Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think small children should not be knocking on doors

(11 Posts)
threeOrangesocksmorgan Sat 22-Sep-12 21:40:47

offering to wash cars?
now I have to say I lol as they were very small and I have a massive van, but this isn't the first time they have knocked.
I did do the 'you shouldn't knock on strangers doors thing' but aibu to think it is unsafe/,
I live on an estate. it isn't one where everyone knows each other, and I do not know these children
I would guess them to be about 5 or 6

WorraLiberty Sat 22-Sep-12 21:42:37

That's far too young.

My friend and I used to go car washing when we were about 12yrs old.

We built up quite a regular round too.

PicklesThePottyMouthedParrot Sat 22-Sep-12 21:44:08

I'd get them in and mopping my floors though.

BackforGood Sat 22-Sep-12 21:46:18

No, it's best to use the smallest ones to clean the chimneys -as they get older, they no longer fit.

Badgerina Sat 22-Sep-12 21:46:48

Jesus! That's WAY too young. Where the hell did they get the idea from?

threeOrangesocksmorgan Sat 22-Sep-12 21:58:15

the first time 2 very little ones came round,
this time it was a group, there was one slightly older child....about 8
seemed odd ot let them do it so young

gordyslovesheep Sat 22-Sep-12 22:06:54

that's ridiculous - 5/6 year olds would scratch the fuck our of your paint work for starters, bet they are rubbish with a shammy as well

greenbananas Sat 22-Sep-12 22:07:55

I don't think this is a safe thing for them to be doing, and maybe their parents didn't know they were doing it. (When I was a child, we had all sorts of similar schemes for making money without our parents' knowledge, and I cringe to think of them now.)

If these children come back, ask for a telephone number so you can check with their parents that it's okay. If they can't or won't give you one, I'd consider calling the local community police team. I'm generally pretty laid back about children being out and about on their own, but I do think these children could be putting themselves at quite considerable risk.

OrangeLily Sat 22-Sep-12 22:09:06

Awh that's quite sweet. Me and my friends used to do things like this too. Still have books in them with the handmade library ticket holders in them, thought we could make money running a private library. The perfume 'counter' we used to run on the street was fabulous! smile

pigletmania Sun 23-Sep-12 00:31:20

This used to happen a lot back in th day. They are too young though, my nephew now 33,used to go round with his friend when they were 8/9 washing cars

ThreadWatcher Sun 23-Sep-12 00:50:10

I recently had two kids of a similar age at my door.

They were trying to sell me homemade perfume.

From a lemonade bottle

Except it wasnt them that did the talking - it was teenage girl (older sister?) who appeared to be drunk............

Twas most odd and alarming.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now