Talk

Advanced search

To think my sister in law won't want her bag back? (Very trivial)

(30 Posts)
Cathycomehome Sat 22-Sep-12 23:22:01

We went over to my mum's today to see them and my brother and sil and their baby, who is five months older than ours. It was very lovely to see them, particularly as they live a couple of hundred miles away. My sil gave me some baby clothes my nephew has outgrown in a coop bag, not a plastic one, but one of those canvas use again ones.

They left to catch their train, and as we were leaving a bit later, my mum says, "Don't forget to post X's bag back to her".

Then, when I spoke to my mum on the phone later to say were back, she again says, "Oh, you won't forget to post that bag back to x, will you?"

Am I missing something? Will my sil actually want me to post her coop bag back to her, or is my mum being mental??

zippy539 Sat 22-Sep-12 23:24:59

Your mum is being mental.

VBisme Sat 22-Sep-12 23:26:06

No, she won't want it back, we've got about 2 dozen of them!

Cathycomehome Sat 22-Sep-12 23:26:53

Are you my sil? grin

QuacksForDoughnuts Sat 22-Sep-12 23:27:12

I can't speak for your SIL, but it's the sort of thing I'd want back eventually as a) I'm always using them, getting them dirty and running out before I have a chance to wash them and hence wouldn't want to lose one and b) I collect canvas shopping bags from places I visit. Obviously b doesn't apply if it's a supermarket one, but a might. Having said that, it can probably wait until you see SIL again, assuming it's a matter of months rather than years. It sounds like you and SIL are on good terms, why not drop her an email to ask if it needs returning soon?

Justhadenough Sat 22-Sep-12 23:34:35

I doubt SIL would want it back otherwise she would of mentioned it.
You could always call her and ask though.
Seems a waste of a stamp to mail it to her, may be you could wait till you see her again, if you really want to.

RaisinDEtre Sat 22-Sep-12 23:37:56

they are quite spenny though

I would send back

your mum is bothered because your not sending the bag back might impact on her relationship with SIL praps

AlwaysHoldingOnToStars Sat 22-Sep-12 23:51:06

I would ask her, or your brother, if she really wants it back. I wouldn't post it, unless she lives miles away and you're not going to see her for months.

If I were giving someone clothes I wouldn't give them in a bag I wanted back, so I don't think it's unreasonable to think she wouldn't want it back.

apostropheuse Sat 22-Sep-12 23:52:54

I think if she particularly wanted it back she would have mentioned it herself.

It's hardly a designer handbag - just a cheap canvas supermarket bag!

I wouldn't give it another thought to be honest.

KellyMarieTunstall Sun 23-Sep-12 00:01:34

To be the perfect receiver of passed on clothes you could put the clothes back in the bag once outgrown and give them back to her so that she can decide what to do with them next.

Job done grin

Cathycomehome Sun 23-Sep-12 00:29:19

Ah, now, Kellymarie, this is what I will do! I'm a bit worried that she will,in fact, think I am mental if I send her just the bag, or email her asking if she wants the bag, but your way is flawless! Thank you [flowers]

Cathycomehome Sun 23-Sep-12 00:29:49

I messed up the flowers, sorry!

notanaxemurderer Sun 23-Sep-12 06:52:20

If she really wanted it back she wouldn't have given you the items in the bag.

If you sent me a canvas bag in the mail I'd think YOU were mental.

BoneyBackJefferson Sun 23-Sep-12 09:57:09

you could ask her.

Cathycomehome Sun 23-Sep-12 10:00:17

Yes, but if I ask her, she might think I'm mental grin

Still like Kellymarie's solution best!

BoneyBackJefferson Sun 23-Sep-12 10:06:48

just say that your mum keeps bringing it up and that you wanted to make sure.

BigRedIndiaRubberBall Sun 23-Sep-12 10:08:45

Your mum is nuts.

I'm not sure about KellieMarie's solution either though - I'm really looking forward to getting rid of baby stuff and would be secretly dismayed if I got it all back again!

Best solution is to just ask. Or give her it back with a big thank you cake and bottle of wine in?

SuePurblybilt Sun 23-Sep-12 10:10:17

It is the kind of thing that some people get very odd about though.

toddlerama Sun 23-Sep-12 10:17:42

Do you think she might have said to your mum that she wants the bag returned? Or does your mum flap about small things and get attached to the idea that everyone should behave as she deems proper (not that I know what that feels like...grin)

Badgerina Sun 23-Sep-12 10:17:54

Yup mental. Why don't you give the bag to your mum to post back to your SIL? It's clearly something she feels is important. Sounds like she's desperate to keep on your SIL's good side...

porthcurnick Sun 23-Sep-12 10:34:57

By the time you've bought something to post it in and paid postage SIL might as well just buy a new one. I would think you were mental if you sent a bag back to me in post, SIL and your DB would have a little bemused laugh about it I'm sure.

And I would have been gutted to get old baby stuff back I've given away.

Mind you I do think it's lovely that your mum is really worried about upsetting SIL and wants to keep on good terms with her. As a side note is she sure it's not actually your brother's bag. grin

TheMonster Sun 23-Sep-12 10:36:51

Surely she wouldn't have used it if she wanted it back. Don't post it back - she will think you are mental.

HecateHarshPants Sun 23-Sep-12 10:50:23

Does your mum think your SIL is the sort of person who would make an issue out of a carrier bag?

IS your SIL the sort of person to make an issue out of a carrier bag?

I agree with Badgerina. Hand the bag to your mum. It's something that she's clearly worried about! (which is a bit worrying! It's a carrier bag. Makes me wonder what's the real issue here) So let her deal with it.

Cathycomehome Sun 23-Sep-12 11:23:24

Crikey this is more of a minefield than I imagined! I will give the bag to my mum!

I would think my sil was mental if she packed up and posted the carrier bag to me, fwiw! grin

WelshMaenad Sun 23-Sep-12 11:30:27

I would not put donated stuff in a reusable bag unless I was happy for people to keep it.

My MIL is a mental person, when she gives us stuff in a supermarket carrier bag, she makes a point of saying "you can keep the bag!" Like she's bestowing a Fendi baguette. Is that normal? confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now