun 23-Sep-12 11:31:20

Chinley If it doesn't end well please do not post about it, you will be thought of as a hairy handed one, Helen @ MNHQ will get a crick in her deleting finger and buttons at HQ will explode!!!!

Latara Sun 23-Sep-12 12:04:49

For ''Poo Bum'' (as my sister's friend calls it - she has 2 long-haired cats) - don't use Femfresh as the kittens may lick off the Femfresh before you can stop them & will get ill.

Keep Bum hair trimmed short.

Clean with wet kitchen towels if needed.

Keep litter trays immaculate so the kitties don't sit on their own pee / poo when they need to go - they may use another place in the house if the tray is dirty!

Brush & comb cats daily if they have long fur to avoid matted fur & fur balls.

Remember that cats should learn & be able to clean their fur by licking it; that's why they have the 'Universal Joint' - if a cat that is old enough to leave it's mother (basically older than 7 weeks!) is unable to clean itself then it needs a check-up at the vets cos something is wrong.

Ps. 'Poo-Bum' is a very useful phrase for so much that is wrong with the world smile

echt Sun 23-Sep-12 12:11:10

Amazed anyone thinks it's ok for kittens not to be with their mum. shock

chinley Sun 23-Sep-12 12:53:08

Well, I wiped one of them down with a damp flannel just now. It was fine, she was just a little hard to keep still while I was doing it. She's still friends with me and is happily playing now.

latara, they're cleaning themselves but they seem to just do a quick, rubbish job then get bored and want to play.

MrsRajeshKoothrappali Sun 23-Sep-12 13:55:12

7 weeks old?

They should still be with their mum, she will clean them.

Put them with her and she'll sort it all out for you.

smile

Birdsgottafly Sun 23-Sep-12 14:06:40

Unfortuately some people let them go at 6 weeks.

If you are in line for a kitten and you are going to be a good owner, it would be better to take them than let them be given to anyone.

My DD once had to take 4 week old kittens because otherwise the owner of the cat was going to leave them in a telephone box.

We fed them and all but one survived.

Secondsop Sun 23-Sep-12 14:10:20

They do tend to step in their own poo. When we had kittens we'd grab them after they'd done their business and give them a clean with a bit of wet kitchen towel.

fairtomiddling Sun 23-Sep-12 14:14:08

I've had to bathe 5 week old kittens before - they were long-haired and their (stray) mum had been run over so they'd been on their own for days before someone found them and were matted and smelly. Didn't do them any harm. smile Cotton wool and warm water might be better for less extreme circumstances though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now