Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think that if you give your child a name that more commonly belongs to the opposite sex, or name your child after a vegetable...

(245 Posts)
Jacksmania Sun 23-Sep-12 00:37:04

... then you shouldn't be all that surprised to get comments from people?

Disclaimer: I absolutely believe that anyone should be allowed to name their child whatever they like, as long as it's not obviously offensive. I mean, "Fuckface" or whatever is obviously out grin

I'm asking this because I've found myself in two separate situations this week where I ended up thinking, "well, come on..." but then wondered what the MN Jury would think.

Will try to be as brief as possible:

1 - acquaintance was registering her DD for ballet lessons. Her DD is named something most commonly male.
Acquaintance to ballet school: "I'd like to register my DD "male name" for ballet class Tuesday nights at x time."
Ballet school: "I'm sorry but boys' ballet classes are Wednesdays at x time".
Acquaintance: "as I said, I'd like to register my daughter "male name" for ballet at x time"
Ballet school: "your daughter "male name"?..."
Acquaintance: (seething) "yes my daughter "male name""
Ballet school: "..."

Acquaintance hangs up and starts ranting about idiocy of school who can't grasp that "male name" might be a girl. I listen but then stupidly say "well, you have to admit, it's not usually ever that I've heard of a girl's name".
Acquaintance: angryangryangry at me.

2 - friend makes reference to her teenage son whose name is in fact that of a leafy green vegetable. Person who can be a bit of a knobber in surrounding group overhears and in a sneering tone says to friend "did you say "x" was your teenager's name??"
Friend says yes. Knobber person says "you are aware that "teenager's name" is in fact a green leafy vegetable??" Friend (obviously irritated) says "yes". Knobber walks off smirking.

Friend is upset with Knobber, as was I because really he didn't need to be quite that knobbish about it... and I've obviously learned my lesson because I didn't say anything this time, but thought to myself, "well, he does have a point".

So - AIBU to think that you should probably expect comments all your child's life if you name them after a leafy green, or give a girl a boy's name or vice versa? I do understand it gets tiresome, but, well...
And want to add that I in no way condone rudeness!!! I think it should be possible to ask or comment without being horrible.

THEMardy Sun 23-Sep-12 00:39:11

You know someone called cabbage?

Lakota Sun 23-Sep-12 00:40:34

YANBU. There was a girl on X Factor this evening who was apparently called Collagen. Unusual.

Lakota Sun 23-Sep-12 00:40:55

Was the teenager called Kale?

Jacksmania Sun 23-Sep-12 00:41:24

PMSL @ cabbage grin

Lakota, yes!

cece Sun 23-Sep-12 00:41:48

Cabbage is indeed a strange name.

LadyBeagleEyes Sun 23-Sep-12 00:42:22

Leafy green vegetable. He was called Cabbage? Lettuce?
What one, I can't think.

cece Sun 23-Sep-12 00:42:27

Oh Kale, yes that would make more sense. blush

Heavensmells Sun 23-Sep-12 00:42:30

I need to know the veg name! Sprout? Spinach? Kale?

Heavensmells Sun 23-Sep-12 00:43:17

Ha ha x posts big time

Jacksmania Sun 23-Sep-12 00:43:29

Sprout gringringrin

Wetthemogwai Sun 23-Sep-12 00:44:35

I'm suggesting cabbage on the next baby names thread...

What was the girls boy name?

ClaudiaSchiffer Sun 23-Sep-12 00:46:09

YANBU

But in defense of some mad parents; when crazed with pregnancy hormones I desperately wanted to call dd Lettice. I mean FOR GODS SAKE WHAT WAS I THINKING. Fortunately for dd, dh put his foot down I came to my senses when she was born.

People are often idiots though and get shirty about all sorts of things, we must however feel sympathy for them and rise above it.

monsterchild Sun 23-Sep-12 00:46:22

Lettuce Cup?
Chard?
Brussell?
Urach?

deleted203 Sun 23-Sep-12 00:46:25

I suspect 'Collagen' on XFactor re-named herself after her favourite product having just watched her (although she should have possibly re-named herself Whisky, considering she got faintly pissed before she went on). One of my favourites was years ago when 'new' names were just coming out. I went to nursery school party where the leader had brought her 20 yr old DD and granny with her. DD had a baby.....and when I said to granny 'Oh, she's lovely - what's she called?' the old lady sniffed and said, 'I can't remember - I allus calls her Chutney'. DD was furious and was hissing, 'It's COURTNEY, gran - COURTNEY' grin.

Jacksmania Sun 23-Sep-12 00:53:55

OK good - I'm glad that so far no one thinks I'm being a cow unreasonable. See how MN creeps into your thinking grin

This happens occasionally -- frequently-- in The Brain of Jacks:
Jacks: <knee jerk reaction>
Brain of Jacks: "uh-oh, are those judgypants I see? If you put this on AIBU, would you get flamed?"
Jacks: blush

I obviously need a life.

Jacksmania Sun 23-Sep-12 00:58:48

Claudia - Lettice is, ermm... pretty. It is. If you really stress the i.
It's probably best that DH intervened though.

SkippyYourFriendEverTrue Sun 23-Sep-12 00:59:13

Kale is a ridiculous name.

You might as well call your child Brassica.

Jacksmania Sun 23-Sep-12 01:00:52

I like Brassica.

thebody Sun 23-Sep-12 01:00:56

Actually lettuce is a very old Victorian name, look around any grave yard and you find a lettice( iucwim)

Personally I like chenin, and Chardonnay,, as names of course..

Jacksmania Sun 23-Sep-12 01:01:52

I like them as wines. Especially Chardonnay.

nailak Sun 23-Sep-12 01:02:20

lettice is a bit like leticia?

was the girl called jack or john?

if it was jamie or something it could be unisex?

ClaudiaSchiffer Sun 23-Sep-12 01:06:22

Yes Jacksmania, what was the boys name for the girl?

Gordon?

Brian?

Vernon?

<hopeful>

TheOneAndOnlyMaryZed Sun 23-Sep-12 01:06:26

YANBU.

And I can't help thinking Broccoli grin I am disappointed with Kale as it is (almost) acceptable as a name.

Jacksmania Sun 23-Sep-12 01:06:58

No, it definitely isn't what would be considered unisex.

I'll say if you all think it's ok?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now